Notices

Scooby friend in need of advice...

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2010, 10:06 PM
Richy B
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scooby friend in need of advice...

OK, I need some heart felt advice from my fellow Welsh members, before I act on my nagging impulses and do something rash!

I am thinking of selling the 22B! Well worse than that actually, I am thinking of breaking it down to a rolling chassis (again) and selling it on retaining all the expensive bits for another Impreza project which I will use/enjoy more.

Now, let me give you 'my' for and against arguments...

For

1. Its a 22B!
2. I love my 22B and the way I feel when I drive it.
3. I have personally rebuilt the car from scratch (bought as a rolling chassis) to what it is today.
4. It will not lose value in comparison to other Impreza's.
5. If I sell it I won't be able to buy another.

Against

1. I hardly ever use the 22B anymore, due to working most weekends on our new house project and the car coming off the road during winter time.
2. It costs me £2K per year, even if it never leaves the garage.
3. We are struggling to get loans to build our house and the money in the 22B would help us get things moving.
4. The 22B retains too much value in comparison to other Impreza's that I would be 'happy' with (i.e Type R V-Limited)
5. My heart isn't in the Subaru scene as much as it use to be.

OK, so there it is... I know most people will think 'what are you doing Richy' but I am looking for genuine advice off people who I know and face similar dilemmas in this economic dismay.

Cheers in advance fellas,

Richy
Old 20 June 2010, 10:14 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont you sell it Whole.

At the end of the day a house should come first.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:22 PM
Richy B
Scooby Regular

Simple answer is I would lose too much money on the modifications I have done if it was sold as a whole. I would prefer to keep the engine and drivetrain to put into another car and sell the 22B as a rolling chassis. At the end of the day the chassis is worth £15K to the right person.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:23 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

As above if I had to sell a 22B then I would try to sell it on as a complete car, it is your choice and perhaps the car will be worth more broken down and sold for parts but could you bear to see the car pulled apart?
Old 20 June 2010, 10:36 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Nice new car for you Ty, Your buying everything latelly LOL
Old 20 June 2010, 10:36 PM
Richy B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
As above if I had to sell a 22B then I would try to sell it on as a complete car, it is your choice and perhaps the car will be worth more broken down and sold for parts but could you bear to see the car pulled apart?
TBH Ty, we are talking £20K's worth of modifications here if I/someone was to do this build again to this spec (engine build cost £6.5K alone)! I am capable of pulling the car apart and would be stupid not to if the decision was made to sell. At the end of the day what is my 22B worth? £19-20K as it is or £15K as a standard rolling chassis? Someone would get a bargain for sure if it was sold whole.

I am only really asking what other people what they would do if faced with the same situation, not so much the in's and out's of if it should be broken or not.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:41 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

In that case i would strip it and sell the bits seperatlly.

Wish i had 15K burning a hole in my pocket right now id have it.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:42 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richy B
TBH Ty, we are talking £20K's worth of modifications here if I/someone was to do this build again to this spec (engine build cost £6.5K alone)! I am capable of pulling the car apart and would be stupid not to if the decision was made to sell. At the end of the day what is my 22B worth? £19-20K as it is or £15K as a standard rolling chassis? Someone would get a bargain for sure if it was sold whole.

I am only really asking what other people what they would do if faced with the same situation, not so much the in's and out's of if it should be broken or not.
I can now see your point of view Rich, I suppose given the above then you would be foolish not to break it and sell the components.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:51 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

If I was in your situation Rich, I think I would have to break it, though I would find it god damn hard to go and break the car knowing what and how long it took to get it to the state its at now.

If your busy all the time currently getting the house sorted and working, where would you find the time to split the car and deal with all the questions about parts and so on.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:54 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Nooooo!! My favourite Scoob EVER!! If I had the cash I'd have it off you!! Something as special as yours would be worth £23k IMHO!! But as you say needs must etc!! I've been thinking of selling mine too but would not get back anywhere near as much as I've spent on it and I couldn't be arsed to break it I was offered £14k for it last week and that was the first time I'd considered it properly!!

You WILL regret selling without a doubt but may regret not selling it!! Not a big help am I Rich, sorry mate
Old 20 June 2010, 11:06 PM
Richy B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matscooby
If your busy all the time currently getting the house sorted and working, where would you find the time to split the car and deal with all the questions about parts and so on.
No dealing with questions over the parts, as I would be keeping them for a future 'cheaper' project car if it was sold.

As for time to break the car, sadly I am sure me and a friend could get it back to a rolling chassis over a couple of weekends.

As for Merv, cheers for the help LOL!
Old 20 June 2010, 11:16 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Sorry Rich
Old 21 June 2010, 08:14 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Rich,
in regards to your last point that your heart isn't in the scooby scene as much as it used to be, I understand how you might be feeling. But keep in mind that you have had a Scooby in one shape or form for many years now.

Once you are Scoobless I suspect you will start to think about all the good things associated with owning a Scooby and probably conclude that your heart is still in them more than you realised.

I dont know whats best for you but it sounds to me like you need a new project. Whatever you decide to do with 22B, sell whole or break it down, I reckon your best way forwards is to pick up something relatively cheap that with your knowlegde and experience can be transformed into something a little bit special.

In short it sounds to me like you need a change from the 22B but not neccessarily away from Subaru.

Sell the 22B, free up some cash for the house, put a few bob aside and start a new project.

Just my thoughts Rich, hope my input is useful.
Old 21 June 2010, 11:58 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

To save on running costs you could take it off the road decommission it for a few years until your back on your feet, it will never go down in value.
To release funds for your home which I think is what your trying to do then sell and move on, yes thats harsh but you will always have the memories of such a car and the Tee shirt so to speak.
For me home is no 1 nice cars have to take a place further down the pecking order if needs must.

Good luck Richy.
Old 21 June 2010, 12:18 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Think u will always regret selling it, but at least u have owned one which is more than most people.
Think u would have more fun in a Type R, coz u would be less worried about the value and rareness of the car.
Standard'ish 22B's still seem to be advertised at £20K+ so recon yours has got to be worth £25K+ to the right person.
Personnally id advertise as a whole car at a price u would be happy with even if it seems high to others, ur not desperate to sell, u can always break it and sell as a rolling chassis if it doesn't sell.
Old 21 June 2010, 05:28 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Rich,

There is alot of interest in Subaru's from abroad at the moment with the exchange rate being so crap. I know a number of UK/JDM cars have gone east on to the mainland. And as your is a real icon of Subaru's I wouldn't be surprised if you had a few requests.

It will be a great lose to the Subaru Community if you broke it down.

But sometimes needs must as the devil drives but FFS keep it until after the Elan Valley Dam meet, pleeeeeease
Old 21 June 2010, 07:07 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

If you are going to sell it, you sell it for the most you can get for it, which is going to be striped down.
I'm not sure you'll get £15K for a rolling shell though not when a standard runing car is £20K

It's a car at the end of the day, you can always jump back in one another time
Old 21 June 2010, 08:51 PM
Richy B
Scooby Regular

Well, you can build a 22B up from a rolling chassis for probably £5K (I spent a lot more when I did it because I wanted a big spec) so I would think £15K would be a reasonable price.

If you buy a £20-23K 22B there is no guarantee the engine will last or indeed the drive-train, so for similar money you could have a car which you know will be reliable.

I am gonna spend a few weeks weighing up my options on this, but as most of you say if i don't get what I want for it then there is no rush to sell.
Old 21 June 2010, 10:13 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only add to what everyone else has said Richy, I know we spoke about the house and it sounds great and if needs must then maybe it is your best option if not the most comfortable.... at the end of the day as Kev said car's come further down the list.
One thing if you did sell a rolling shell you could then buy an old RA with an option of still having great performance at a later date with a known engine plus cheaper running costs.
Old 22 June 2010, 12:00 AM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

What exactly would the rolling chassis need ? What will it be missing ?
Old 22 June 2010, 06:15 PM
Richy B
Scooby Regular

If I was to do it, the buyer would need the complete engine (plus engine bay components), gearbox (prop, rear diff, front shafts) and exhaust system. It would come with all the interior, ecu and wiring loom. All the electrical go faster bits would also be removed (ecu, boost controller, etc).

When I bought the 22B it never came with the genuine engine or drive-train, so I am not taking anything genuine away from the car by breaking back to a rolling chassis and keeping the parts.

I am still making my mind up yet, but what I have decided so far is that if I do sell it will be as a rolling chassis.