Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

SO3s or Toyo Proxes?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2003, 11:19 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had SO2s in the past and were mightily impressd with them. Unfortunately you can only get the SO3s now (unless you find some old stock) and I had heard some dubious reports of them at the time of their release.
I also thought of going for Toyo Proxes, which I always understood to be slightly inferior to the SO2s in the wet but comparable in the dry.

I can get SO3s for £106.87 fitted or Proxes at £93.94.
What do you reckon?

Neil.
Old 03 January 2003, 02:36 PM
saxtonma
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hi,

I've had two sets of Toyo's on a MY 2001 WRX after the OE Bridgestones where torn to bits. I can't reccommend the Toyos enough (at this price level anyhow) the car always has a tendency towards understeer in wet or dry but I guess it's safer that way.

Mark
Old 03 January 2003, 03:56 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

Get the Toyo's.

You'll not buy anything else after you've tried them.

They give fantastic feedback through the wheel, they sort of warn when they are about to let go! spooky :-)
Old 03 January 2003, 10:40 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Talking

I went from SO2's to Goodyear F1's & am very happy with them. Well it has been almost exclusively wet ever since, so no real surprise I suppose....
Old 04 January 2003, 02:42 PM
neillarke
Scooby Regular

I've got Eagle F1,s on my MY99 turbo - they are a dramatic improvement on the old potenzas - no tramlining on the white lines,
much more grip in the wet and dry. I swapped the fronts and rears around at 10 000 miles but was very suprised to find exactly the same wear, a different story to the potenzas.

I had a bit of a reminder of the old potenzas the other week when I took a MY02 STI for a test drive and ended up going around a rounderbout sideways - luckily the salesman didnt come along as well - my 9 year old son thought it was great - just like WRC on his Playstation

Is it the tyres/me or is the classic impreza a much better handling beast than the current model ??

cheers Neil
Old 04 January 2003, 03:56 PM
lesmess
Scooby Regular

I have a MY01 with 17" Rims, I have done 25,000 miles and on my second set of SO3. The original OEM Bridgestones lasted 7000 miles. S03 about 9000 miles In between sets i had a set of Toyo's for about 1500 miles before i replaced them with another set of S03.
I live n Scotland so know a bit about driving on b roads in the wet My opinion S03 were far better in the wet, also tyre side wall roll is far more apparent with the Toyo's. Reading all the hype about the toyo's here cost me a load of cash. If you have 17" rims you can't go far wrong with the S03, tram linning is only a problem on the last couple thousand miles even then it is hardly worth mentioning.

I believe they have discontinued the S03 i was thinking of a set goodyears, again on the hype they have received here.

I drive my car hard all the time, the car is only 14 months old and i'm on my third set of Tyres not counting the Toyo's. Various tyre tests have given varying results with all the tyres mentioned. Recent Australia Test gave the S03 a high mark, yet a simular test here gave them a low mark.
Old 05 January 2003, 01:53 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

I'll vote for the S03s - quite simply a very good tyre on Scoobs. Particularly good in the wet, but grippy enough while being nice and consistent in the dry when breaking away too (17"). I also appreciate them being a bit quieter than some other tyres I've tried.