Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone 12

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2020, 09:47 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default iPhone 12

Just watched Apple's latest iPhone 12 anouncement and after 3 years of Google Pixel 2 and the disappointment of the Pixel 5 even though Carphonewarehouse is offering the free pair of Bose QC35ii headphones for the Pixel 5 (£599) and whilst initially tempted, I'm think I gonna switch back to Apple with the iPhone 12 Pro. Whilst its still expensive (and I have said I'd never spend a grand on a phone!) I think the iPhone has advanced just enough for me part with my cash! It has everything, great screen, great cameras, good battery life (if the iPhone 11 is anything to go by!). The only thing that would have been the cherry on the cake is a 3.5mm headphone jack. Yes, after all these years I still lament the loss of one tiny bit of legacy tech!
Old 14 October 2020, 05:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

First iphone since the 4 that’s actually got my interest.

Got a 6S and kicked my self for not having the SE; The curved bezel and top heavy designs offered from the 6 onwards have been a ergonomic disappointment. The 12 Mini seems a step back to sensibly sized phones; I still have a 4S permanently used as a ipod in one of my cars (25 year old pioneer radio with a IP bus input and no mp3 capeability ).

Boycotted Samsung (although have been given a Galaxy something which was just pure nasty so lives at the back of a drawer somewhere), and traditionally liked Xperias, but Sony fell behind the times. So stuck with the 6S hoping a manufacturer will bring out something smaller and better weighted/less droppable....

Just got to try and get my hands on one

And yes, will miss the 3.5mm jack. So versatile really, and a £20 pair of buds will give better audio than bluetooth buds costing double, of which you’ll inevitably lose one or forget to charge. Can if course use a lightening socket adapter, but need to ensure it has a decent DAC chip otherwise it sounds crap (judging of the sound quality of some I swear some DACs still use 741op amps), Apple’s own adapter was OK though.
Old 14 October 2020, 05:52 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Iv just switched from 8+ to the X , since the thing was too large / heavy

but the aspect ratio on the X I don’t like much

Looks like same dilemma with this new one and it’s bigger brother
Old 14 October 2020, 09:32 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

The 12 come with charger and head phones?
Old 14 October 2020, 10:32 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

No charger or headphones, but that's not an issue, still have my old chargers sitting in the draw from my iPhone 4, 5 and 6 along with their headphones plus my couple of my decent earbuds, so kinda makes sense that they don't ship with one. Plus given how many they're likely to sell, that makes a huge reduction in costs, resources, packaging and environmental impact.
Old 15 October 2020, 04:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Pity about the charger; they were handy to reliably power other USB devices. As is the trend for Chinese crap to be shipped without a power supply (last one was a table lamp) and aftermarket USB supplies have a nasty habit of failing, emitted electrical noise that messes up wifi range (or zigbee, z-wave etc) or worse blowing up, melting or catching fire, even seemingly ‘genuine Apple’ ones, which turn out to extremely good counterfeits and can only be identified by weighing them, although counterfeiters are wise to that so will pack a lump of metal or brick in them to get the correct weight!

Amazon and Ebay was/is overran with them, so much so I just will not buy a USB supply from either...Id rather not have my home catch fire whilst I’m sleeping.

Really something UK government should get to grips with...its not as if many other places use our type of plugs (Singapore, Cyprus, Hong Kong and Bermuda off the top of my head).

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 15 October 2020, 05:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
No charger or headphones, but that's not an issue, still have my old chargers sitting in the draw from my iPhone 4, 5 and 6 along with their headphones plus my couple of my decent earbuds, so kinda makes sense that they don't ship with one. Plus given how many they're likely to sell, that makes a huge reduction in costs, resources, packaging and environmental impact.
I think it comes with a USB-C to Lightning cable which won't work in old chargers
Old 15 October 2020, 06:58 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I think it comes with a USB-C to Lightning cable which won't work in old chargers
For me, that's ok, still have my original iPhone charging cables and can used my Pixel charging block with the new USB C to lightning cable 👍 Why they didn't they just ditch the lightning port for USB C....☹️
Old 16 October 2020, 11:15 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
For me, that's ok, still have my original iPhone charging cables and can used my Pixel charging block with the new USB C to lightning cable 👍 Why they didn't they just ditch the lightning port for USB C....☹️
You don't remember the backlash when they moved to Lightning? Personally I wish they'd rip off the plaster and go USB-C or as I suspect just remove all ports.
Old 16 October 2020, 07:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Given wireless charging, over the air updates and wi-fi real world throughput speeds now exceeding 500Mbps (albeit in close proximity to router), which is as fast as a traditional lightning port. So unless they fit a faster port, there is little point in having it.... would rather they get rid of that and put the 3.5mm jack back!

Although all those with iphone/ipod docks won’t be happy (I won’t cry if my 25yr old car radio using a 15yr old dock is finally made obsolete).

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 October 2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 26 October 2020, 08:01 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Going to get a 12 Mini. Its the smallest form factor since the 5 and I really can't stand big phones as mine spends its life in my back pocket. Fiancee recently got the SE2 and that's till too big but the camera is so much better than my SE1
Old 06 November 2020, 01:13 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Just placed a pre-order for the Pacific Blue 12 Pro Max! Should arrive sometime next week.
Old 07 November 2020, 05:34 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

One of my favourite phones was my iphone 4 and the only phone i've ever queued up for on release day. The 12 looks to be a modern retake of the 4 in design and it's very tempting to get one and finally move my 7+ on.
Old 12 January 2021, 11:40 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I've had the iPhone 12 Pro Max for a couple of months. Have to say I still need to get used to the idiosyncrasies of iOS after 3 years of Android. Also Face ID is definitely a pain in the *** with having to wear face masks everywhere, but on the whole it's a great phone. Build wise it is SOLID! and maybe a little too heavy but it is a trade off with having a larger screen and battery that I'm willing to accept plus the camera is pretty phenomenal. They say the best camera is the one that you always have with you and with a recent update it's now able to shoot photos in RAW and the video also shoot in 10bit 4K HDR and is really not that far off from your typical midrange DSLR or mirrorless camera for quick snaps!

Here's how I got my iPhone though can't guarentee it'll work for you....
Old 14 January 2021, 10:12 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Mine arrives today, ordered on Monday. Upgrading from an 8+ expecting good things.
Old 02 February 2021, 11:12 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Many iPhone users are finding this means they need to laboriously enter their passcodes every time they want to use their phone
ahhhh diddums, having to enter a password, such first world problems

Apple certainly know how to part the sheep from their money don't they

https://news.sky.com/story/apple-fig...watch-12206264