Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Eagle F1 Asymetrics

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2008, 06:27 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle F1 Asymetrics

Just got some 215/45 R17 fitted to the rear of my car. And can't beleive how much wider than the toyo`s they are replacing are. They must look huge on the guys cars who fitted 225's to the 7j rims.

Old 08 November 2008, 07:13 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How do they feel?? i,m thinking of these next in 235/45/17s...
Old 08 November 2008, 07:54 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Yup, they look huge on 7J's! LOL I can vouch for that alright
Old 08 November 2008, 08:06 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffi
How do they feel?? i,m thinking of these next in 235/45/17s...
Not sure yet, Not really had a chance to try them out properly. I`m away next week, on a course and will taking it with me, so hopefully be able to tell after the run there and back.

Jase
Old 09 November 2008, 11:06 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Yup, they look huge on 7J's! LOL I can vouch for that alright
Agreed, but personally I think they're a great tyre, so I'm happy. You do get used to the look, and they definitely help protect your rims
Old 10 November 2008, 07:46 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

I went from Toyo T1S to Eagle GSD3 to Eagle Asymmetric (all due to 'normal' wear) on an 03 with 355bhp, slightly uprated brakes and Type 25 Stage 3 suspension.

The Asymmetrics are awesome on UK roads. By the time the oil has heated up the tyres are ready and have wonderful lateral grip all day long. The break is communicated well and very controllable too.

As with any new tyre watch out for the first 50 or so miles, as they'll be very slippery in the current conditions.
Old 10 November 2008, 07:58 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NXG
I went from Toyo T1S to Eagle GSD3 to Eagle Asymmetric
Was thinking about going from GSD3s to Eagle Assymetrics myself. How do you find the sidewall stiffness compares?
Old 10 November 2008, 08:18 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Well the marketing blurb says they're stiffer, but if anything they 'look' slightly, err, squidgyer, though handle just as well, and the data available suggests they're better...

In the dry I'd have to say I haven't noticed that much of an improvement, but that may be just my layman perception. However they are noticeably better in the wet, to the point you have to remember you're not driving a boat and WILL aquaplane eventually, just like everyone else!

So all in all if you like the GSD3 in the dry, you'll love the Asymmetric this time of year, and when (if) the summer comes next year.

Just one thing, the tread pattern doesn't look quite as 'butch' as the GSD3, but that's just due to the improved water shifting pattern, and personally I'd prefer the grip to the looks.
Old 10 November 2008, 08:41 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, NXG. Very helpful.

Meanwhile, I've just re-read the EVO tyre test issue (110, Nov last year) and, just to complicate things, it's just about even stevens between the Vredstein Sessanta and the Goodyear!
Old 10 November 2008, 08:51 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lol, I posted exactly the same thing last Jan after having them fitted after Toyo T1R-s.

They seem to look at least another size wider. Lol, my 225's (40 18's) on an 8j rim look wider than most 235's..

As for their performance, I've posted enough comments about my thoughts, IMO they're bloody fantastic..!

I found they do need at least 500 miles of 'scrubbing' in before they loose some initial 'squidgyness', but after this they're quite amazing in all conditions.
Old 10 November 2008, 08:53 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Yes, the Sessanta seems to be getting good reviews and I may try it when mine eventually wear out. Luckily I've got enough tread left to let others try them out for me before I have to make a decision

At the moment the car's not even on the road so I'm saving lots of tread..
Old 14 November 2008, 07:26 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Right I`m back from my course, and what can i say they definatly feel better on the back than the T1-r's did. Especially travelling across country in sunday's god awefull weather. I can't wait till I change the fronts in a month or two's time
Old 14 November 2008, 08:00 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that.
Old 14 November 2008, 10:15 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Right Now I have a bit more time to write a couple of words. When I first got the T1R's I felt that the back end felt a bit like it was about snap away under mildy enthusiastic cornering, so the confidence wasn`t always there. I'd hoped that after the first couple of hundred miles this feeling would go away, it did to a degree, but not completly. The goodyears on the hand felt better from the start, but only done 250 miles on them so far, so the next couple of weeks will tell( not sure if this is placebo affect though ). Also I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I think they are slightly noisier than the Toyo's, but I should get used to it. Hope this helps, and at the end of the day it is only my opinion, other people will have a differant view on some of it i'm sure.

Jase