Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

S03 & F1GSD3

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 01:43 PM
GF8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S03 & F1GSD3

Why the S03 is not well accepted here? How is it inferior to the highly praised S02?

I see most of members favour F1 GSD3. How is it compare to S02 and S03 in terms of handling, traction, ride comfort and noise?
Old 09 February 2004, 04:43 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

I would like to know as well
Old 10 February 2004, 01:25 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

My experiences are solely based on 16" wheels but the SO3's tramlined brutally and you had to go up to circa 36psi at the front to reduce this even slightly.

The SO3's wet grip was way down on the SO2's.

Dry grip was good but the tyre was not as progressive as either Toyo Proxes TS1 or Eagle GSD3's. It was all or nothing, one minute grip, the next mninute .. hedge

The Goodyear F1 GSD'3 wins hands down although some people on here don't like the softer side wall which can feel a bit 'wallowy' at first until you get used to the fact that the car won't really loose grip. The F1's are not quite as progressive as the Toyo's but beat them hands down in true grip by a mile.

Nothing comes close to the F1's for wet/damp grip. The SO3's and the Toyo's scared me silly on damp roads but the Toyo's were good (because of their tread pattern) in heavy or standing water.

The 2 downsides of the F1's is that they wear chronicly on the outer edges. Mine were binned after 4,000 road miles (geometry was spot on so not a problem there) and they do feather really easily. One track day will kill them easily. Also they carry a price premium over the Toyos.

Would still fit F1's but be prepared to replace frequently

Cheers
Si
Old 11 February 2004, 11:46 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not necessarilly

Just coming down to legal limits after 22.5k miles on F1GDS3s (inc Scooby Shootout)

They are a bit floppy but less so than the GDS2s

But, my geometry was Prodrive (Classic) + 1 degree camber over that, so quite /---\ compared to many. That suits my particular setup/style/whatever though is prone to more tramlining I think. Also generally run 34F. So can be a bit skittish...

Of that lot, probably 17.5-20k was m'way/dual carriageway type stuff with the rest B roads and very twisty stuff.

I have swapped front to rear at some point...

215/40/17s
Old 12 February 2004, 10:31 AM
8seconds
Scooby Newbie

Default F1 GSD3

I had a classic on S03's. They wore well and had better grip than the RE40's it had from new. Were just needing replaced when I traded in to MY03 WRX.

That is now fitted with F3 GSD3 as stadard fit Bridestone RE050 wore out at 16k miles.

On F1's initial turn in is much better and there is a strong self centring sensation when coming out of corners. Great when cold and very good in the wet. I hit standing water on the motorway last week and no hint of aquaplaning.

Only downside is they are very noisy - especially on the new smooth tarmac that is being put on motorways in central Scotland.

I thought I had a noisy wheel bearing. However, at 20k service, dealer put the car on different set of wheels with Bridgestones and the noise disappeared!
Old 12 February 2004, 11:00 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with SiPie.

75% of my own driving is the regular motorway commute and the remainder is 110%, single-track, manic driving. All 4 of my GSD2's were in the bin after 10,000 miles (about 7 months given my regular trips to the Scottish hills).

Running Toyos now and although they've lasted well, they're **** in the wet IMHO. Even the slightest touch of damp has the car sliding all over the place. The good thing is they are very progressive, so at least you have good warning that traction is being lost, but I'd much rather have a higher degree of grip as it gets quite damp in Scotland

Even on the way to work this morning, I had an armful of opposite lock just negotiating a roundabout at 40mph and I wasn't even trying to drive the car fast or be overly aggressive

Won't ever be putting Toyo's on my car unless they radically alter the wet weather charactaristics. Dry handling is on a par with the Goodyears, so if you live in drier climes they would get my vote purely for their VFM.

They are slightly noiser than my original Pirelli P-Zero's and I'd say just as bad as the Eagles. Funnily, on the smooth tarmac (new M8 bits in Scotland) they are quite, but on the rough stuff the noise can be very tiresome.

Have never tried the Bridgestones or the new Eagles. Tyres are due to be replaced in the next month or so, so I'll be interested in any more feedback.

Stefan
Old 12 February 2004, 12:14 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

PTMW

Note that it's obvious that 17's are going to last longer than 16's

Cheers
Si
Old 12 February 2004, 01:20 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

SiPie,

I got the impression that you did not replace your F1s with another set of the same - any reason why?
Old 12 February 2004, 01:42 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

SiPie,

I got the impression that you did not replace your F1s with another set of the same - any reason why?
Yup... bought a 2nd hand set of wheels that happened to arrive with relatively new Toyo Proxes on them and although tempted to chuck them straight in the bin it didn't make financial sense just to chuck them straight in the bin .

In all honesty this made the comparison between the F1's and Toyo's even more noticeable as on the Friday I was driving around on F1's with 5mm tread on 16" wheels, then on the Saturday I was trying to stay alive with a set of Toyo's running exactly the same pressures etc on 16's also.

Let's just say I'd never buy Toyo's again given the choice.... there are certainly worst tyres out there but the Eagles are miles ahead in damp or wet conditions.
Old 12 February 2004, 02:19 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Ran 16"s in S02 and 17"s in GSD3's in two profiles.

On the MY98 the S02's were pretty good, but the F1's were better in the wet and quieter, as well as slightly softer riding. Both lasted between 15-20k. The F1's do have a shallower tread on the shoulders, and this does mean that they get pretty low there even when the rest of the tyre has plenty left.

However on the last set that were taken off the '98 there were cracks on the sidewalls on the inside edges of all 4. I sent these back to Goodyear but no word yet. The tyres were well caned though, to be honest, but it was alarming to see as the splits were deep. never been on track so you couldn't blame that sort of abuse.

On the '03 I binned the stock Bridgestones for F1s again. My third set overall now I think. I've noticed that they do make a noise this time. It sounds alarmingly like wheel bearing wear. I can only assume that different geo settings between the two models are responsible - and the fact that the '03 is masses more quiet than the old '98.

Overall grip is great but I can't compare on this car yet, it's a different beast to the '98.

I swap front to backs as often as possible, every few k.