Notices

KYB Wagon Rear Shocks Info...

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2014, 05:05 PM
Scottie9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb KYB Wagon Rear Shocks Info...

Looks like KYB have updated their website catalogue & finally state what shocks fit the wagon.

Subaru Impreza 2.0 Turbo WRX GG 01.03-12.07

Front :
Excel G 334463L
Excel G 334462R
Ultra SR 324035L
Ultra SR 324034R
Bump Stops 910142

Rear :
Excel G 334357L
Excel G 334356R
Ultra SR 324037L
Ultra SR 324036R
Bump Stops 910046

http://www.kyb-europe.com/pdf/2014-C...-Version-A.pdf

Old 10 September 2014, 09:25 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

I'm just in the process of ordering new front KYB shocks for my 05 wagon which has inverted struts from the factory. Unfortunately the Excel-G part numbers above are still not inverted struts but are the US equivalent (US didn't have inverted struts on the WRX I am told), non-inverted part numbers so Front Excel G 334463L & Excel G 334462R are not inverted.

I phoned Subaru for a price (are you sitting down)...£400 each for inverted front struts.

If you order through camskill I'm pretty sure these will be non-inverted as well.

AS Performance are convinced they can get KYB inverted struts for around £125 each.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to fit non-inverted struts as they don't suffer from knocking like the inverted versions so I'm going the non-inverted route as I've discovered the new rears on mine fitted by the dealer I bought the car off are also non inverted and work perfectly well.

PS. I also e-mailed KYB Europe will the Subaru inverted strut part numbers and KYB could not cross reference with any of their struts...

Last edited by modrich; 10 September 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11 September 2014, 09:06 AM
Scottie9
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's right mate, the only way to replace like for like was genuine Subaru items - not paying £800!!! None of the company's (suabru,camskill,kyb) would confirm the non inverted struts would fit. A few members had give it a go & they were right to, I've put off doing it for the past 2 years but finally ordered some then checked their website again & they now confirm they fit.
Have ordered the kyb bump stops also as the inverted strut has them built in & I'm sure the others don't come with them. Going to put some lowering springs on to get rid on the 4x4 stance lol

Can get them on Ebay for £74.41 each (£148.82) which is a bargain - cars booked in next week so fingers crossed

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...arts-code.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...pe-struts.html
Old 11 September 2014, 09:11 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Good, as long as you're aware

Where did you order the bump stops from?

Which lowering springs are you going for? Mine arrived yesterday, PCA Dynamics/Prodrive blues
Old 11 September 2014, 09:47 AM
Scottie9
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'd already spoken to Camskill & KYB last year but both stated only the inverted Subaru type would fit. I've spent hours & hours searching for answers as I'm not really an impulse buyer, I like to know what I'm getting's right lol but for some reason I had the urge to check again yesterday & that just confirmed it so put in the order.
Ordered KYB bump stop kit as it states that on the catalogue as well, was just going to get a universal set from a motor factor but they say these fit.
Wanted Pro Drive springs but none come up but whilst I was looking a set of Apex springs come up in great condition & very good price so they've been sitting in my shed for the best part of a year lol

Old 11 September 2014, 10:25 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Those links you posted above are well worth a read! Would have saved me a lot of trawling the web if I'd found them before.

It looks like the top nuts should in theory come with the dampers, is that your opinion?

Yep, the PCA Dynamics springs come with revised/more compliant front bump stops for the inverted struts so this made me realise that I would need to order new bump stops. I'm also assuming that the new rear KYBs fitted by the dealer on my wagon don't have new bump stops so I'm going to order rears as well.

Are the bump stops you ordered for the front 910142? Rears seem to be 910046 but not 100% these aren't just dust covers?
Old 11 September 2014, 11:05 AM
Scottie9
Scooby Regular

I thought being a kit it would be the sleeve & bump stop so as to replace everything along with the shock? That's what it suggests/shows on the catalogue :/ your doubting me now lol

Ill post a pic once I have them but at £18 even if its just new dust covers then so be it, it says they are compatible so we will see

Last edited by Scottie9; 11 September 2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11 September 2014, 11:09 AM
Scottie9
Scooby Regular

Kayaba - KYB Protection Kit - 910046

KYB-Kayaba Part Number = 910046

Kit Contains :- 2 x Bump Stops and 2 x Dust Covers
KAYABA - KYB Protection Kit

Reasons you need to change every time you replace shockers
Prevents dust and moisture from damaging the piston surface and seal
Protects piston rod from corrosion due to road pollution (dust, moisture, stones impact)
Increases the life of the strut
Avoids premature oil leakage from the shock absorber
Limits the suspension travel in the compression phase which improves road handling
Saves money by increasing the life of the shock absorber and coil spring
No extra labour time if changing at the same time as the shock absorber

When should Protection Kits be changed?
Answer = Each time the shock absorbers are replaced.

Using old Bump stops and dust covers can have a detrimental effect on the life of the shock absorber plus the old bump stops can have an ingress of dust and grit which could damage the piston and seals which is NOT covered by warranty. Your car your choice - If a job is worth doing it's worth doing right.

Cross Reference Part Numbers :-

Last edited by Scottie9; 11 September 2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11 September 2014, 11:23 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

If you search for KYB 910046 (REAR) on ebay some pics show this:

some show this:

admittedly they are generic pics but none specifically say 'bump stops'. I will e-mail KYB.
Old 11 September 2014, 12:07 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Yep, KYB have confirmed the kits include bump stops...

Where did you order them from?
Old 11 September 2014, 12:57 PM
Scottie9
Scooby Regular

Ebay mate :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Prote...item4ad3cbe2b0

Old 11 October 2014, 01:19 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having a similar conundrum myself. My Wagon has done 104k on its original shocks, so the time has come.

I would prefer the firmer STi style shocks but Camskill don't seem to list the Ultra SR kit for GG application. They do seem to do them in pairs but I'm reluctant to pay more that way.

My Wagon is an 03. Am I likely to need new top mounts, and who does these? Dealer only? Any ideas on price?

With regards the Ultra SRs being likely to fail like the OE items, surely there's some kind of manufacturer warranty in place?
Old 11 October 2014, 10:10 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Have you looked on the KYB website? They have a pdf catalogue and lists the Ultra SR struts for the GG wagon 01/2003 to 12/2007.

fronts left 324035 right 324034

rears left 324037 right 324036

The struts that seem to fail prematurely are the inverted type which were only fitted to 2005+ WRX wagons (like mine) KYB don't make any standard inverted struts for the WRX and would assume that the Ultra SRs for the WRX are not inverted either.

As for top mounts, at 104k miles I would change them as they can cause knocking if worn. KYB do top mounts (listed in the catalogue) as do lots of suspension parts manufactures like Lemforder. There's a member on here with some new lemforder top mounts for sale here: https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...op-mounts.html
Old 11 October 2014, 10:31 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Are you sure the Ultra SRs are not inverted? That was how I read it on one of those threads linked. As far as availability, I did say Camskill have them, just not as a complete set. You seem to have to buy them as pairs for some reason?

Cheers for the heads up on the top mounts!
Old 12 October 2014, 10:37 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

use those part numbers to search on ebay, I bought my front set from there and were cheaper than camskill by £40 a pair. I have no idea if they are inverted or not, sorry.
Old 12 October 2014, 10:56 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

No worries I shall give them a try

I'm following your thread with interest BTW. I considered the Excel-G shocks but I really miss my old STi and would prefer a similar ride to that if I can.

Just trying to establish which top mounts best suit my needs now.
Old 13 November 2014, 04:32 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scottie9
Looks like KYB have updated their website catalogue & finally state what shocks fit the wagon.

Subaru Impreza 2.0 Turbo WRX GG 01.03-12.07

Front :
Excel G 334463L
Excel G 334462R
Ultra SR 324035L
Ultra SR 324034R
Bump Stops 910142

Rear :
Excel G 334357L
Excel G 334356R
Ultra SR 324037L
Ultra SR 324036R
Bump Stops 910046

http://www.kyb-europe.com/pdf/2014-C...-Version-A.pdf

I wanted to update this thread just to say that I had an interesting conversation with one of the guys at Camskill today.

Having asked if they could supply the rear Wagon Ultra SR shocks, as their website shows only the saloon part numbers, they came back with the following numbers:

The eagle eyed among you might notice that two of those are listed by KYB for the wagon (the fronts) and the other two are listed for the saloon. When I queried this and pointed to (and attached a page from) the KYB catalogue, I was told that in 7+ years he had not got it wrong with part numbers for shocks, plus he had checked my VIN number with KYB themselves before quoting me part numbers. He told me not to pay too much attention to the catalogue and that the KYB tech guys were of the same opinion.

I'm pretty confused by all this. My brain is telling me that this just can't be right, but this guy was full of conviction about this and if he has checked my chassis number with KYB's tech guys and this is what they have said, how can that be wrong?

My brain is scrambled. I'd be really interested to hear from anyone that has bought the parts that the catalogue states are right. The worst thing would be to buy them, go to the trouble of fitting them go for a geo and find out it's wrong.
Old 14 November 2014, 11:25 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Eagle eye here. Looks like a hybrid set of numbers that. Check with Camskill if the rear part numbers are also listed for the saloon on their system, if they are then I would say Camskill have it wrong. I was of the opinion that the KYB catalogue wasn't very accurate but the Excel-G part numbers for my wagon were all spot-on and fitted perfectly. If you are ordering from Camskill I would confirm via e-mail that they are correct then you have it in writing if the dampers turn out to be wrong, but my head is telling me to confirm the KYB catalogue numbers with Neil Boyes (n.boyes@kyb-europe.com) and if confirms ok stick to what the catalogue says.
Old 14 November 2014, 12:11 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Eagle eye here. Looks like a hybrid set of numbers that. Check with Camskill if the rear part numbers are also listed for the saloon on their system, if they are then I would say Camskill have it wrong. I was of the opinion that the KYB catalogue wasn't very accurate but the Excel-G part numbers for my wagon were all spot-on and fitted perfectly. If you are ordering from Camskill I would confirm via e-mail that they are correct then you have it in writing if the dampers turn out to be wrong, but my head is telling me to confirm the KYB catalogue numbers with Neil Boyes (n.boyes@kyb-europe.com) and if confirms ok stick to what the catalogue says.
I do have it all in writing via email that they are correct. It's more the hassle to be honest that would be involved in discovering that they are wrong. He was very sure like I say, but I still find it really difficult to get my head around the catalogue specifically listing the other part numbers against my car.

Thanks for the email address there, I will contact him myself and see what he thinks about this.
Old 14 November 2014, 12:37 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Catalogue doesn't list conflicting part numbers, it's Camskill that are doing that?

Saloon WRX Ultra SRs highlighted blue

Wagon WRX Ultra SRs highlighted red

Name:  KYBp248ultraSRpartnumbershighlighted_zpseb8e270a.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  148.1 KB

Admittedly, the catalogue omits your 2.5 from the model description but is covered in date column
Old 14 November 2014, 01:27 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Catalogue doesn't list conflicting part numbers, it's Camskill that are doing that?

Saloon WRX Ultra SRs highlighted blue

Wagon WRX Ultra SRs highlighted red

Admittedly, the catalogue omits your 2.5 from the model description but is covered in date column
Sorry, you have misunderstood me. I'm in full agreement with you about the catalogue. It is indeed Camskill that are giving me part numbers that conflict with what the catalogue says.

My car is a 2003 Blobeye 2.0. I haven't updated my garage on here since owning the Spec-D, that's all
Old 29 December 2014, 12:36 PM
Reef
Scooby Regular

Sorry to resurrect this old thead but I'm in the same position as scottie9 and want to know how he got on.
Scottie9 - did they fit ok, did you notice any handling difference from changing to non inverted?
Did you need the protection kit or did they come with the bump stops and did you change the top mounts?
Any information would be greatly received.
Dave
Old 07 September 2015, 09:01 PM
Matt_182
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thread rivival....how are people getting on with these shocks? Really need to replace my rears and wondered if bump stops and covers are included?
Old 07 September 2015, 09:07 PM
Reef
Scooby Regular

Hey,
I did replace my rears about 6 months ago with the Excel-G's and am really pleased. I did need the protection kit.
I'm just saving up to to the fronts now.
Old 07 September 2015, 09:16 PM
Matt_182
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reef
Hey,
I did replace my rears about 6 months ago with the Excel-G's and am really pleased. I did need the protection kit.
I'm just saving up to to the fronts now.
Thanks for the info, what's the reason for the protection kit do the OEM struts not have these fitted already?

I take it this is the specific part? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301448946160&globalID=EB AY-GB

Last edited by Matt_182; 07 September 2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08 September 2015, 11:53 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_182
Another thread rivival....how are people getting on with these shocks? Really need to replace my rears and wondered if bump stops and covers are included?
Neither are included.

I have a spare set of unopened covers I think, if you need some?

I'd expect bump-stops will need replacing.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 08 September 2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Additional