Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wobble between 70 & 80

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2002, 04:49 PM
Gary A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting some judder in the steering between 70 & 80 mph on my UK300. Had new Toyos fitted about 6 weeks ago but still had this problem on the previous P Zeros. Not a major problem but can feel the feedback through the steering, comments/suggestions? Due to go in for a 25000 serv in the next 2 weeks.
Old 27 December 2002, 04:51 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Get the wheels balanced properly.

Make sure they have a decent balancer that has been calibrated.
Old 30 December 2002, 07:17 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've just put toyo's on my MY02 WRX. I had them balanced and the tracking adjusted (was slightly out). I now get a judder (slight) at motorway cruising speeds.

I went back to ATS who said it's the tracking..their machine is knackered and once it's fixed (a week) I have to go back and have it re-checked.

I queried the bloke as I asked how could it be the tracking that causes a slight judder...surely it's the balancing? He was adamant it was the tracking...I'll see in a week or so.

Tony
Old 30 December 2002, 09:07 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Had some tyres changed at my friendly Subaru dealer last year, and immediately noticed a wobble. This has happended twice now.

Took it back, of course,it wasn't the balancing...

Had them redone at a place with a decent machine, and all was back to normal.

Amazing the difference in how the car felt with the incorrect balancing, even when there wasn't a "wobble". Didn't feel right at all.

I'd be surprised if it was the tracking.
Old 30 December 2002, 10:19 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Wobble around 70-80mph is classic wheel balance symptom. It's worse when you go through that speed zone on the brakes as the suspension loads up and makes it worse. Easily mistaken for warped discs then, but it's not.

I seem to get balance problems every time I swap the wheels front to rear - bit of a mystery but I guess something to do with the way the tyres wear side to side on different ends of the car. Pretty sure I don't lose balance weights. Any tyre experts care to comment? Chizzer, where are you?

The only cure is to find a good tyre fitters with a precision balancing machine with someone who knows how to work it. The tricky bit is getting the balance correct left/right of the wheel, as opposed to top/bottom. If you're prepared to have balance weights hammered to the outside of the rim (instead on stuck inside) you'll get better results.

Richard.