Sport General sport discussion

The Astro Villa Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2007, 09:45 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The Astro Villa Chronicles

Thought I'd make a weekly diary of our 6 a side team. After 10 months of playing astro turf football on Wednesday nights we've finally got a team together and entered in to the Football Mondial leagues. Our season kicked off on the 18th at 21:30 - Great! The leagues consist of Premiership, Championship. League 1 and League 2. We expected to be starting at the bottom and work our way up but we've been put in to League 1! I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing, we'll soon find out if we'll survive or slide down to League 2 (where we probably belong)

Match 1 report : Astro Villa 'v' Jam Factory FC

Astro Villa 0-7 Jam Factory

Keeper - Scott
2 - James
8 - Ben
10 - Dave
11 - Marc
12 - Jimerthy

One of the lads dropped out this afternoon stating that a 21:30 kick wasn't good for him, he has a point as he lives out of York. But I knew this would happedn as hes the type of person to agree to something then back out, he knew the times weeks ago.

A lad at work said he was good in goal and that he would be our keepers if we wanted (Yes, the same lad with the issues!) My mate couldn't find anyone else so we went for him. All day I've not expected him to turn up and we were waiting for ages in the car park only for him to be already at the pitch, felt quite guilty! None of us expected him to be any good either!

We saw some lads practicing shooting, very hard shots! We were hoping they weren't Jam Factory, they were! Straight away Scott (keeper) had to make a save, he dived across the goal on the floor, he wasn't lying hes amazing!!! I had one decent run with the ball down the left wing but these guys were far too good for us! James had a coming together with one player and they both fell to the floor, I heard their players head hit the ground!

We spent most of the night defending, and what little attacking we did didn't last for long! As I was sprinting up and down after 15 minutes I was knackered! By the half time whistle we had conceeded 3 goals, all down to our defending.

Second half and switch around. We were a complete mess to be honest! I was managing to tackle them but not keep hold of the ball afterwards! I mainly defended for the last 10 minutes to no avail as we conceeded 2 more goals!

We were really out classed and it just showed how bad we are, still I expected to lose by more than 7 goals! So much harder than the game we play on Wednesdays where theres about 8 a side!

Match 2 report: Astro Villa 'v' FC Burrgerr 07

Astro Villa 0-0 FC Burrgerr 07

A fairly quiet night for me in goal tonight, mainly just a few throws out after the other team had hit wide! A lad called Dale came tonight who played defence, most notably right back. He played really well and his ball distribution was spot on. We're going to ask him to join the team. The other lad standing in didn't really do an awful lot, he had a few skills but didn't do anything of significance. Me and James, whos team it is isn't keen on having him. Come half time I dribbled a ball that was next to the goal and scored at the other end from 10 yards, shame it was half time! Come second half there wasn't really a lot for me to do, the other lads had a couple of shots but nothing came off. Towards the end one of the Burrgerr lads had a shot on goal, I stuck my left leg out to the left at 90 degrees to my body and blocked it Whistle went. Our first point.

Oh, and Jam Factory, the team that beat us last week, scored 3 goals in under 5 minutes against their opponants after we finished!!!!
Old 25 June 2007, 10:18 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

nice one marc keep us updated
Old 26 June 2007, 10:50 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Great team name . .
Old 02 July 2007, 08:54 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Match 3 report: Astro Villa 2-2 CSWS

James number 2 offered to go in goal tonight. I got the ball passed to me and I was away down the left, then the whistle went. I'm not sure why as the ball was still in play. I didn't really do a lot more in the first half as no one was passing the ball my way, I ended up chasing people down. CSWS had the most chances during the first half, most going wide. Second half and I got a few more chances and took most of the kick ins. Dale had a few runs on the right which didn't come to anything. We then conceeded a goal which took us all by surprise, we never saw it coming. A few minutes later we conceeded another, due to our poor defending. I had another run and a shot on goal, going just slightly wide. Then James had a shot and scored. I had another shot going wide then another run but I got closed down and I ended up kicking it out of play. We then got a free kick just outside the box and Dale scored. I chased one of the CSWS guys down and we both went to kick the ball and I took a shot at his shin, he yelped Just before time James number 2 passed me the ball but I didn't have enough time to turn around and run so all I could do was kick it out.

I had half a decent performance, mainly in the second half but at least we've got a couple of goals and another point.
Old 09 July 2007, 10:18 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Match 4 report: Astro Villa 0-5 Varsity FC

Shocking tonight, it just seemed like there were too many of them on the pitch. We were defending loads and I find myself running about whilst the defenders just stand there. I had one run and shot on goal. We were 1-0 down I think by half time. I went in for the second half and our defending was shocking. I let another 4 in, no one was coming back and it was me and the scorer one on one.

Pissed off is not the word as I was expected to front the blame tonight.
Old 23 July 2007, 09:11 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Match 5 report Cup Game: Polar Ford 6-0 Astro Villa

Now this is going to sound silly but I think this has been our best performance so far! We all communicated and actually looked where people were to mark them and set the ball up for each other. I had a run down the wing and got quite far until I got tackled, I made a few blocks and got the ball back myself on a few occasions and past it along. James and Dave both had good runs too and Ben did some good work in defence. They did run us ragged though and we had a lad from Wednesday come down as hes really good. We were 2-0 down by half time, they were both long distance screamers! Second half I played defence and Ben moved forward, I never stopped! I was constantly blocking and clearing the ball out. Ben had a couple of good runs and so did James. I got pushed in to the box and got a fee kick, it was blocked straight away but we managed to get it back out. James had a good attack and I ran along side him but he got tackled and I had to sprint back!

Rich, the lad that stepped in said he couldn't believe how fast it was, I'm glad he said that as it shows we're not actually that bad!

I also had Ben congratulate me on my performance, hes usually the one crying saying hes going to quit!

Hopefully we can follow this in to the league next week.
Old 30 July 2007, 09:31 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Match 6 Report: Apollo 6 3-1 Astro Villa

Things were looking good in the first half, we were all over them and our new lad scored. We are playing a lot better marking the opposition and finding each other on the pitch, plus we had a sub for the first time. I think we all thought it was in the bag. Come the second half they really stepped up their game and they were harder to defend against. They got a goal back and it looked like we would play out for a draw but they got another right near the end.

All in all though our performances are getting a lot better and even though there were a few gloomy faces at the end, it wasn't because we lost it was because we put in a really good performance and deserved a better result for it.
Old 19 November 2007, 11:19 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Not updated but heres some results:

C/M/R 1-0 Astro Villa
GEARFORMUSIC.COM 4-2 Astro Villa
Mikes Monsters 4-0 Astro Villa
Jam Factory 1-0 Astro Villa
Yorwaste 3-0 Astro Villa
FC Burgerr 2-0 Astro Villa
Astro Villa 1-0 CSWS
Astro Villa 0-1 Magnet Allstars - Turned up late they were given goal
Astro Villa 1-4 Apollo 6
C/M/R 0-1 Astro Villa
Astro Villa 2-1 Gear 4 Music
Astro Villa 2-0 Mikes Monsters
Astro Villa 1-0 Magnet Allstars
Old 20 November 2007, 09:19 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Bad start but looks like youre turning things round with 4 wins on the trot well done.
Old 20 November 2007, 04:50 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Last game of the season next week. If we win we stay up. We can even finish 7th.
Old 20 November 2007, 06:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

9 teams in the league then yeah?