Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Eagle F1 initial impresions

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2000, 10:26 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Having just had some Eagle F1s fitted I would like to give my initial impressions when compared to the RE010s

One of my main concerns about my MY99 from new was the amount of tramlining particularly in the wet. My car used to get draged all over the road causing me to have to back off through fear of being dragged into oncoming vehicles. The lack of actuial wet grip also bothered me particularly in the first 1000 miles of the RE010s life. I always found that driving in the wet was somewhat dissapointing. I had reached the point of thinking of selling and would have done so if residual valuses were better.

Then I read some posts that said that with other tyres there was more grip and less tramlining so decided to give Eagle F1s a go. The difference is incredible not just in the lack of tramlining which is the greatest relief but also in the extra wet grip available and less squirm under braking. Add to this that there is much less road noise, steering feel has improved significatly and less understeer in the wet and I am now much happier with the whole experience of owning an impreza. I just wish that I had changed the tyres straight away.

I know that spending extra money on a new car to change the tyres seems like wasting money but looking back I would not hesitate as the difference is so huge.

Brendan
Old 19 September 2000, 12:03 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Here, here - Could not agree more.
It is difficult to compare ''brand spanking new' tyres with the 'worn out old' ones as tyres do go off as they wear. I still feel that the F1's give better grip, especially in the wet and with less tramlining. I am 8K miles into my F1's with little if no tramlining. I hope they stay that way.

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 19 September 2000).]
Old 19 September 2000, 03:18 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Paul/Brendan, couldn't agree more. Recently laid out cash for Gold OZ superT's. Couldn't decide to go TOYO, Pirelli or F1's. Stuck with what I know. F1's all the way for me, no issues so far, but heard varying comments on the other's...
Old 20 September 2000, 05:26 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

And they last a long time too, shame there is no rim guard on em tho... my wife likes kerbs

Stu
Old 21 September 2000, 01:44 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I got 'em on the front cos the original rears are still OK (after 10 months!!) and even the way I drive I can feel the difference.