Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Another ABS Light Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2020, 11:40 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Another ABS Light Thread

This has been annoying me since I changed the brakes on my 2006 Hawkeye. ABS light on yet I can't find the fault. It stays lit even before the engine is on so I don't think it's mucky sensors or a problem with the tone rings but a problem with the electrical side of the system. I changed the backplates of the rear hubs for the new brakes which obviously meant swapping the abs sensors over. They were really stuck so I had to use the grinder on the bolts and press on the sensors so I assumed I had just knackered those sensors. They still show the correct resistance though and I even plugged in some spare sensors and the light is still showing. Battery has been disconnected for an afternoon too to hopefully reset things but that didn't help.

Is there a way on the Hawkeye's to read the code without SSM? I know earlier cars had a plug under the wheel but I don't think the Hawk has one. Or is there a way to reset the light to see if it reappears or if it was just a hiccup in the system. I would just ignore the problem (stupid I know) but the mot is due in a few weeks so it needs to be sorted for that.
Old 02 November 2020, 02:03 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
Is there a way on the Hawkeye's to read the code without SSM? I know earlier cars had a plug under the wheel but I don't think the Hawk has one. Or is there a way to reset the light to see if it reappears or if it was just a hiccup in the system. I would just ignore the problem (stupid I know) but the mot is due in a few weeks so it needs to be sorted for that.
Only a more sophisticated scan tool with appropriate ABS module.
For example
Amazon Amazon
Attached Files
Old 02 November 2020, 04:07 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Only a more sophisticated scan tool with appropriate ABS module.
For example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autel-Maxil.../dp/B0753F835Z
Have you experience of that working for the ABS? I could justify the cost if it’ll definitely work for the ABS and airbag modules considering the dealer will probably charge nearly that just to plug their computer in.
Old 03 November 2020, 05:03 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Ended up ordering the Autel ML629 (newer version of what Don linked) and it worked a treat. Read the codes on the ABS module (both rear sensors) and cleared them. Light didn't come back on with the ignition so I suspect the computer was just holding onto the codes after I had disconnected them. We'll see if the light comes back after a bit of driving then I'll replace the sensors in that case.
The following users liked this post: