Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Strange noise when braking from higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2008, 10:40 AM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise when braking from higher speeds

Ok all, std MY99 4 pot brake set up, but with Pagid Black pads.

If I brake steadily/reasonably firmly down from 70mph, the brakes make a rather strange noise, not immediately, but after they have been applied for a second or two of firm braking; it's hard to describe, it's not knocking or grinding or anything like that. It's more like a loud intermittent hum, which speeds up as the speed decreases. Sounds kinda futuristic lol! I'm wondering if perhaps my discs are past their best and are grumbling as the heat builds up?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Ns04
Old 23 September 2008, 11:14 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Does the noise disappear after you have cleaned the discs/wheels?
It could be crap build up (have heard it in a couple of cars)
Old 23 September 2008, 02:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by fpan
Does the noise disappear after you have cleaned the discs/wheels?
It could be crap build up (have heard it in a couple of cars)
Nope, it's always there mate.
Ns04
Old 23 September 2008, 03:30 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Lol, you're running out of brakes..!

I had exactly the same thing on my 05wrx using padgid black pads, feels like the disc is warped. It also used to happen with the oem pads. When new the pagids seemed not to suffer from this "vooomvoooomvooooom" noise you've described, but it didn't take too many miles for it to return..

The thing that I noticed was that it was highish speed moderate braking that it seemed to be at it's worst. If you stamped on them it wasn't quite so bad. My conclusion was it was down to the length of time spent on the pedal, ie steady braking is actually creating more heat build up, IYSWIM..?

On my lardy 05 it did seem to eventually effect the retardation. Perfect excuse to fit some AP's, which if I'd realised just how much better the braking performance would be, I'd have fitted 12months earlier (problems with the 4pots or not..!).

Have you noticed any 'patches' on the surface of the disc (pad transfer)..?
Old 23 September 2008, 05:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jasonius
Lol, you're running out of brakes..!

I had exactly the same thing on my 05wrx using padgid black pads, feels like the disc is warped. It also used to happen with the oem pads. When new the pagids seemed not to suffer from this "vooomvoooomvooooom" noise you've described, but it didn't take too many miles for it to return..

The thing that I noticed was that it was highish speed moderate braking that it seemed to be at it's worst. If you stamped on them it wasn't quite so bad. My conclusion was it was down to the length of time spent on the pedal, ie steady braking is actually creating more heat build up, IYSWIM..?

On my lardy 05 it did seem to eventually effect the retardation. Perfect excuse to fit some AP's, which if I'd realised just how much better the braking performance would be, I'd have fitted 12months earlier (problems with the 4pots or not..!).

Have you noticed any 'patches' on the surface of the disc (pad transfer)..?
Yep, that's the noise, a rapid: Vroom,vroom,vroom,vroom!

Sounds like you've nailed it mate. So basically, I need better brakes?

Hmmm, maybe it's time to go for the K-sport 6 pot 304mm kit? They in a GB at the moment.... Argh, must stop spending money on this damn car!!!

Ns04
Old 24 September 2008, 10:03 AM
Horrid Cars
Scooby Regular

You dont defo need better brakes. Mine do this alot when hot, even when the pads are new (pagid RS29s).

In fact, all brakes will do it if you get them hot enough. My 911 would do it after a while on track, and that had monster brakes. The noise will get more and more the lower the pads gets though.

At the end of the day, if the brakes are stopping you without fade etc, I wouldnt worry.
Old 24 September 2008, 11:04 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Horrid Cars
You dont defo need better brakes. Mine do this alot when hot, even when the pads are new (pagid RS29s).

In fact, all brakes will do it if you get them hot enough. My 911 would do it after a while on track, and that had monster brakes. The noise will get more and more the lower the pads gets though.

At the end of the day, if the brakes are stopping you without fade etc, I wouldnt worry.
Thanks for the input.

It's just that they do it quite readily! It's not like I have to try to get them to produce the noise: for example, coming off a slip road to a roundabout/traffic lights. Apply brakes two seconds later....... I am still on the original discs, maybe its time I changed them. The pads still appear to have plenty of life in them.

Ns04
Old 24 September 2008, 03:16 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Could be disc's I suppose, but even with new disc's they won't perform anything like a decent big brake kit.

I can honestly say that when I fitted my AP's (only 330 4pots btw) it transformed the car, so much it was like having another 50bhp..

Best money spent on my scoob, and I've spent a bit..

Out of interest, how much are a new set of OEM disc's..?