Intermittent Wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2002, 02:11 PM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello All,

I have a wheel vibration wobble through my steering wheel on certain roads and conditions. It's more noticable at speeds 60mph + on motorways. But it doesn't always do it !! Would it definitely be a wheel balancing problem ?? Or something more serious ??
Would a sticking piston caliper cause a wheel wobble ?? Wheel bearings ?? Driveshaft ??
My car is a 1997 impreza catalunya turbo BTW.

Please help because it is doing my head in !!

Cheers

Gary.
Old 09 August 2002, 08:37 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

anyone ???
Old 13 August 2002, 07:52 AM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Hi there Gary. Don't know the answer to this one but I get the same. Seem to get it when cold and then it improves. Thought it was wheel balance but have finally got this right (terrible number of wheel balancers that are simply wrong!) and still have problem.
I have put it down to a pad touching a very slightly warped disk. Normally pad will retract sufficiently to prevent this but maybe if its been sitting for a while or different temps means it happens sometimes.
Let me know if you find the answer
Old 13 August 2002, 08:42 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Hi Nichop,

I think mine is something to do with the brakes too.
I had to replace the brake disc and pads on mine last weekend. Also got my wheels balance.
The result is that it still does it slighly but is still intermittent.
I have come to the conclusion that one of my calipers is sticking slighty because when I took the old pads and discs off. One of the pads was worn at a 45-degree angle rather than even wear. My discs were shot anyway so I will have to see how I get on with the new discs and pads.
BTW What is a sticking caliper ?? Is it when the piston doesn't move ?? I was able to move all the pistons on the calipers. So does that rule out a sticking Caliper ??

Cheers

Gary.

[Edited by Gazza_W1 - 8/13/2002 8:46:20 AM]
Old 15 August 2002, 09:21 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

BTTT

Guys,

I'm still having problems !!!! Help !!!
I need to know whether a sticking Caliper Piston can cause an intermittent wheel wobble ??
Had my front wheels balance and tracking done plus new disc brakes and pads !!! Still wobbles intermittently !!!
It also just started doing it on my old brake discs and pads before I go my wheels balance/tracking/new brake discs/Pads done.
What should I be looking at now ?? Warped tyre ?? Bushes ?? Track control arm balljoints ?? Lower track control arm ??
Oh yeah one more thing ... it only does it around 70/80mph !!!

Cheers

Gary.
Old 15 August 2002, 10:44 AM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary. A sticky caliper is normally down to dirt on the inside of the caliper which stops the piston moving smoothly over its surface. Other pistons move smoothly and consequently you get uneven breaking. Also, if one of the pistons sticks slightly as it retracts from the disk, and if the disk is slightly warped, the potentially with every rotation of the disk that one pad will touch the disk. This could then lead to vibration/wheel wobble.

Having said all that, if you have new disks then I would be surprised if a sticking caliper would still causes wobble. That pad might still not be retracting fully but, unless the disk is warped you shouldn't get wobble.

I've had my wheels balanced again and mine is a lot better, but I still get some wobble occasionally. The only way to really solve this is to find somewhere that does on the car wheel balancing. I used to have a car with no end of wobble and no matter how much I got them balanced I still had a problem. Got the wheels balanced on the car and - absolutely sorted. All it takes is a slightly warped driveshaft or something else in the drivetrain at the front to cause a problem. Balancing on the car takes all these into consideration in the balance rather than just the wheel, as is the case with normal balancing.

Your challenge is to find somewhere that still does this. There used to be loads of places but, must admit, I haven't found anywhere recently.

If I was you that would be my next step.
Old 15 August 2002, 10:50 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Cheers nichop !!!

On braking I don't get any wobble or warped disc feeling. Today on my way to work it was fine !! Yesterday on my way home it wobbled alot !!!!
I will take your advice and find a proper wheel balancing place !!

thanks

Gary.
Old 22 August 2002, 10:41 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Gazza,

What wheel/tyre combination do you use? look at threads in the wheel & tyre forum to give you a clue as to what is happening here.

Cheers

WB
Old 25 August 2002, 01:35 AM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

I dont have a sticking caliper but if I have the windows down and i on a quiet road I can hear the brakes working when I press them. If the caliper was sticking I would probably be able to hear the 'skiffing' sound. Maybe worth a try. I need a new driveshaft, the symptoms were knocking going over bumps steering wheel shudder and even pedal shudder when at high speeds. Check the driveshaft for wear too.
Old 25 August 2002, 01:38 AM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

Also try letting go of the wheel whilst braking at slow speeds and see if the car heads off to one direction.
Old 28 August 2002, 08:29 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Lads

thanks for the replies.

I am running 215/40/R17 with Goodyear F1 rubbers.

Car is still only doing it occasionally. What about unbalance wheels at the rear ?? Could they cause some vibration ??

Cheers

Gary.