Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and also where did u learn??

ciaran
Old 29 June 2003, 11:40 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

I sail one of these (badly, but I've only just bought it) at Port Edgar, South Queensferry

I learnt to sail dinghies at Derwent Water Marina about 7 years ago. There are plenty of places you can learn to sail dependiing on what sort of sailing you're interested in - details on the RYA website.

The only sailing school I'm familiar with in Scotland is Port Edgar - I know a lot of the instructors and they're good people. Facilities are rather basic but they teach more people to sail than any where else in Scotland. It's owned by the Council so is reasonably cheap.

Of course, for a bit more money you can go somewhere warm and learn to sail - Neilson, Sunsail and Minorca Sailing Holidays all teach hoards of people to sail in the Med. And as an embryonic catamaran sailor I have to recommend Wildwind.

Email me (address in profile) if you want any more info.

[NB No connection with any organisation mentioned other than as customer ]

[Edited by GM - 6/29/2003 11:43:47 PM]

[Edited by GM - 6/29/2003 11:46:26 PM]

[Edited by GM - 6/29/2003 11:50:16 PM]

[Edited by GM - 6/29/2003 11:55:14 PM]
Old 30 June 2003, 09:30 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Talking

I can sail a topper
Old 30 June 2003, 06:23 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

RYA course from lymington oohhhhh donkeys years ago was to young to get the certificate though as you had to be 18 for basic crw member.
My claim to fame is that i attended the same sailing club at Anthony Gell School wirksworth as Ellen MacArthur (not at the same time though).
Old 01 July 2003, 09:48 AM
Sennadog 93
Scooby Regular

Yep. Got my Day/Coastal Skipper ticket now and do some racing down on the Solent.

If you're looking to get into it, then I suggest you do a course at one of the RYA training establishments and then pop down to your local reservoir or if you're on the coast join a sailing club.

It's a very sociable sport and plenty of people are looking for crew.

Good luck.
Old 01 July 2003, 12:37 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

You still around Perth area?
I'm a dinghy instructor, & nearly a powerboat instructor but I haven't seen many places around up there. There's a good one just south of Glasgow. Cumbrae, I think it's called. Has a website & is the National Watersports Centre.

Best thing would be to go for a 'taster' session, & see how you like it.
Were you wanting to go in small or large boats? Big boat sailing's a hell of a sport, and I love it, but it can get a bit hard to find people with boats who need a crew. I used to do quite a bit with the Navy, and went all over the place; Denmark, Holland, Northern Isles etc, both racing & cruising.

Give it a shot, & see how you get on. If you've not been before, it can be a bit nasty to begin with, especially learning 'oop narth', but once you get the basic techniques, it gets a whole lot better. Moving into faster boats, bigger sails etc.

Windsurfing's another one. I taught myself last summer, and I can't get enough of it. The speeds you get up to are just ridiculous... Isn't that easy if you're a beginner though. I'd say that sailing was easier to take up from that point of view, as W/S can be annoying if you can't stay on the board....falling off every ten seconds, can't get the sail out of the water etc...worth persisting with though.

Have fun.
C.
Old 08 July 2003, 02:53 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

yes franx perth area nearer to blairgowrie actually.
i learnt a tignabruich on the west cost a few years ago brilliant fun but iv not done much since.
di a wee bit at the adventure centre on raasay about 3 years ago but thats it.

where do u teach exactly?
Old 13 July 2003, 07:10 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

I teach at West Kirby, nr Liverpool at the moment (it being the uni holidays), but I might do a bit up there if I can find somewhere good. There's a place in Loch Inch that I might go to next term - just to get a bit of windsurfing in when the high winds start...
Old 14 July 2003, 01:33 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Yup, me too!!!

Currently having a bit of a break. Learnt topper type thing as a kid...

more recently aussie skiff's (18 foot skiffs) 49er (fast 2man olympic boat), RS600 (nutty trapeze singlehander).

Take (took) it much too seriously Nothing quite like jumping the whole boat out at 20+kts whilst dangling off the side from a bit of string

- Mark.
Old 18 July 2003, 03:59 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

GM - Is that an F18 - Which kind? Sailed a few times in those.

First ever experience in a Miracle. Was a miracle I ever sailed as my Dad capsized us and it took ages to get the boat upright, I was rescused and sent ashore while my mum and dad battled to sort the boat out, was about 6 then

Had a topper, then sailed 420s for years, excellent boat for youngsters, did loads of nationals, then did some dart 18 sailing, did nationals, europeans and worlds (all of which were just holidays and pis5ups) Now sailing J24s in a competetive fleet. All in Poole Harbour.

dinghy/yacht racing is such an enjoyable sport, team work is essential as is boat setup.
Old 18 July 2003, 04:43 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

I think it's a stealth...
Old 18 July 2003, 06:43 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Cool

Give the man a cigar! Yup, it's a Stealth - a little bit smaller than an F18 but it only weighs a little over 100kgs so it's pretty quick (or it would be if I could sail it a bit better )