Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

AP verses Alcon

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2012, 05:20 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP verses Alcon

Ive currently got AP 6 pot brakes and disks on my Legacy Spec B - have always been good but of late have been juddering despite a recent change of disk and pad. Dealer has diagnosed the pistons have ceased/corroded so they need a complete overhaul. Given the likely cost should I be looking at Alcon as replacements - I've heard good things about them but not sure what others experience has been?

The ap's have served me well over 5 different cars that they have been moved to and from so I've had my monies worth....
Old 28 December 2012, 05:45 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Can only say good things for Alcon brakes. Saved my bacon big time when some ****** pulled out from a side street a little way ahead of me. I was driving my old P1 with the Alcons. Got to admit it would have been a biggie if i were driving current Type R... Gulp dread to think.

Last edited by craigo; 28 December 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 28 December 2012, 05:53 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size are the ap,s ? 330 ? 355 mm ? I ran pro drive Alcon (330mm with ds 2500 pads ) now I have ap 355mm fitted and difference is nigh and day ! I wasn't overall that impressed with the alcons ! Didn't feel much better Than my standard 4 pots !
Old 29 December 2012, 12:27 AM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz
What size are the ap,s ? 330 ? 355 mm ? I ran pro drive Alcon (330mm with ds 2500 pads ) now I have ap 355mm fitted and difference is nigh and day ! I wasn't overall that impressed with the alcons ! Didn't feel much better Than my standard 4 pots !
Good question - not sure - I've 18" alloys on the spec b - and I suspect they are 355 but wouldchsvecto check. Have been great till the last disc change where I felt they were suffering from heat problems which in turn gave steering wobble and bad feedback from the pedal - but dealer says that the pistons were not working correctly/evenly.

The spec b is a big car - and auto, so heavier on the brakes - the ap's have always been great to be honest and ive got them on my cosworth - branded cosworth but they are AP. dealer says the discs on the alcons are better and I do trust them.....

The issue is the recent problems with the ap's - but I guess after 5 years or more then would need a full overhaul - question is that the overhaul is likely to be almost 3 quarters of the price of a new set.....and who knows how long that overhaul is good for....

Last edited by mikeyw; 29 December 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 29 December 2012, 12:35 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Godspeed is who you need to speak bud.....ive heard alcons tend to warp discs . Never heard anything bad about APs.
Old 29 December 2012, 12:41 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Personally I would keep the AP,just due disc and pads are cheaper than Alcon,just ask the yours dealers how much cost the discs and pads for them

Speak here like Ian@Godspeed or Alyn@AS Performance about the rebuild yours brakes and should not cost as much you thought so,speak with them

About the dealer recommendation of the Alcon,assume they're recommend ProR Alcon combo,if yes i would say,your dealer try to make some money

What pads you are running? What brake fluid you are using ?

Jura
Old 29 December 2012, 09:16 AM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Humm - feeling that my knowledge of my own vehicle is a little lacking!!!
No idea of pads or fluid - assumed ap pads but it's a major assumption.

Both discs and pads are relatively new - previous discs had been skimmed several times as they had become uneven - but were just too thin to do that again hence them being replaced. I've always felt the new set seemed more likely to heat warping but perhaps that was always the symptom from the pistons. I simply don't know enough technically - I need to educate myself!!
Old 19 January 2013, 09:09 AM
Skyarb
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by craigo
Can only say good things for Alcon brakes. Saved my bacon big time when some ****** pulled out from a side street a little way ahead of me. I was driving my old P1 with the Alcons. Got to admit it would have been a biggie if i were driving current Type R... Gulp dread to think.
I can agree. I used Alcons for many years on all my STI, and also VAG cars. Love the pedel feel, initial bite, and stopping power. In my opinion the best brake upgrade what you can get.

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

Personally I would keep the AP,just due disc and pads are cheaper than Alcon,just ask the yours dealers how much cost the discs and pads for them

Jura
It depends of supplier. I use http://www.jdl-brakes.com they always offer me best price for kits, and replacement parts.
Old 19 January 2013, 09:50 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 381 Likes on 303 Posts

biggest issue IME with Alcon aftermarket stuff is the distinct lack of easily available stock of rotors, etc.........
AP Racing are far better in this respect (even though they have their moments)

the AP rotors are often available in a Performance Friction alternative also which means far better rotor quality full stop

alyn