Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

goin flotilla sailing in greece in two weeks any tips

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2002, 11:22 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to the south ionian islands in two weeks and never been to greece before.
i don't need sailing tips as such (bin doing this since i was ten)
just any local knowledge and or advice on wat to eat drink or not as the case may be.

isnt there a regular on this board from greece wrexy something or other.

any help appreciated

Matt
Old 19 June 2002, 12:00 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Beer is ice-cold, food is only warm and put the bog paper in the bin next to the loo or you'll block the pipes (I kid you not).

Greek salads and tomatoes are superb.

Retsina isn't too bad once you get used to it.

Seafood is pretty good.
Old 19 June 2002, 12:08 AM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know..

I got Retsina when I was there
Old 19 June 2002, 12:42 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

yes i do know the bog paper tip
am a touch worried though about the misses who is now 10 weeks pregnant
and iam concerned about any infections harming the baby so i suppose food and hygiene are my main concern.
I hasten to add that i am not trying to do the greeks down just that we soft north europeans dont have the same built in resistance to meditearnean bugs and nasties that aren't as prevalent in these parts.

cheers for the replies so far im off to beddy byes for now

Matt

[Edited by mattstant - 6/19/2002 12:43:22 AM]
Old 19 June 2002, 07:20 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Dont sink!!!
Old 19 June 2002, 09:33 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

the main one is dont drink the water

I know its a classic, but its not just the chance there may be an infection/bug in it, its that most countries add different stuff to their water to prevent nasties etc, its often this that upsets your stomach

watch for ice cubes (usually made with tap water)

one tip, take a water filter with you if your at all worried, and/or your self catering, weighs sod all in a case, and if you dont want to bring it home just leave it, cost what? £20 nothing for peace of mind

drinking some quinine is good (most tonic waters have this in) but im not 100% sure if pregnant women should avoid it?

avoid the places where food is often kept warm (you know where they have the canteen type of food warmers) and stick to places that will cook when you order

avoid obvious food that has risks attached seafood etc

other than that, IMHO greece is one of the best european countries (other than the bogs) ive never had bad stomach problems there compared to spain, italy, portugal.........

robski
Old 19 June 2002, 10:45 AM
adamp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sailed in the Ionian 3 times and did the South once with some mates about 5 years ago. The area is pretty nice although Levkas is a bit grim. The islands in the centre of that area are beautiful and have some really nice bays that you can just drop anchor in and then have your own private beach all day. I think one of then is called Meganisi.

The main thing to watch for when you're sailing over there is the sun. Being on the boat, in the breeze and over the water the sun absolutely cains you and there is no escape as the sun reflects off the sea, hull, deck and sails. The most tanned I have ever been was on that holiday, but I also got the most burnt. You have to drink loads of water during the day as well otherwise you'll feel rough at night when you should be out drinking.

If you've sailed in the UK, the sailing out there will be easy as there are no tides and the water is warm and clear. The wind tends to get up at about 10 ish for an hour or so and then a lull till about 2 or 3 in the afternoon when it gets up again. Sailing at midday is usually pretty boring as you end up having to run the motor.

Should have a great time, I did.

Cheers

Adam

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2002, 10:56 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Definitely agree with the above about the sun - do as the Aussies do, slip slap slop with the high factors and you will be ok.

If you can get it use Hamilton Sunscreen. Its Australian, but was used by all the staff in the Olympics, and by me in Oz 18 months ago and in Gambia this year and it is the only stuff that has ever stopped me burning (factor 30+ waterproof/sweatproof). And I am an albino that normally turns into a Ribena-berry in the sun !!

Dave
Old 22 June 2002, 11:19 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

As above, but also:

Take a big floppy hat,
Take a snorkel and fins/flippers(delete as appropriate)
Take loads of paperbacks,
Get youself a couple of solar showers, they cost about a fiver each and weigh nothing, gives you a lovely hot foredeck shower each evening.
Don't expect too much in the way of gourmet cuisine, if in doubt, ask one of the local expat yachties, they usually know the best places.

If you get the chance, go to Syvota on Lafkada, http://www.lefkas.net/map%20of%20lefkas.htm it's a lovely little bay with mooring on the town quay and has a triffic little bar on the point where you can sit and get wasted on ice cold Becks whilst watching the Italian poseurs make a mess of mooring their powerboats stern to.

Good nightlife and excellent windsurfing at Vassiliki.

Bon voyage.

Dave