Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virgin...no modem only mode? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2020, 12:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Virgin...no modem only mode? WTF?

So, needed to get a VPN working at work so could do stuff from home.

Easy, I thought...I had Virgin at my old house with a VPN. OpenVPN via a Asus RT-N66U also doing DDNS and a SH3 in modem mode, all worked beautifully. All I have do is replicate the same setup at work.

Nope.

The modem only mode has disappeared! Thought I was going mad.

Needs to in that mode as I end up with a double NAT situation which screws up the OpenVPN and DDNS on the Asus (it should work with tweaking, but it won’t)

Dude on the phone couldn’t fix or explain it so engineer coming our later to take a look...I suspect this is something to do IPv6 ?? Who knows, frustrating that what should have been a simple plug and play (plus a few clicks) solution that would have took 15mins took several hours trying to get the virgin hub to indiscriminately forward all traffic straight to the Asus router (firewall disabled, DHCP disabled etc.)

Oh and win10 remote desktop sucks. User permissions ‘family’ devices, online user accounts...yeah all looks pretty but try logging in? Nah! Thankfully plenty of other remote desktop solutions to try.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 April 2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03 April 2020, 05:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Virgin guy here now...can’t understand why the option isn’t there...phoned three colleagues so far and they all said the same...there ‘should’ be a modem mode.
Old 06 April 2020, 03:01 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Write to head of virgin requesting a stand alone modem because you need your own setup for whatever reason, used to work, don't know if it still does, I always use aftermarket hardware personally
Old 06 April 2020, 05:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well, it took a second visit and more phone calls.

Modem mode now enabled....but had to be done remotely, presumably via a command line prompt (telnet?).

Just have to sort out microsoft’s cluster f**k that is online user accounts not tallying with local ones meaning shared folders aren’t accessible (even public ones ). At least I can fix that at home just dressed in my underwear now
Old 07 April 2020, 09:43 AM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

This doesn't sound good, got a few customers with Virgin routers in modem only and then we have managed Drayteks behind them doing everything.
Old 14 April 2020, 12:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well it’s something to keep a eye on in future. Even if it disappears from the user GUI, it’s still there underneath. I guess if enough customers still demand it, it will carry on.

I’ve moved house since and we only have FTCC (1mbps upload ). The supplied BT hub has no modem mode. But least I can dump that for my own modem/router if need be...not possible on Virgin!
Old 02 February 2021, 02:10 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this thread is mega old but food for thought, i have the Hub 4 for my 1 gig pipe, and when i first popped it in Modem mode and hooked in the Orbi i thought all was good, but unknown to me it hadn't fully done it, Xbox etc picked up double NAT, so i had to re-do it, now alls good...

Old 02 February 2021, 06:35 PM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I had to one of these yesterday. Customer was getting the latest Virgin hub as his old business one was no longer supported. Spoke to the virgin engineer on site who put it in modem only mode (he did something to the wireless settings in the hub to do this apparently, god knows, lol) and the server and PC's on site got internet straight away. Couldn't get on any of them remotely though and the voip phone system on site not working. Despite being in modem only mode, the hub was still using the firewall on the hub, ended up DMZing our router that was behind the hub and everything started working properly. I thought I was going to run into a double natting issues as well as the Draytek and LAN are 2 different private ranges, the virgin connection to the Draytek is also a LAN address. It all worked so I ran away quickly

Just wish the customer had told us in advance that this was happening!!!!
Old 02 February 2021, 06:40 PM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Whilst here I will also mention I have discovered the delight of a pi-hole on a raspberry pi. It does all my DNS and blocks ads I had issues as my sky router (bt hubs are the same) do not allow you to edit the DNS in their routers, pi-hole does DHCP too, so disabled the DHCP on the router and pi-hole now does my DHCP and DNS for all my devices without having to edit the NIC cards individually.
Old 02 February 2021, 06:52 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scooobydont
Funnily enough I had to one of these yesterday. Customer was getting the latest Virgin hub as his old business one was no longer supported. Spoke to the virgin engineer on site who put it in modem only mode (he did something to the wireless settings in the hub to do this apparently, god knows, lol) and the server and PC's on site got internet straight away. Couldn't get on any of them remotely though and the voip phone system on site not working. Despite being in modem only mode, the hub was still using the firewall on the hub, ended up DMZing our router that was behind the hub and everything started working properly. I thought I was going to run into a double natting issues as well as the Draytek and LAN are 2 different private ranges, the virgin connection to the Draytek is also a LAN address. It all worked so I ran away quickly

Just wish the customer had told us in advance that this was happening!!!!
if it’s working then your good, but what I did was reset it, login and choose modem only and wait 2 mins then turn it off wait 1 min then boot it

i think if you rush the first part it kinda doesn’t finish
Not that you can rush it but choose modem mode and then turn it off it breaks, you can tell as you’ll get a wan IP on your Draytek

Old 02 February 2021, 07:00 PM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
if it’s working then your good, but what I did was reset it, login and choose modem only and wait 2 mins then turn it off wait 1 min then boot it

i think if you rush the first part it kinda doesn’t finish
Not that you can rush it but choose modem mode and then turn it off it breaks, you can tell as you’ll get a wan IP on your Draytek
Thanks, noted. It's not often we have to deal with the Virgin hubs.
Old 03 February 2021, 01:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Back at my old house I had a Hub 3, and I did note that it did a lot of faffing going into modem only mode. It did seem glitchy and couldn't get internet and my Asus router that was plugged into it wasn't getting an IP on the WAN port. Plugged in a PC in to superhub to access the GUI and then it started working! Disconnected PC, put Asus back on then left it alone

Also when was used in normal mode the firewall settings wouldn't work unless the ports were in ascending numerical order

Pretty certain the GUI is badly coded/glitchy that hardware just rejects it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 February 2021 at 01:30 PM.