Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear 2 pot calipers - to split or not

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2020, 11:13 AM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear 2 pot calipers - to split or not

I've removed my rear 2 pot calipers because of seized pistons. I have a refurb kit but it is worth splitting a caliper that has no leaks so that I can clean it easier and better. Or would you just clean it as best possible while it's all sealed and has no leaks.

Also should I just clean it up with brake fluid or should I use the proper parts washer at work? I'm concerned that using the parts washer may mean water ingress. Any advice on the return would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 19 October 2020, 03:23 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I split mine so that I could replace the O rings. If you are making the effort to rebuild them, you may as well do everything. I cleaned them with degreaser solvent, then painted them with VHT paint. If you clean them before splitting or removing the pistons, you're unlikely to suffer an ingress. They are easier to work with (replace pistons/paint etc) if split in half. I fitted stainless steel pistons. I found it easiest to attach them back onto the car in order to tighten the bolts holding the 2 halves together.
The following users liked this post:
Old 19 October 2020, 04:08 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'll split them after a good clean then. It means I can ensure they are super clean and I'll see if I can get them sand blasted at work to prep for painting.

I've managed to order new pins, rattle plates etc so I may as well go all out

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I split mine so that I could replace the O rings. If you are making the effort to rebuild them, you may as well do everything. I cleaned them with degreaser solvent, then painted them with VHT paint. If you clean them before splitting or removing the pistons, you're unlikely to suffer an ingress. They are easier to work with (replace pistons/paint etc) if split in half. I fitted stainless steel pistons. I found it easiest to attach them back onto the car in order to tighten the bolts holding the 2 halves together.
Old 19 October 2020, 08:45 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

If you have access to a sand blaster surely you can get access to some compressed air to blow out anything you've got inside the calipers?
Old 19 October 2020, 09:38 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I wouldn't have thought you'd need a sand blaster. The rear calipers are alloy, no? I just used some degreaser and a small wire brush.
Old 19 October 2020, 10:22 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
If you have access to a sand blaster surely you can get access to some compressed air to blow out anything you've got inside the calipers?
Good point, I'm just paranoid of getting any water in places that I might not be able to clear when it comes to the braking system. I suppose I could blow it through and then flush it with brake fluid.

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I wouldn't have thought you'd need a sand blaster. The rear calipers are alloy, no? I just used some degreaser and a small wire brush.
I'll give that a go first, simple and safe are the best choices for me.

​​​Thanks both.
Old 19 October 2020, 10:25 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I would personally say you're less likely to end up with water anywhere you don't want it if you split the calipers as you can blow directly through the crossover holes to clear them out.
Old 29 October 2020, 09:45 AM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. I split the calipers and gave them a good wire brush and clean up, dried it all with the compressed air. Painted and rebuilt them.

All looks good so far.

Refurbished 2 pot calipers