17" is it worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2000, 09:24 AM
MIP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All,

I saw a thread on this but didn't see much of a response.

My standard 16" tyres are getting very near the limit (1-2mm left legal).

I obviously need to replace them fairly soon and was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to 17" wheels and tyres ?

I was in ScoobySport on Saturday and I quite like the look of the wheels Pete stocks. They are 17 x 7 and would be fitted with So2s in 215/40.

I don't mind a small increase in tramlining, but what affect on the handling will I get over and above just fitting So2s on the standard 16" rims ?

thanks in advance

MIP

Old 25 January 2000, 09:37 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

When I switched to 17s I didnt notice a huge difference in tramlining. I dont really find it a problem at all. The ride obviously deteriorates but nothing really major that made people say what have you done to your car.

The only thing that has annoyed me is bursting a tyre over a pothole which may or may not have happened with a 16.

I assume that 16s run on 205s so you are only widening by 1 cm per tyre, but over four wheels that is quite significant.

The main handling advantage will be in the lower profiles as there is less give in the tyre walls and therefore less lean when cornering hard. Although it is not strictly the best comparison, try and go out in a car with 17s and see how if feels. A similar suspensions setup would be advisable.

I dont know how far you live from scoobysport but I am local, if I can be of any assistance, just drop me an email.
Old 25 January 2000, 03:58 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

If you leave the standard suspension on your car, larger wheels and tyres will seriously compromise whatever amount of comfort and ride you may be having now. They may give a feeling of improved adhesion, etc. but I yet have to experience a car with 17" wheels and 215/40 tyres that does not feel worse on standard springs and dampers than 16" and 205/50s.

hope this helps.

q.
Old 25 January 2000, 04:29 PM
JohnS

Although the ride quality is a bit harsher, it's not that much worse, and depends what you are used to already.

I prefer the looks of the 17 inch wheels, and the better turn in and response to steering inputs they provide. I'm running standard suspension, but it seems to cope just fine to me with the 17 inch wheels & tyres fitted

I have found that the ride quality varies dramatically as any tyres get worn down towards the minimum, and you may find not much difference between well worn 16 inch wheels & tyres, and brand new 17 inch tyres. Obviously as the 17 inch tyres get worn, the ride quality will become harsher, but then again you have many months of getting used to it gradually
Old 25 January 2000, 07:06 PM
Tommy
Scooby Regular

Talking

I found 17 inch wheels gave a big improvement in handling and control, and the car seems to roll much less. I really don't think that the ride is noticeably worse, the car is less bouncy. I have P zeros.

The RB5 got great reviews from most magazines saying that the handling and ride were better, and I think that this is down to the wheels and tyres. The bodyshell has no folding rear seat, but I can't think that it makes that much difference.

I would recommend to anybody to go the 17 inch route, it's the best change I've made.
Old 25 January 2000, 10:33 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

After reading the two comments above I need to add that I must belong to the minority who has different and much more complex requirements and expectation from wheel/tyre/suspension assembly than quite a few others. While I appreciate improved "handling" and turn-in bigger wheels and tyres give, I will probably declare something "harsher and choppier" much sooner than most others. Fortunately, by fitting a different suspension I achieved to have both the ride and handling, turn-in, etc.
Just so that the member asking the questions has less trouble putting things into perspective.

q.
Old 26 January 2000, 08:27 AM
MIP
Scooby Regular

Talking

So,

Wheels and tyres first( the tyres are getting real close to legal), suspension next

Old 30 January 2000, 08:42 AM
MIP
Scooby Regular

Red face

OOOPsss

I have just noticed something...

when I do show topics from the last xx days it spreads over multiple pages. No wonder I didn't think there were many posts..

soorry for asking this question that has been done to death before.

MIP

Old 13 February 2000, 11:25 AM
MIP
Scooby Regular

All,

Well I finally did it.

7 x 17 MIM Brescia in gold ET 45

I didn't really want gold, but Elite fitted all 3 colours to the car so that I could walk round and have a good look and compare the colours.

Gold really did work

They look really nice with the tyres I chose, they look like they really fill the arch much more than the standard wheels.

I had the Bridgestone So2 PPP in a 215 x 40 x 17 fitted.

It was p*ssing down as I drove away. Grip felt good although I obviously wasn't pushing the car on brand new tyres.

In the dry they felt much better (I had standard factory fit tyres before). The car felt planted on the road.

Motorway cruising was quiter than the standard wheel/tyre combo as well which surprised me.

More tyre slap over cats eyes etc.. though.

No real increase in tramlineing either. That was across a new town roads (Basildon) Motorway (m25 from east to west sides) and country lanes A244 for those who know it.

All in all a worthy addition to the car.

MIP

P.S Elite were great (see other post in dealers/suppliers)
Old 13 February 2000, 07:32 PM
Nic Doczi
Scooby Regular

I too have just fitted 17" MIMs and S-02 PPs on my STI V. It wasnt entirely from choice as some &*$^% drove off with my wheels some three weeks ago.

I have similar comments to the above. Wheels look good, handle better than the S-01s. Turn in is much better, though this may be due also to better alignment settings.

The ride is noticably firmer (but quieter), and car feels a little more nervous at speed.

No tram lining though.

I have just washed the car and the wheels are a lot more work than the standard. I had to deep clean and wax one front to get off all the grime, and this was from only two days driving.

Nic
Old 17 February 2000, 10:13 AM
MIP
Scooby Regular

Re cleaning.

I have a sponge on a stick thing I use.

Sort of like an ice lolly looking thing I made myself.

This works without a problem and isn't a huge amount of work to clean the wheels with.

Try it

MIP