Sport General sport discussion

SHOULD ENGLAND QUALIFY FOR EURO 2008

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2007, 09:24 PM
jaya
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHOULD ENGLAND QUALIFY FOR EURO 2008

Im not a big football fan..But i do watch England when playing in World cup and so on..But all i keep hearing on the radio and people talking about how israel need to win so England can qualify..But even if israel do win against Russia,England still need to beat Croatia..But i dont think England deserve to go through to euro 08 this way..if they was not good enough to win their own games,then they shouldnt go through and have to rely on some other team having to win their match in order for England to go through for Euro cup.but then again ,i guess its nothing new for the England football team.
Old 14 November 2007, 09:26 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Well, if England get enough points to qualify, then yes, the should qualify.
However, if they don't then no, the shouldn't. Clear?
Next!
Old 14 November 2007, 09:55 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

as an Englishman... No.. they have played crap.. they as usual rely on other results to help them out..so as much as it hurts.. no.
Old 14 November 2007, 10:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't deserve to go through ...... but, I hope they do!!
Old 14 November 2007, 10:02 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

*gets coat*

*starts running*

then shouts, "I just don't care. It's only football"
Old 14 November 2007, 10:11 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jaya
israel need to win so England can qualify..But even if israel do win against Russia,England still need to beat Croatia..But i dont think England deserve to go through to euro 08 this way..
Dont be silly, its no different to Russia needing to win to guarentee their place in the finals, so theyre also depending on other results if they lose. Thats the idea behind a league, its not over til all games are played.

Anyway, I dont think we deserve to go but it'll be a damn shame if we didnt.
Old 14 November 2007, 10:12 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Its ok chaps, you can shout on the the "Super Scots" this time

Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FOOTBALL!

Trending Topics

Old 14 November 2007, 10:23 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Im not a big football fan..But i do watch England when playing in World cup and so on..But all i keep hearing on the radio and people talking about how israel need to win so England can qualify..But even if israel do win against Russia,England still need to beat Croatia..But i dont think England deserve to go through to euro 08 this way..if they was not good enough to win their own games,then they shouldnt go through and have to rely on some other team having to win their match in order for England to go through for Euro cup.but then again ,i guess its nothing new for the England football team.
Your logic is massively flawed. Try working out how the points and table system works and you'll soon understand that the teams which go through at the end are the ones that deserve to go through.
Old 14 November 2007, 10:30 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Your logic is massively flawed. Try working out how the points and table system works and you'll soon understand that the teams which go through at the end are the ones that deserve to go through.
cobblers, its the ones that get the results,.. not necessarily deserve it..
back page of the 'rags' today.. even the Israel coach wants the Russki's to win..
Old 14 November 2007, 10:39 PM
jaya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
back page of the 'rags' today.. even the Israel coach wants the Russki's to win..
yea but the israel coach is a Russki,so thats probably partly reason why he wants russia to win.even if england do qualify,how well do you really think were gonna do AGAINN...
Old 14 November 2007, 10:52 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Its ok chaps, you can shout on the the "Super Scots" this time
or should we act as scots and go and buy the strip of every club your lot encounter?
Old 14 November 2007, 10:52 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

yea but the israel coach is a Russki,so thats probably partly reason why he wants russia to win.even if england do qualify,how well do you really think were gonna do AGAINN...
exactly right on both counts.. we are overhyped and we need to be given a sharp shock.(the fact that we also need a DECENT coach and might actually get one when we dont qualify next weeek and they sack Macca)
Old 14 November 2007, 10:57 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Who ever manages the team they play crap it can't just be the manager it has to go bit deeper than that. We should play attacking football we have the players to do it and then when we lose the game at least it will be more entertaining.
Old 14 November 2007, 10:59 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Fair play to the scots they have showed that prima donna stars can do nothing without good team work. England had the easiest group and still could not qualify, Scotland had the hardest group and are still in with a chance.
Old 14 November 2007, 11:01 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Everybody plays everybody correct... it's the points gained at the end which determines who deserves to go through based on the RESULTS. The order of the games put other teams in a favourable position at the end but ultimately the table only tends to be relevant after all the teams have played each other. You get that yeah?
Old 14 November 2007, 11:06 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jjones
or should we act as scots and go and buy the strip of every club your lot encounter?
Go for it
Old 14 November 2007, 11:14 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Everybody plays everybody correct... it's the points gained at the end which determines who deserves to go through based on the RESULTS. The order of the games put other teams in a favourable position at the end but ultimately the table only tends to be relevant after all the teams have played each other. You get that yeah?
smart fekker you, ainch'a.... never had a mickey finn? sat at any ground you care to mention, team scores against the run of play and runs out eventual winners of the game 1-0 after defending with eleventy million players on the goal line for the last half hour of the game..??
or ,.. you have Man U. few years back.. european final.. tell me they really 'deserved' that win? really?? how lucky they were with the *usual* four minutes or more of Mun U time.. errrr sorry.. extra time..
Old 14 November 2007, 11:20 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

football is all about results not who deserves or not.
Old 14 November 2007, 11:23 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

smart fekker you, ainch'a.... never had a mickey finn? sat at any ground you care to mention, team scores against the run of play and runs out eventual winners of the game 1-0 after defending with eleventy million players on the goal line for the last half hour of the game..??
or ,.. you have Man U. few years back.. european final.. tell me they really 'deserved' that win? really?? how lucky they were with the *usual* four minutes or more of Mun U time.. errrr sorry.. extra time..
Of course you will have games where it's very debatable who you think were the better team and more deserving of the victory. However most people will agree that over the course of a league system the best teams will prevail. To say England don't deserve to qualify is your opinion but who's to say Russia are any more deserving of qualification? We beat them 3-0 at home and they beat us 2-1 when they were at home. If they beat Israel and then win their final game they will certainly have earned the right to say they deserve it. They may however do as we and many other teams have done and only draw with Israel. For the record I think they'll take their chance but that's just speculation again.

Do Scotland deserve to qualify or do Italy?

As for the United game... well they deserved that win for never giving up and playing until the final whistle. A superb night and one the whole of England can be right proud of!
Old 14 November 2007, 11:32 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

typical response from a ManUre fan , I take it?!?!?!?!

and as for hypertheticals... lets say we 'do' qualify... how far would we get?.. group stages ? struggle through the early knock out stage till we hit the first 'big gun'?
then fall flat on our faces like always? .. tbh, id much rather lose out on going this time, if it secures long term change for the good (restructure the whole fekkin lot )
Old 15 November 2007, 09:10 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

typical response from a ManUre fan , I take it?!?!?!?!

and as for hypertheticals... lets say we 'do' qualify... how far would we get?.. group stages ? struggle through the early knock out stage till we hit the first 'big gun'?
then fall flat on our faces like always? .. tbh, id much rather lose out on going this time, if it secures long term change for the good (restructure the whole fekkin lot )
I'm not sure how you can deduce which team I follow by that post. any football loving English man would have said the same!

Well I cant tell you how far we'll get. Chances are we wouldn't win that's clear but who knows what would happen. It would certainly be a lot less interesting for me with England not playing. I think it's clear to most that there are problems with the England team and even the recent discussions about foreign players shows that. Not qualifying would have two main effects. It would deprive our young players the chance to learn and play at the top levels of international football which helps with their development and the second is we drop down the international ranking thus possibly falling out of the top seeds and making future qualifications harder.

You could also add in the cost to the FA as well if you wished. England not qualifying would have no beneficial effect for the national team at all. Would help the English players who would have a Summer off though.
Old 15 November 2007, 09:13 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL... as much as I hate to say it, United deserved to get as far as the CL final against Bayern, the point about the final game is they ground out a result and won. Lucky buggers yes but the end result won it, Bayern lost concentration and that was their fault.

As for England, who cares if get there and fall at the group stages or against a big gun? For the good of the game we need to make the bigger competitions, do you really want the Scots laughing at us? They sit and laugh when we struggle in the WC which they didnt even make.... National pride and all that.

Anyway, restructuring English football will take longer than the next couple of tournaments...
Old 15 November 2007, 09:34 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

As long as we don;t go through with this ridiculous restriction on foreign players and McClaren gets run out of town at the earliest opportunity I'll be happy.

As for Euro 2008, we aren't going to qualify so it's academic.
Old 16 November 2007, 08:02 AM
Reality
BANNED

Hopefully Scotland will qualify and England wont.

Then we can all get behind anyone playing Scotland and we'll have a chance of winning
Old 16 November 2007, 09:12 AM
Explorer
BANNED

Again the only benefit of non-qualification would be the departure of McClaren
Old 17 November 2007, 10:43 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Ah the CL final 1999 happy memories
Old 18 November 2007, 12:13 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Hopefully Scotland will qualify and England wont.

Then we can all get behind anyone playing Scotland and we'll have a chance of winning

Old 20 November 2007, 08:12 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Fair play to the scots they have showed that prima donna stars can do nothing without good team work. England had the easiest group and still could not qualify, Scotland had the hardest group and are still in with a chance.
Wrong.

Prima donna wins out every time.

France qualifying ahead of a team that beat them home & away !
Old 20 November 2007, 11:05 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Anybody hear Rio on talk sport tonight?

talkSPORT - Live Sports Radio | Live Premier League | Live Scores

It was in response to this article.

England players are just workshy celebrities - Football News - Telegraph

Now in my mind you have to give the bloke credit for phoning up and giving his views. With regards to the bit about his brother that is a poor cheap shot from the author

Quick Reply: SHOULD ENGLAND QUALIFY FOR EURO 2008