Notices

Eibach or H&R

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 03:08 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all

I am pondering over which springs to get for my MY00 UK Turbo.

I know a lot of you have eibachs and have said that they are top class however, they dont appear to lower the car much (some do some dont). The reason for me changing the springs is primarily to lower the car so im thinking the eibachs maybe a little hit or miss on that front.

I have heard some people talk about the H&R springs and how they are every bit as good in the ride and handling department as the eibachs....anyone care to comment? Is this true? I checked with a local supplier of these and was told they will lower the car 50mm, is this too much?

What i would really like is to see a pic of a car running the -50mm H&R springs, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Ian

[This message has been edited by Maxy_UK (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 23 May 2001, 06:39 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

If all you want to do is lower the car, why not just take a coil out of the oem one?

Would've thought 50mm will be WAY to much on the std dampers.

And say goodbye to practicality.

God I sound old
Old 24 May 2001, 12:27 AM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi

Thanx David.....very nice looking car That drop is exactly what im looking for. So i guess its H&R for me.

Cheers

Ian
Old 24 May 2001, 04:47 AM
daw
Scooby Regular

OK Ian, you asked for it
Old 26 May 2001, 02:20 PM
to ferreira
Scooby Regular

Ian

I have a MY99, with HR springs, lowered 50 mm and 215x45-17 tires.

the car looks very nice as you can realise in the picture:
Old 26 May 2001, 06:35 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi to ferreira

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What is this damper correction you are talking about? Is it a simple job?

Regards

Ian

PS: are those speedlines you have? What sort of front bumper is that?

[This message has been edited by Maxy_UK (edited 26 May 2001).]
Old 27 May 2001, 08:48 AM
to ferreira
Scooby Regular

Ian

when you change the springs you are lowering the car chassis but not the rollertrain.

this means that the damper case remains in the original position and the damper piston works xxxx mm bellow.

with HR spring set for impreza ( 50 mm), you take the risk to damage the dampers as, in bad surface roads, the bottom end of damper piston (at its lower level)touchs the inside bottom end of damper case.

so, this is the reason to recommend that correction performed by skilled people.

regarding wheels are speedline gold, but painted to remove logos ( speedline corse).

the front and rear bumpers are from "erebuni" in the States.

regards

to ferreira

Old 27 May 2001, 09:31 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cool

David,

Forgot the smiley.

Was being sarcastic as usual
Old 28 May 2001, 04:38 AM
daw
Scooby Regular

Olá To Ferreira,

It sounds like someone wanted to sell you something there. This is not at all necessary with the MY99-00 Impreza GT/WRX. It would be necessary if they actually lowered the car by 50mm, but they don't, nor do they actually claim to lower an Impreza GT/WRX 50mm. I can only guess this came from the US where they would lower their Impreza by this amount.

In fact, you can not safely lower an Impreza GT/WRX 50mm unless you go to a coilover setup or maybe custom struts. If you tried this, you would be hitting the bump stops and your car would actually end up handling worse than before.

I measured my car before and after and the change was 25mm. The H&R springs are designed to use the standard Impreza GT/WRX dampers and they work very very well with them too. I have done over 10000km on them and am still extremely happy. I know of others that have had them over 30000km with no problems either and believe me, our roads can be quite rough!

David

P.S. CraigH.. you sound old ;-)

Old 28 May 2001, 10:07 PM
to ferreira
Scooby Regular

ola David

I have now in my hands the HR catalogue.that the same I used to choose the spring set to fit my car.part number 29472 will lower the car aprpr. 50 mm.this is realy what HR state in their complete catalogue.

in fact I did not measure as you do, but I believe in the figures printed.

another fact is that I felt the problem, immediately, repeat immediately springs fitting.

so, the works performed in the dampers were not to avoid a problem but to solve a problem.
in fact, I did not see what kind of changes they made, but I know that it was terminated.

you can believe that I acept your arguments but let me point to the spring set you have fitted; is it the same part number I mentioned above?maybe not.

regards

to ferreira

ps. David, are your parents or grandparents from portuguese origin or do you know some portuguese words?

talogue.acepting that someone sold me something because
Old 30 May 2001, 01:10 AM
daw
Scooby Regular

Olá To Ferreira,

This is 50mm lower than the standard Impreza. The standard Impreza happens to be 25mm higher than a WRX/GT. Therefore, 50-25 = 25! Yes, the H&R springs are 25mm lower than a standard WRX/GT and are 50mm lower than a standard Impreza RX/Sport.

I guess if you felt this problem then there are two reasons:

1. The Portugese market Impreza that you have rides 25mm higher than an Australian spec WRX (which is supposed to be identical to a UK spec car).
2. Some suggestive selling occurred ;-)

I am 100% satisfied with how my car goes with the standard shocks and yes, I have the same part number.

Nós concordamos discordar :-)

Regards,

David