Notices

an Eibach story.........

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2001, 10:39 PM
jack b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Ive got a 95 wrx i decided to get new wheels which i did 2 weeks ago i got some 19s.... i thought id get some -30 eibach springs which i got to make it handle better and close the wheel arch gap abit.

I had them fitted today and theres no handling improvement and the cars not any lower and im less of £340 now, so im not happy!!! I think the car may have already had uprated springs fitted. anyone else had this happen??
Old 28 November 2001, 04:09 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Eibach springs are not intended to be used on any Jap imports, they are designed to work with UK dampers.
It takes a while for the springs to settle too, so you may not notice the full effect of lowering for a while, it won't be -30mm anyway.
And unless you knew your car wasn't already fitted with lowering springs then you'll never appreciate the benefit of them I guess.
Also, £340 seems awfully steep just for springs. Who fitted them?

Stef.
Old 28 November 2001, 04:12 PM
jack b
Scooby Regular

i payed £140 for the springs and £200 to have them fitted with all the tracking done........
Old 29 November 2001, 12:40 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Did you get the wheels & springs from the same place?

Where abouts in the country are you?

Matt
Old 29 November 2001, 12:39 PM
jack b
Scooby Regular

I got the wheels from TSL motorsport.
and spring fom my local supplier in essex........
Old 29 November 2001, 04:03 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Jack

hmmm.. Eibach...A top set of springs. Stef's right that they are optimised for UK dampers although they can work very well with Jap dampers depending on year and model. (they work very well on my 94 WRX)

Ride height wise, they aren't very low really. They deliberately retain some compliancy to cope with European roads. This has to be done to gain TUV approval amongst other things.

This is normally a good thing as over a series of undulations there is enough spring movement to prevent them from getting coil bound.

Handling wise, Eibachs really must be properly laser aligned to get the full benefit. Simply re-tracking will not give the accuracy that the chassis needs. We will not fit Eibachs and ONLY re-track. We only laser align after. the difference is night and day.

Anyway mate, give me a bell if we can help.. a proper geo. set up should make you smile again!

Cheers

Trouser
Old 29 November 2001, 04:20 PM
jack b
Scooby Regular

Cheers Trouser

The place i took it to used a laser aliment machine, they said "it will be done well its a £40.000 machine"

They also said that they can set it to uk, wrx import and prodrive settings...........
Old 30 November 2001, 09:11 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I blame the wheels! 19"! What did you go from?
I put some Compomotive MO's (18") for playing on, replacing my lovely light BBS 17" wheels. Basically the weight difference screwed the suspension up right royally. Crashy, bangy, ugly
I didn't even realise how bad it was till I out the original wheels back on 3k miles later, ah blise!
I'd suggest trying the old wheels if you've got them. 19" for pose only, always going to have negative ride and handling impact
(Hello 19" Trouser )
Chuck
Old 30 November 2001, 11:51 AM
jack b
Scooby Regular

I went from standard 16''s......... its settled abit now its a touch lower,,,,,
Old 05 December 2001, 05:54 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

What springs would people recommend to put on the imported cars, if Eicbach are not suitable (I know 2 people who put on Eichbachs on sti5's and the result was poor)

I want to lower my car and improve handling, but I dont want to fork out well over £1k to do it, with all the associated problems I have heard about Leda and DMS, 100% road use.

I need to get the front end lowered a fair bit as the stereo gear in the boot makes the back end ssit lower anyway!!

My handling has been improved by:

18 inch alloys with 215/35 profile (though you have to be more careful due to possible tramlining)
Bump steer/antilift kit/front and rear MRT bars/rear drop links/Powerstation set up and soon to have hks front and rear strut braces!

Any comments most appreciated

Jack B - hope you get everything sorted, and perhaps we'll get a comment on what is good for imported cars?

Theres too many threads with numerous comments and no succinct answers out there

Old 06 December 2001, 08:15 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, Stef and Steve, I've driven both of Scott's 98WRX and a 2000 STi RA's with standard dampers (for those cars) with Eibachs and taken them down some real bumpy B-Roads and given them a good work out. I have to say I was very impressed with both of these both in ride quality terms and comfort and would recommend Eibach's to anyone with a UK or any Jap model.

The Eibach's on Scott's RA were working quite well at Bedford this year also so a good all rounder spring IMHO

Steve, if you don't want to spend the money on Leda/DMS then the other two choices would probably be either AVO or the new Bilstein's that are due out shortly. If you're concerned about ride quality on the road then the AVO's *may* not be soft enough for you (but depends on which spring weight you buy) and the Billie's will probably suit you better as the Bump setting could be adjusted to a suitably soft setting to suit you.

Matt
Old 06 December 2001, 10:41 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Matt

Thanks for that..

Dya know how the rears are adjusted on the Bilstein - is it a case of taking the rear seats out, etc - ie top adjustable at the rear?

I only want the car about 20mm's lower at the back and about 30-40mm at the front to equal out the ride height properly

Is there any prices on the Bilsteins yet
Old 06 December 2001, 01:28 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steve,

not sure on the details of the new Billies (and am not certain if they are ride height adjustable or not) but I know Powerstation are going to be selling them and possibly TSL so you could ask them. There have also been some threads about the new Billies so you could try a search in this forum.

Personally I would buy them from NAM as they've repeatably given me by far the best service out of everyone so far, but I know you're not happy with them so try PS or TSL....

Matt

P.S. Taking the rear seat out to adjust the rears is a 5 min job BTW....
Old 06 December 2001, 05:16 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Matt

Think I'll do a check
5 minutes.... - to me that means 2 hours......

I'd also purchase from NAM - but have not got the last lot I ordered back in July - so I'll pass - may be a trip to Powerstation if they're the ones to go for

Ta
Old 10 December 2001, 08:58 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'd also purchase from NAM - but have not got the last lot I ordered back in July
That is surprising indeed!!! I've always found New Age to be very prompt, reliable and trustworhty!! Craig has never let me down, if he says it will be delivered on day x then it has always turned up then.

He's even sent me two differing (competing) products before, let me choose the one I want, send back the one I don't want and then charge me for the one that I do!!! How good is that?

Customer Service at it's best!!

Matt
Old 17 December 2001, 02:01 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I've no idea where the rumour that Eibachs are not suited to imports came from, but it is absolute ****.
I fitted them on my STi4 and the difference was amazing.
I also know people have them fitted to STi5's who are well pleased also.
Ironically enough, the only negative reports I've heard was that the UK dampers were not strong enough to deal with them and that JAP dampers (especially STi) were far more suitable.....
Still, I have heard MANY reports from happy owners of UK models.
I think it's a case of expectation and I suggest that the rumour about import unsuitability came from the same source as the rubbish about all imports being dangerous/stolen/hard to get parts for/won't run on our petrol...ad nauseum.

Neil.
Old 17 December 2001, 03:36 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neil,

Agreed!!!! I thank you

Matt
Old 17 December 2001, 03:43 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular