Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Samsung updates vs Apple updates

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2019, 06:37 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Samsung updates vs Apple updates

I thought I was ready to jump ship and pull the trigger on a Samsung S9 after it convinced me that it was the better buy than the iPhone 8. Then I read about the updates.

Apple have offered updates for their phones for many years after they release them which is good as I find that apps often don’t work on my old phones (iPhone 5 for example) when they can no longer update. To read that Samsung only support for 2-3 years is a concern. Do their apps not need updating like iPhones do?
Old 25 April 2019, 07:43 PM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apple might release update for older phones for longer periods but just remember their biggest scam ever was to limit the performance of older models by up to 50 % to counteract the aging battery life of these devices. It hit them so bad with negative press that they lowered the cost of batter replacements in stores from £90 to £30 . Android I believe also charge lower fees for the play store for developers than apple as mor

Also remember app update are nothing to do with device manufactures , it to do with the app developers.

Android have about 70% market share, 1% windows phones and apple about 29%. iPhone have a limited phone range in comparison to the multitudes of android manufactures on the market, hence why they are normally cheaper and you will find insurance premiums for android repairs are lower than the equivalent apple.
Old 25 April 2019, 08:14 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Which is another good reason to stick with Apple. Much cheaper battery replacement.

Anyway this is about apps and games not being able to load without os updates. If I buy a S9 then I have 1 more year of guaranteed updates?.. or have I got it wrong?

The S9 impresses me more than the iPhone but there is no way I’m spending £500 on a phone that has one more year left before it can no longer guarantee that the apps will all still work properly. That is bonkers.
Old 26 April 2019, 08:28 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SRSport
Which is another good reason to stick with Apple. Much cheaper battery replacement.

Anyway this is about apps and games not being able to load without os updates. If I buy a S9 then I have 1 more year of guaranteed updates?.. or have I got it wrong?

The S9 impresses me more than the iPhone but there is no way I’m spending £500 on a phone that has one more year left before it can no longer guarantee that the apps will all still work properly. That is bonkers.
Kept my S7 until a couple of weeks ago and got the S10+ - S7 apps were all fine, updated from the store just fine and never had issues through lack of updates or anything. My brother still runs an S6 or something, battery is f@cked now but rest works fine.
Old 26 April 2019, 09:37 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I’ve only had iPhones before and I know how old iphones that are no longer supported can be a pain to use. I just wasn’t sure whether it was fair to assume Samsung would suffer the same as it was a completely different platform.
Old 26 April 2019, 10:27 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Thanks. I’ve only had iPhones before and I know how old iphones that are no longer supported can be a pain to use. I just wasn’t sure whether it was fair to assume Samsung would suffer the same as it was a completely different platform.
You're right to be wary but I think it should be fine - I'm coming from a perspective of both free apps and paid apps too, for the record.
Old 27 April 2019, 09:21 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does android get software and security updates for 4 years ?

That's more important is it not

seems to be 2 years garanteed

Last edited by dpb; 27 April 2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 27 April 2019, 12:52 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Does android get software and security updates for 4 years ?

That's more important is it not

seems to be 2 years garanteed
Mine was getting updates the whole time I had it. I was also running trend micro mobile security on mine too, though.
Old 20 May 2019, 04:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Bit of a gift to apple !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48330310

like they need it
Old 20 May 2019, 04:34 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

This is not good news, i love my Honor 8x by Huawei and was thinking of upgrading to another Huawei.
Old 20 May 2019, 06:02 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Bit of a gift to apple !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48330310

like they need it
and to Samsung...
Old 21 May 2019, 09:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

So South Korea are less concerned about Huawei
Old 21 May 2019, 12:28 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
So South Korea are less concerned about Huawei
Well, they were Huawei's target to knock off the number one spot. Less competition for Samsung is good for them, same as it is for Apple. US seems to have been talking about relaxing the ban/implications, for those who work with Huawei, a bit (or something) as it's apparently majorly affecting some US companies who don't want to be blacklisted for working with Huawei.
Old 27 May 2019, 06:13 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Huawei is state owned, so it won't end well for Trump.
Old 27 May 2019, 07:29 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hux309
Huawei is state owned, so it won't end well for Trump.
But that is not what the company claim.
Old 18 October 2019, 03:38 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

SO my input, ive had every Iphone going last was iPhone XS Max, but being into Photography I plumped for a Huawai P30Pro 512 in April, first impression were ok, Dual sim was handy for work/personal but after 6 months of using it I saw the android weaknesses VS Apple and eventually reclaimed my XS back.. the biggest and most painful 1 for me was car integration both the wife and me drive BMW cars a Mini and X3 the android works but its only listed as a phone, when you pop an iPhone in the menu lights up and all my Apps appear like Amazon Music Audible etc, didn't happen on the P30 No I don't have CarPlay, but wife does.

Photo wise yes the p30 blows most if not all away.

Games wise I also found games advertised looked awesome and when installed were nothing like the advert, just pay to win crap, and the final straw was the inability of using android when you have iPads iMacs etc, they just don't integrate, so I went back...

So if anyone wants a 6month old P30Pro ping me ive got one for sale..... Still a nice phone though and probably 1 of the better android phones, but not for me....

Ted
Old 18 October 2019, 06:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleted
SO my input, ive had every Iphone going last was iPhone XS Max, but being into Photography I plumped for a Huawai P30Pro 512 in April, first impression were ok, Dual sim was handy for work/personal but after 6 months of using it I saw the android weaknesses VS Apple and eventually reclaimed my XS back.. the biggest and most painful 1 for me was car integration both the wife and me drive BMW cars a Mini and X3 the android works but its only listed as a phone, when you pop an iPhone in the menu lights up and all my Apps appear like Amazon Music Audible etc, didn't happen on the P30 No I don't have CarPlay, but wife does.

Photo wise yes the p30 blows most if not all away.

Games wise I also found games advertised looked awesome and when installed were nothing like the advert, just pay to win crap, and the final straw was the inability of using android when you have iPads iMacs etc, they just don't integrate, so I went back...

So if anyone wants a 6month old P30Pro ping me ive got one for sale..... Still a nice phone though and probably 1 of the better android phones, but not for me....

Ted

so your now forced to pay £1000 for a phone, £3000 for a laptop, £1000 for an ipad just to get it to work with the others. Where as if you used android you could use a multitude of manufactures products that are alot cheaper. They also link fine with windows etc.

Short version apple is forcing you to stay with them to replace it all as it sounds like its the apple devices are having integration issues with android and other manufacturers systems. I would sugest this is an apple issue as the others are well know to sync and link without issues.
Old 19 October 2019, 08:46 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
so your now forced to pay £1000 for a phone, £3000 for a laptop, £1000 for an ipad just to get it to work with the others. Where as if you used android you could use a multitude of manufactures products that are alot cheaper. They also link fine with windows etc.

Short version apple is forcing you to stay with them to replace it all as it sounds like its the apple devices are having integration issues with android and other manufacturers systems. I would sugest this is an apple issue as the others are well know to sync and link without issues.
I think the mistake I made Tidgy is that since apple launched the iPad as a family we bought them and they worked well, we did try Android but always went back to Apple, over time I spent my hard earned cash on more apple gear and the eco system was built within my house... I get where your coming from your probably android based household...yes they are expensive ive just spunked 6700 on an iMac Pro but I only did that because as ive learned over the 25 years of using windows once you get into apple OS it is really good, yeah ok gaming sucks **** beads but I run Parallels in a VM and its as good as my windows PC for frame rates. the gear is good never crashed Blue Screens or has driver issues, there are some issues with it but I work round them...... Anyway Android Boy wanna buy my P30Pro cos its gathering dust
Old 19 October 2019, 10:18 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
I think the mistake I made Tidgy is that since apple launched the iPad as a family we bought them and they worked well, we did try Android but always went back to Apple, over time I spent my hard earned cash on more apple gear and the eco system was built within my house... I get where your coming from your probably android based household...yes they are expensive ive just spunked 6700 on an iMac Pro but I only did that because as ive learned over the 25 years of using windows once you get into apple OS it is really good, yeah ok gaming sucks **** beads but I run Parallels in a VM and its as good as my windows PC for frame rates. the gear is good never crashed Blue Screens or has driver issues, there are some issues with it but I work round them...... Anyway Android Boy wanna buy my P30Pro cos its gathering dust
i've always built my own machines so the icraps are poor spec and mega high priced by comparison.

haha, im due to upgrade next month so going for a s10+ i think
Old 21 October 2019, 07:58 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

i've always built my own machines so the icraps are poor spec and mega high priced by comparison.

haha, im due to upgrade next month so going for a s10+ i think
I went for the S10+ - good phone - works very well with Android Auto and shows all the apps I need in the car, as well. Also, have a Samsung TV and a Samsung Smart Fridge, too. All connects really well.
Old 21 October 2019, 08:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
I went for the S10+ - good phone - works very well with Android Auto and shows all the apps I need in the car, as well. Also, have a Samsung TV and a Samsung Smart Fridge, too. All connects really well.

I've been looking at lots and tbh they all seem to be the same with small differences. While i have a proper SLR camera i tend to use the cam on my phone for stuff so want one with a decent camera, add int he res of the specs seems to fit the bill.
Old 21 October 2019, 09:30 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

I've been looking at lots and tbh they all seem to be the same with small differences. While i have a proper SLR camera i tend to use the cam on my phone for stuff so want one with a decent camera, add int he res of the specs seems to fit the bill.
Yeah, I like the camera, seems ok but I'm no pro when it comes to photography!

Are the Google Pixel phones cameras any good? New one is just coming out isn't it?
Old 22 October 2019, 12:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Yeah, I like the camera, seems ok but I'm no pro when it comes to photography!

Are the Google Pixel phones cameras any good? New one is just coming out isn't it?
from what i read, the camera is very very good, prob best on the market combined with the software it comes with as its specific for processing photos, but the rest of the spec isn't as good as its specifically set for photo's.

Not sure about a new one, shall have a nosey cos it may fit the bill.
Old 22 October 2019, 12:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-m...alaxy-S10-Plus

Pixel 4, S10, Pixel 4XL, S10+

on paper S10+ looks to have better spec all round.