Notices

New career

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2013, 12:12 AM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New career

Looks like i'll be out of the Army in 2018 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21672681 (can't be arsed moving anymore)

Was just thinking what would be the best career move for myself in pembrokeshire? i've got a cople of years to plan but don't want to be the last rat off the sinking ship with no job to go to.
Old 06 March 2013, 06:46 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

If you have some of the skills already, try to get trained up in plumbing. Recession or not, loos leak, pipes burst in winter, taps drip and radiators don't get warm. You won't make a fortune (despite the media hype), but you'll always have some work.

Just make sure you always turn up on time, or let the customer know if you're running late, and you'll be okay.

Oh, and check every clause in your public liability insurance and make sure you comply with each one every time you take your blowtorch out of the van.

I hope this is of help.
Old 06 March 2013, 12:02 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Moz I told you a while ago Brawdy would go. Gpt the scenarip wrong but hey.

Can't see why you want out? Move to Barry its go more going for it than Haverstringvest
Old 06 March 2013, 12:46 PM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
If you have some of the skills already, try to get trained up in plumbing. Recession or not, loos leak, pipes burst in winter, taps drip and radiators don't get warm. You won't make a fortune (despite the media hype), but you'll always have some work.

Just make sure you always turn up on time, or let the customer know if you're running late, and you'll be okay.

Oh, and check every clause in your public liability insurance and make sure you comply with each one every time you take your blowtorch out of the van.

I hope this is of help.
Been a plasterer / general builder in the past, don't fancy going back down the self employed route. One of the reasons I packed it in as well was seeing all the older blokes in trades being virtual cripples by their 50's
Old 06 March 2013, 12:53 PM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Moz I told you a while ago Brawdy would go. Gpt the scenarip wrong but hey.

Can't see why you want out? Move to Barry its go more going for it than Haverstringvest

To be honest Brawdy has been closing since 1973 if it will go is still in the air at the moment, RAF Cosford was due to move to St Athan a few years back and that got sh*t canned because it would cost too much, this coming from an RAF budget which is usually much larger than an Army one.

There's still talk of lads coming from Germany to Brawdy and even from St Athan so they can use the runway down here plus be close to Castle Martin etc.

I'm from Pembrokeshire and been away with the forces for 13 years now travelling all over the place, I finally moved back last May and have no intentions of ever leaving Pemb's again unless it's on holiday

The whole area from Swansea to Newport does nothing for me, reminds me alot of the West Midlands where I spent along time of my time away. (That's not a compliment)
Old 06 March 2013, 02:13 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

The thing is my sources are quite well informed/placed and where I work is at the hub of all that is going on. Take it from me that this will go through.

Now progressing into my 33 year in green I understand your loyalty to your area and like you I and my family got fed up of travelling around but it pays the wages, rent and fun stuff. I have settled out of my area but it's where the jobs are when I curl up my toes. Unless something big kicks off in West Wales the likely hood of long term well paid employment is poor, it's the current climate I am afraid. What makes it worse is the "greenies" in the West who oppose everything.

The West Camp in St Athans is pretty full but the East Camp is empty apart for the med centre and some RAF Techie trainees. It's also got a fully working and maintained runway for the residents, the SSO who runs the place and I served together for 24 years, and he knows what's happening.

On a brighter side your round the corner from Nessa's Slot's, electric lights, running water and of course Barry Island .
Old 06 March 2013, 02:56 PM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
The thing is my sources are quite well informed/placed and where I work is at the hub of all that is going on. Take it from me that this will go through.

Now progressing into my 33 year in green I understand your loyalty to your area and like you I and my family got fed up of travelling around but it pays the wages, rent and fun stuff. I have settled out of my area but it's where the jobs are when I curl up my toes. Unless something big kicks off in West Wales the likely hood of long term well paid employment is poor, it's the current climate I am afraid. What makes it worse is the "greenies" in the West who oppose everything.

The West Camp in St Athans is pretty full but the East Camp is empty apart for the med centre and some RAF Techie trainees. It's also got a fully working and maintained runway for the residents, the SSO who runs the place and I served together for 24 years, and he knows what's happening.

On a brighter side your round the corner from Nessa's Slot's, electric lights, running water and of course Barry Island .

fair one, the "greenies" really **** me off arond here, they appose everything, which to be fair is pretty stupid when you've got the oil / lng stations in milford plus now the npower power station in pembroke as well.

Was thinking the police or even the refineries themselves, both i'd imagine would be very difficult to get into down here due to the clicky nature of things, would imagine i'm looked upon as a foreigner now as well due to me losing all but the odd local word out of my accent
Old 06 March 2013, 04:07 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

It is clicquey and I know two ex-WO's and an Officer (Ex-14 RAO) who are struggling to get any thing out west one in Pembroke and one about 4 miles from Cawdor.

They have both joined the Reserves and do three days a week with their pension it keeps them afloat.

Are you a bleep, spanner masher or spook?
Old 20 March 2013, 11:03 AM
Adma-RA
Scooby Regular

If you do decide to go down the route of getting plumbing certs get your commercial gas tickets - a mate of mine did exactly that when leaving the army and is laughing now as the commercial certs are so expensive to do privately so not many people have them in this area. He can pick and choose his work and charge the earth for it!