Notices

Website telling ue where Police Patrols are operating???

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2002, 05:07 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Quote from today’s Aberdeenshire "The Press & Journal" 18/06/02, page 3.

High-visibility stripes for speed cameras.

"Motorists are seeing red, and yellow, with a new scheme to make speed cameras more visible. But North East drivers are unlikely to be angry, as a make over for the regions cameras means they will stand out like never before. They have been painted with red and yellow stripes after a Government ruling that speed cameras must not be hidden. All 27 have been painted as part of a safety blitz on North East roads"

"Police are conducting a huge survey to highlight danger roads in the areas. They plan to introduce a traffic colour-code system for accident black spots. Red will signify roads where fatalities and serious injuries have happened in the past. Amber will indicate a history of less serious accidents and green will show potential risks at areas, such as schools and medical centres. The identified red roads and currently being targeted with mobile and fixed cameras"

Get this bit....

"A website will also be set up for motorists to find out where mobile patrols will be operating at any given time. Users can also find out the location of speed cameras on the website. The North East Safety Camera Partnership, headed by Inspector Brian Shanks and features Grampian Police, Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Councils, set up the plan"

End of quote.

Now I called Grampian Police Traffic Dept, mentioned the article, and asked about the web site mentioned. It would appear they know nothing about a web site at this time. Anybody out there heard of this website yet?

Jools.

Old 18 June 2002, 05:40 PM
JohnS

There is some mention of it at Grampian Police's website:

http://www.grampian.police.uk/

John
Old 18 June 2002, 06:12 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good shout John. Will check it out.

Does it say any thing abot the Cairn O Mount road on Thursday...after lunch time!

Also I'm heading up North tomorrow in the P1 for a day visit...
Old 18 June 2002, 09:22 PM
JohnS

Wink

Aye Jools it does. It says there will be no less than 37 mobile speed traps between Banchory and Fettercairn that day, and one hundred and six Volvo T5's patrolling the road
Old 18 June 2002, 09:30 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

"one hundred and six Volvo T5's "

lol
Old 18 June 2002, 09:48 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Wink

...and I bet Tut won't see a single damn one of them John!
Old 19 June 2002, 04:37 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Lothian & Borders Police also list locations on their website:

http://www.lbp.police.uk/roadsafety/...ion/CAMERA.htm

I think Fife do the same too.

Mark
Old 19 June 2002, 11:02 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

Getting the hang of them now Jools.

Did some work on the car yesterday, but found that I was getting a vibration from the undertray. Took it out onto the Fraserburgh road to check it out, and found out that it was just at 2000rpm, in all of the gears. This of course meant that I was kangerooing up the road, but at low speed. Looked up to see a T5 behind me, doing the same thing. He must have thought that I was pissed.

Could not be bothered explaining, so took off down a bendy side road that I know backwards, and took the backroads home.

tut
Old 20 June 2002, 10:17 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Tut,
Went up North yesterday to visit my old Grandmother in Helmsdale. Left Inverurie at 5am yesterday morning in the P1 and had a tremendous run up the road.
Out over the Black Isle and turned off on to our favourite "Up North Road"; over the "Struie". Just had black tar laid on it, with no road markings, so felt just like a track. Had big big smile and was thinking of you; you would have loved the drive! Came home that way...and was back by 3.30pm.

More info; My neighbour has just done his advanced driving and several of them were presented with there certificates by Inspector Brian Shanks (Head of Trafic Police) He gave a presentation, which explained that all the speed cameras in Grampian region are set at the respective speed limit, + 10%, +2.
Also explained that 4 cars now have video equipment fitted and the red roads (mentioned at the start of this thread) which are being targeted right now are the Aberdeen to Stonehaven road South, the Aberdeen to Fraserbrough road North and Inverurie to Huntley over the Glens. The Aberdeen to Inverurie road is not seen as a threat, due to road design with all the blasted roundabouts. Police seem to know that people nip on a bit on it, but with no side roads and no crossing lanes, it is turning out to be one of the safest stretches of road in the UK. The only fatality on it happened when a woman ran into the back of a JCB digger on the Blackburn bypass, just after it was opened and apparently speed was not a contributing factor in that accident.

He warned that there is now a big push on catching speeders who consciously speed. They are going to target know speed camera areas and set up mobile patrols and/or mobile cameras just before/after the fixed sites with the intention of catching these conscious speeders. It was obvious by his tone that they have real hard on for this type of speeder and there will be zero tolerance for the ones that stomp on the brakes prior to the fixed site, pass through the white markers and then take off again. The innocent speeder who has let their speed creep up with out realising, will get a warning and be shown the video in an effort to change behaviour, rather than nail them first time. This will only happen if you are a first time speeder. The fact that the cameras are now brightly painted only adds to this argument about what the Police brand as the "conscious speeder".

Getting a bit spooky now, soon they’ll have an eye in the sky!

Old 20 June 2002, 09:38 PM
SG
Scooby Regular

Cool

"The innocent speeder who has let their speed creep up with out realising,"

Thats us surely.