Notices

05 WRX Strut knock - help with parts/code

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2013, 07:41 PM
Konan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 WRX Strut knock - help with parts/code

I understand that this is a common issue and there is a LOTof information around on it. I’m just looking for confirmation that I’ve putall the threads together right and reached the correct conclusion as I’d liketo avoid buying the wrong bits.

I found that the NS/R shock was clunking on my 2005WRX Wagon.At this point, I didn’t know how common it was, I thought it was all sorts ofthings until a squirt of white lith shut it up for a short while. So I’ve done whata lot of people appear to do and I’ve used the KYB application guide, spotted theones to fit GG late 02 onwards (334356/334357) and ordered them. Today, I’ve found out that ifyou hover the mouse over the part code, it actually states that they fit up to04 in the small print. Anyway, I’ve got non inverted type shocks to replace myinverted type.

From what I can tell from my thread reading and theoccasional picture, the 03/04 shocks that I have will fit the same top hats as my05 inverted type. From what I could make out from the dealer, 01/02 aredifferent (and NS/OS specific)… this would tie in with KYB offering a differentshock on the earlier new-age.

So, assuming that I can fit the 03/04 strut to my 05 top hatI would be left without gaiters or bump stops. Search as I might, I can’t finda specific kit to fit an Impreza. After the pain of trying to get top hatinformation out of my dealer (took me 40 minutes), I’d be interested to know ifanyone has the OE part codes…. or knows a dealer that won’t meet my request fora part that ISN’T the exact one the computer says my car needs with a vacant expression.

Even knowing that Ican get the stops and gaiters for the struts I have will mean I can take the struts off of the car, takethem apart and verify that the top end is the same on the two types. I don’treally want to chase breakers around or order a whole set of struts just forthe parts. I’m happy to go new OE and next day. Taking the car off the roadmeans driving my ’98 Cherokee, which is on a mission to kill me

In Summary:
Will the 03/04 shock definitely fit the 05 top hat?
Can anyone help with part codes for bump stops and gaitersto fit. If not, a switched on dealer would be great.
Old 09 April 2013, 10:26 PM
Konan
Scooby Regular

On the off chance.... I don't suppose the shaft in the inverted shock is a similar diameter to the non inverted? Just thinking I could strip the bump stops out of the old unit?
Old 11 April 2013, 07:25 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

I can't remember the part codes for the KYBs I had fitted to my 05 WRX Wagon, but it was the earlier, non-inverted type. FWIW, I use the info on various threads on here. Be careful that you get ones for wagons because they are different from saloon ones.

I got mine fitted by Subaru4You at Newbury and we ended up getting generic bump stops.

Hope that helps.
Old 13 April 2013, 06:06 PM
Konan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice there. I've taken one shock off of the car and can confirm a few bits now.

For the benefit of anyone else that may find the thread...

03-04 KYB (codes in my first post) non inverted wagon shocks appear to the 05 top hats. However, I've found that the shocks have a coarser thread so the original nut won't fit.

My struts where fitted by He-Man. With no spring tension, I couldn't budge the nut securing the top hat even with a 1/2 drive vortex socket. Ended up claming the body of the dampner with two sets of mole grips and using a foot long bar! What I wouldn't do for an impact gun!

I think the dust cover is fine. I've stripped the bump stop out of the inverted shock but the shaft is much thinner than the non inverted type so can't be recycled.

Even with some compression on the shock, I managed to break whatever stopped the rod from spinning inside the inverted shock.....

Take this, nut....

Last edited by Konan; 13 April 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 16 April 2013, 09:43 PM
Konan
Scooby Regular

I ordered the self locking nut for an 03/04 car and it doesn't fit the KYB shocks. However, the nut for the bolts that fit through the hub work just fine.

Got the bump stops. If you buy them from Subaru, you need to sit down before you see the price. Still works out a LOT cheaper than getting the inverted strut from them though!

I've also popped a couple of new bolts in the bottom as the old ones started to round off when I took them off.

I've just put one side back together and it all looks good. Subject to a test drive and a look over by a proper mechanic (I like a 2nd opinion on things that make you stay on the road and slow down!) I'd say it's all good.

Parts used to replace 05 WRX Wagon inverted shocks:

KYB shocks - 334356/334357

2 x Subaru Bump stops - S20371AA041
4 x Flange Bolt M1 - S20540AA100
6 x Self lock net - S20550AA010

The only thing I'm a little worried about is if I have enough torque on the lower bolt. Can't get a socket over it as the drive shaft / joint is in the way, so it's done up as best possible with a ring spanner on one side.

Old 21 April 2013, 04:53 PM
Konan
Scooby Regular

Turns out that the extra nuts for the shocks should come with them (two nylock type). The fist shock I did was missing this nut so I assumed I had to buy them in. Found one in the 2nd one when it was too late!

So only 4 x Self lock net - S20550AA010 required.