Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What dics/pads would you recommend for fast road use?

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2002, 10:58 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

After spending some time this afternoon testing a Tek 2.5 with John Banks, it was pretty obvious that something needs done with my brakes.

I don't need or want a complete upgrade, so wondered what disc/pad combinations people would recommend. I also want to avoid those that have been known to squeal or vibrate badly under heavy braking and give off lots of brake dust.

Stefan

Old 18 July 2002, 11:57 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Anyone any comments on either the Godspeed or TSL upgrades?

Stefan
Old 19 July 2002, 09:52 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ozzy,

I have an STI 5 which I've had from new. I've had various combinations of disks and pads but have run the TSL Grp N disks and either DS2003 or DS2500 pads and braided hoses for the last 15000 miles. I think for road use they are a vast improvement over the original brakes. The power is much better than standard but the biggest improvement is in feel and consistency, the pads bite really well with only a little heat in them, and on tight twist B roads maintain this feel regardless of how hard the car is driven.

The only area I would like to improve on is when driving on really fast roads the system seems to get very hot (smoking!) and lacks a bit of power. This is only when driving very fast and hard and so if you don't drive the track or on roads which allow you to brake hard from 100+ mph, you will probably be very happy.

Can't comment on the Godspeed conversion although I am going to go for that in the next month or so. For the extra money required to get the 335mm Godspeed kit I think it sounds very good value. It maybe worh asking some of the people involved in the Godspeed group buy to comment once they've received and fitted their brakes.

Chris.
Old 19 July 2002, 10:34 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Ozzy - I have the TEK2 also.....

I went from OEM stuff to EBC turbogroove discs and greenstuff. Warped 2 pairs of these even though I was going easy in the bedding in period. Finally replaced with turbogroove and redstuff. IMHO they were useless, worse than OEM, didn't work well when hot and none existent from cold Last just over 3k miles

I've now got the DS2500 on the turbogroove discs and these are VASTLY better in every way - working from hot, cold etc, haven't yet faded them!

I did lots of digging around and found not one bad word about the TSL setup so thats worth looking at...

Been in two cars with the Godspeed big brake upgrade and the stopping power was awesome - almost as good as the Alcons (not quite but almost). I know the two owners really rate them. Depends if you wanna upgrade or keep standard discs and pads.....

Hope that helps
Neil.
Old 19 July 2002, 11:07 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

I want to keep the std 4-pot calipers as I think there good enough for my style of driving.

Any ideas what kind of price I'd expect to pay for discs, pads, braided hoses and some DOT5 fluid?

Also, how are the DS pads for vibration/noise/dust under heavy use?

Stefan
Old 19 July 2002, 11:24 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

No idea on the full prices - give Trouser a call at TSL, very helpful chap My DS2500 were 150 all in delivered.

Noise, vibration is fine - no probs, as for dust, less than OEM and Mintex, only a bit more than EBC
Old 19 July 2002, 09:01 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i have had ebc turbogroove discs with yellow pads (yes i know you are only supposed to use them on trackdays) done close on 25000 miles 5 trackdays 2 sets of pads 2mm wear on the disks they stop me all the time very little fade even on trackdays just ask the passengers i have had standard disks lasted 4000 miles from new

for the cost of them app. £320 you just cant get better especially when i here of the costs on replacement disks on big brakes

also the wheels are vastly easier to clean the rears with ferrodo pads get dirtier than the fronts

[Edited by X SOOOBY - 7/19/2002 9:04:03 PM]
Old 19 July 2002, 10:25 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

X Scooby

Why dont you try the black Pagid pads (RS14) and THEN tell me if you still think you cant get any better?

If you buy discs with a separate (preferably aluminium) bell, you will most likely NOT warp them.
Old 19 July 2002, 10:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Ozzy, I wonder if you would be best just getting braided hoses, DOT 5.1 fluid and some good pads that are relatively dust free and reasonably kind to the discs?

I say this because I did about 8000 road miles with 1155 pads with the original discs without any issues at all. I then switched to Black Diamond drilled and then grooved discs with hoses, DOT 5.1 for the last 12000 miles. Both were fine on the road, but I cracked both sets with just one session each at Knockhill.

So I did another session at Knockhill on the original Subaru discs which I reckon stopped just as well, did not fade or warp.

The Mintex 1155 pads are dusty though so I will let others advise you on choice of pads, but the Subaru discs have stood up better than Black Diamond ones under my heavy right foot so far! Might save you some cash and if you warp or crack them you can do something about it later. Drilled discs unless from a Porsche are just cosmetic it seems, and even grooved ones seem to provide a source for cracks, or maybe I have been unlucky. However I did buy aftermarket discs thinking they were designed for hard use

What I would say is be careful about cooling your brakes before pulling up and don't sit on them at junctions. Yesterday your brakes squealed a bit as you have been using them and then not cooling them down before we stopped. I have been just as guilty but starting to look after them better now.
Old 20 July 2002, 03:49 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Any ideas what kind of price I'd expect to pay for discs, pads, braided hoses and some DOT5 fluid?
Disc prices vary between unused OEMs from a rally team for 30 or 40 quid to CTF discs with separate aluminium bell for 450. Single piece discs are between 150 and 250. Braided hoses around 50 and a liquid with a high (over 300°C) boiling point around 20.

Also, how are the DS pads for vibration/noise/dust under heavy use?
Kinda loud and not good enough for the noise. The dust is really bad for the wheels as well
Old 20 July 2002, 03:59 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

The Mintex 1155 pads are dusty
and their friction coefficient is pretty low as well...

Drilled discs unless from a Porsche are just cosmetic it seems
Yes, these discs are not actually drilled, but the holes are created during the casting of the disc!

What I would say is be careful about cooling your brakes before pulling up and don't sit on them at junctions.
If you keep your foot on the brake pedal after stopping the car when the discs are hot, you can throw them away!