Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Chrome OS vs Win 10

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2020, 11:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Chrome OS vs Win 10

Anyone switched from Win10 to chromeOS? Better still installed it on a windows PC?

Any general view/consensus?

I’ve lost my rag with win 10, I’m doing basic stuff like organising photos and it’s so so slow loading thumbnails (SSD 16gb ram), and scrolling in explorer is painfully slow to refresh thumbs. Even the keyboard lag for naming files is making it a ball ache. This is not on a individual machine but across a number of them of varying specs from high end to mid range. Either way all of them should have plenty of RAM and CPU power to do this kind of really really basic stuff.

Then there’s the file sharing on the same network...not seeing PCs or printers or giving file permission errors when remotely accessing folders when I can go in via a Win Vista PC with zero issues (even though the folder is on a win10 PC ). Last one was linking up to the accounts software server folder for remote access and that took 2 days of my head banging a desk and a four hour phone call to the accounts software tech support to help sort it which involved lots of random fudging in the registry.

I’m sure there’s tweeking to do to improve it, but I get the feeling that even if I do spend hours re-installing and upgrading, it’s all in vain whenever a new big update comes out and puts obstacles in the way of just simply using the damn computer.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 May 2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06 May 2020, 06:29 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

What Win 10 version are you running??
For networking make sure SMB1 auto removal is not ticked and the rest are...

Old 06 May 2020, 09:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Will have to double check the above...did mess around with smb 1.0 but not via features.

Some have Business, some Home. Most of the network/share issues were on the business PCs. But do have weirdness on Home...for example I have a DLNA streambox for music which can stream via itunes: Vista no issue, win 7 no issue, iphone no issue...win10 doesn’t work.

Oh and screen mirroring to the TV (sony), works about half of the time. It’s just pants really.
Old 07 May 2020, 08:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

uh, what lag? no issues with mine, what anti virus you running?
Old 07 May 2020, 08:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Depends on PC... Eset smart security on a few, Nod32 on others.

Totally disabled it anyway. No difference.

I could clean slate it all, but I really really can’t be arsed with it any wore, plus it’s HP and Dell OEM installs anyway.
Old 08 May 2020, 12:04 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Depends on PC... Eset smart security on a few, Nod32 on others.

Totally disabled it anyway. No difference.

I could clean slate it all, but I really really can’t be arsed with it any wore, plus it’s HP and Dell OEM installs anyway.

ah, theres your problem, dell and hp put on so much crap running in the background its unbelievable. Mate was on about sacking his computer off and getting a totaly new one it was running that bad, that was about 18 months ago. Clean windows install (download the USB stick latest install from the MS website and dont have to spend 3 hours patching it) and its prob only just about ready for upgrading now so given him anouther 18 months of life out of it.

The amount of bloat ware they put on is horendus.
Old 08 May 2020, 01:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

They were all fine when new though, the business ones don’t appear to have the bloatware like the domestic/home user PCs do.

And the one HP laptop was clean slated with a retail version of Win10 home as HP fecked it up after replacing the mainboard under warranty after the power socket fried itself (long story). But even after sorting that it is just as laggy as the others with basic stuff like on keyboard response...I can type almost twice as fast it takes to appear on screen...CPU and HD activity isn’t maxed out plenty of free RAM etc.

We’re digressing though....

I’m here because I want to know about chromeOS

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 May 2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12 May 2020, 03:18 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I've used ChromeOS for a couple of years.

I think it's excellent for html based apps, but the file browsing capabilities are limited in my experience, so if the reason for switching is that browsing files is too slow in windows, then I'm not sure chromeos is a good candidate to move to
Old 12 May 2020, 05:20 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Anyone switched from Win10 to chromeOS? Better still installed it on a windows PC?

Any general view/consensus?

I’ve lost my rag with win 10, I’m doing basic stuff like organising photos and it’s so so slow loading thumbnails (SSD 16gb ram), and scrolling in explorer is painfully slow to refresh thumbs. Even the keyboard lag for naming files is making it a ball ache. This is not on a individual machine but across a number of them of varying specs from high end to mid range. Either way all of them should have plenty of RAM and CPU power to do this kind of really really basic stuff.

Index the hard drive you've got your photos on.
This will speed up file explorer: Type
Indexing Options into the input box by the Windows symbol on the task bar. ...

Then there’s the file sharing on the same network...not seeing PCs or printers or giving file permission errors when remotely accessing folders when I can go in via a Win Vista PC with zero issues (even though the folder is on a win10 PC ). Last one was linking up to the accounts software server folder for remote access and that took 2 days of my head banging a desk and a four hour phone call to the accounts software tech support to help sort it which involved lots of random fudging in the registry.

Make sure all of your motherboard integrated device drivers are the latest available, on your PC and the other PCs on your network. At least make sure you're running the latest Network Device driver for your mobo. Then you have a better chance of 'seeing' the other PCs.
If you know the make and revision number (version) of your mobo you can generally find Win 10 compatible drivers are available for even older boards on the manufacturer's website.
You can find out the Mobo details by going in to the BIOS: press the delete key repeatedly as you fire up the PC.

I’m sure there’s tweeking to do to improve it, but I get the feeling that even if I do spend hours re-installing and upgrading, it’s all in vain whenever a new big update comes out and puts obstacles in the way of just simply using the damn computer.

Run a decent 'low consumption' Anti-Virus / Internet Security package like Kaspersky, about £17 for 3 PCs and it stays cheap if you buy a new licence each year rather than renewing. (Who cares if the Russians can see your browsing history, they probably find it easier to buy it from Google or Facebook these days).

Those may help.

Last edited by SouthWalesSam; 12 May 2020 at 05:21 PM.