Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

SO3s

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2001, 10:37 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have just ordered a set of 235 40 17s from rochford tires as they are refurbing my hweels at the same time.

I had heard of someone else buying them but no reports as such.

These are the first tires I have bought effectively blind.

I cant imagine bridgestone would produce a tire that is inferior to the S02 to replace it but cant be sure.

Has anyone read any articles or got any links to some reviews, search engines not turning up with anything useful.

being fitted sat.

Payed 115 each corner, plus vat
Old 10 May 2001, 02:55 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Wow, it looks like I am a pioneer.
Old 10 May 2001, 04:37 PM
JohnS

I've driven a car with S03s on it a few weeks ago, and was suitable impressed. It wasn't on a Scooby, but a Noble M12 GTO, so can't really compare things directly, but they gripped well, even in damp conditions.

Tread pattern isn't so V shaped as the S02, and looks sort of like a cross between a P Zero and the S02.
Old 10 May 2001, 09:09 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>Wow, it looks like I am a pioneer.[/quote]

Yup, you must have some of the first batch in the country....

Old 18 May 2001, 06:21 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Having seen the S01-like tread pattern (not very reassuring I thought) and read all the marketing spin on the Bridgestone website about the S-03s, I gave Brigestone UK a call and talked to a guy in Technical.

He reassured me that with the S-03 attention has been paid to issues of tyre wear recorded with the S-02, so where S-02 provides massive grip at the expense of wear the S-03 gives at least the same grip but with less wear, particularly on the shoulders of the tyres. He said the second compound layer that is on the S-02 is now higher up on the shoulders of the S-03, so the shoulders won't wear so rapidly.

Although the guy said the treadwear rating is a USA thing that isn't really relevant in Europe and because of varying temperatures the tyres are used in, I would still be interested if Adam or anyone else with S-03s can tell me the rating on the sidewalls.

Adam do you have them yet, any initial comments? I need a new set ASAP but I'm not particularly keen on buying blind, although I do trust Bridgestone to a certain extent.

BTW, one tyre supplier mentioned that S-02s won't be available by the end of the year (and the technical guy said this would be about right) so it would be smart to move to the next generation now. Unless they're pants.

FYI, 16" S-02 and S-03s can be had from Wembley Tyres (in Wembley, London) or Micheldever Tyres (Hampshire) for between £105 and £107 each, all inclusive (fitting, vat etc).

Paul
Old 19 May 2001, 12:22 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Paul,

no number - sorry!

R
Old 19 May 2001, 09:04 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul,

I had my S03s fitted yesterday by trusty Michedever.

17ins, £521 a set fitted with new valves, balancing, etc.

I have looked on the sidewall - what information are you looking for (it does say Treadwear Traction Temp A?)

They remind me of Firestones that I used to have on my Alfa Guillietta. They are very sticky to touch, ride well - reasonably compliant and quiet. Not tested the grip yet as they are not run in.

Very big rain channels tho!

R
Old 19 May 2001, 09:39 AM
strong
Scooby Regular

Hi Rannoch,

The S-02s say "Treadwear 180 Temperature A Traction A" (or maybe AA, can't remember). Is there a number on the S-03s next to the word Treadwear?

Cheers.
Old 19 May 2001, 01:13 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Interesting. I asked the technical guy at Bridgestone if the ratings were a legal requirement but he said they aren't, so I guess since Bridgestone are of the opinion that they're not a good measure they left them off.