Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta vs Pirelli?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2011, 10:25 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta vs Pirelli?

Need new tyres soon. Have seen numerous threads re which tyres to get. What I would like to know is who has experience of differing premium tyres on the same car.

Lots of reviews seem to rate Vredestein but those of you who have them, have you had premium tyres before on the same car - would like to know what they are like against say Prielli P Zero or Goodyear Asym's etc?

Again the Auto Zeitung 2010 UHP summer tyre test put's Pirelli P-Zero MO top and Vredestein a lowly 9th/Last?

A friend of mine has the Vredestein on his BMW (Z4M) and says they are OK for the price but would go back to Michelin's next time.

Cheers in advance for any help.
Old 04 January 2011, 10:34 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had P zero's on my Spec C when I bought it, well not saying much about them but put it this way, they were getting towards the limit and I went back to the RE070's which were alot better in the dry, cant compare them in the wet as the RE070's have more grip but the P zero's were horrid tbh, not a tyre I would choose personally.

Tony
Old 04 January 2011, 11:38 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Default tyres

The Pirelli P-zero (MO Fitment) I find good in the dry and OK in the wet. Better WET performance would be what I am after from a premium tyre - most decent tyres will give good grip in the dry but WET performance seems to vary greatly.

Had Bridgestone Potenza S02's on my Integrale several times and they were the best wet performance tyre I have had (and good in the dry as well) - far better than Goodyear, Continental or Michelin on that car - all of which I tried. Tyre wear was 4000 miles max per set when rotated though!

I can get S02's even now (although they were supposedly discontinued 6+ yeqars ago) but close to £200 a tyre - 225X40X18.
Old 04 January 2011, 12:06 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not had P-zero's on before, but I can comment that the Sessanta's have fantastic grip wet/dry
They were also pretty good in the snow - something I cannot say about the Dunlop's fitted to my 330S
Old 04 January 2011, 07:29 PM
chiroman
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted a set of Vredestein Sessantas on WR1 and am quite happy with them, steering is precise, stability good and noise is low. Previously had Pirelli P Zero Rossos which were original fitment on WR1. These were awful when worn to 2-3mm, the car following every dip and contour in the road, always correcting to keep car straight despite regular geometry setup. I'd give the Pirellis a miss, also they're £20/tyre more expensive. Incidentally when I was checking out the Sessantas Iain Litchfield recommended them without prompting and that was against other, lot more expensive, premium makes. Got mine from www.elitedirect.com, Romford.
Old 04 January 2011, 10:38 PM
b0x
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by henrysmith
Need new tyres soon. Have seen numerous threads re which tyres to get. What I would like to know is who has experience of differing premium tyres on the same car.

Lots of reviews seem to rate Vredestein but those of you who have them, have you had premium tyres before on the same car - would like to know what they are like against say Prielli P Zero or Goodyear Asym's etc?

Again the Auto Zeitung 2010 UHP summer tyre test put's Pirelli P-Zero MO top and Vredestein a lowly 9th/Last?

A friend of mine has the Vredestein on his BMW (Z4M) and says they are OK for the price but would go back to Michelin's next time.

Cheers in advance for any help.
Looks like you've probably seen all the tests, but as you pointed out the Ultrac Sessanta hasn't done well this year. Likewise, I'd write the F1 A off as it's not had it's strongest year.

Have you seen the new Pilot Super Sport? Wet performance of the PS3 with the dry performance of their cup tyre, should be epic if you can get it in your size.
Old 04 January 2011, 11:33 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

What car is it going on? Does your insurance company charge a premium for wider tyres if you have the standard 215s on? The Sessantas only come in 225+.
Old 04 January 2011, 11:35 PM
b0x
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
The Sessantas only come in 225+.
Are you sure? 215 in both 17" and 18":

http://www.tyresearcher.com/Browse_T...-Sessanta.html
Old 04 January 2011, 11:58 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

215x40 or 225x45 but I don't think 215x45 exist. Its causing me a bit of a headache at the moment as I want these but I'm looking for insurance in a couple of weeks so can't gerald any until I find out if whoever I go with except them so I have drive around on legal limits in the rain for now.
Old 05 January 2011, 12:00 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

by the way in answer to your question Sessantas- from what I've read.
Old 05 January 2011, 11:26 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

had the p-zero rosso's on the hawk all round and found they were great not sure about nero's though.
Old 06 January 2011, 11:34 AM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiroman
I've just fitted a set of Vredestein Sessantas on WR1 and am quite happy with them, steering is precise, stability good and noise is low. Previously had Pirelli P Zero Rossos which were original fitment on WR1. These were awful when worn to 2-3mm, the car following every dip and contour in the road, always correcting to keep car straight despite regular geometry setup. I'd give the Pirellis a miss, also they're £20/tyre more expensive. Incidentally when I was checking out the Sessantas Iain Litchfield recommended them without prompting and that was against other, lot more expensive, premium makes. Got mine from www.elitedirect.com, Romford.
I can second that, i left my rotation a bit late this time on the pirelli's ,and the front felt awful , i kept checking my front wheelnuts as i thought my wheels were about to fall off ,or a ball joint or the rack had gone ! ,until i realized what it was, had about 4x sets of rosso's but will try the vredestiens next .
Old 06 January 2011, 12:26 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

The Sessantas are possibly the best tyre I've used. Another advantage of them is that although they are assymetrical, they're not directional, so you can swap them to any corner!

JohnD
Old 06 January 2011, 01:25 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Looking to do mine on my Hawk...being a tyre novice can you put 225 instead of 215 on the standard alloys?
Old 06 January 2011, 02:07 PM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Default michelin pilot super sports

the Pilot Super Sports are out this January and are supposedly the Dog's Danglies. My current tyres supplied on my GB270 are 225X40X18 but the Super sports only come in 225X45X18. I think this should be OK as doing all four wheels? just increasing slightly the rolling circumference/length?
Old 06 January 2011, 04:34 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by muzzler
Looking to do mine on my Hawk...being a tyre novice can you put 225 instead of 215 on the standard alloys?
It is fine as long as you let the insurance companies know.
Old 06 January 2011, 04:42 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by henrysmith
the Pilot Super Sports are out this January and are supposedly the Dog's Danglies. My current tyres supplied on my GB270 are 225X40X18 but the Super sports only come in 225X45X18. I think this should be OK as doing all four wheels? just increasing slightly the rolling circumference/length?
The difference would be 2.3cm in overall diameter. I certainly wouldnt want to go larger. There is a 3.5% difference plus extra unsprung weight so it would be slower to accelerate and use more fuel, whether it is noticable is debatable. I would be more interested to know if the wheels fitted ok under the arches and in particular when going over bumps in the road.
Old 06 January 2011, 04:52 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Why do you need to let insurers know?
Old 06 January 2011, 04:54 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Because they are weasels when it comes to this sort of thing. If you look at the majority of insurance companies that give drop down lists of mods to include they include wider tyre or wheels. It gives them a reason to get out of a claim if undeclared. I spoke to Moley about this and said that the majority of companies wouldnt charge but you need to let them know.
Old 06 January 2011, 05:00 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Because they are weasels when it comes to this sort of thing. If you look at the majority of insurance companies that give drop down lists of mods to include they include wider tyre or wheels. It gives them a reason to get out of a claim if undeclared. I spoke to Moley about this and said that the majority of companies wouldnt charge but you need to let them know.
ok thanks
Old 12 January 2011, 02:40 PM
bobby chang
Scooby Regular

Sadly common sense is not common anymore, the world is becoming a "Court Room", either pleaded guilty or not guilty, nothing in between.
Old 12 January 2011, 02:57 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Be a good idea to buy now as summer tyres are quite cheap because everyone is going mad for winter tyres

I managed to get continental sport contact 3 for £105 a tyre, they were £130 during the summer
Old 12 January 2011, 03:29 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobby chang
Sadly common sense is not common anymore, the world is becoming a "Court Room", either pleaded guilty or not guilty, nothing in between.
My insurance company didnt know what to say when I asked about speed ratings and wider tyres. I want to fit sessantas to my WRX17s which are 215 as standard. In the end they said I can do anything as they are declared as an upgrade alloy. Took 3 "Ill put you through to so and so." before they gave in and said that.
Old 12 January 2011, 03:33 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Ive noticed they are cheap as well. I am wanting to buy 4 Sessantas and found them for £84 locally. Online they can be had for £81. I sent an email asking the local store to price match as they said they will beat other prices but no reply. Rather strange considering its a minimal difference. In this day and age of credit munching I would have expected them to reply the same day.
Old 12 January 2011, 04:06 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

I've noticed they are cheap..what are they normally in the summer?
Old 12 January 2011, 04:08 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I think they were aroun the £90-£95 mark.