Sponsored by:

90% decided on buying an impreza

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2014, 01:48 PM
draper
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90% decided on buying an impreza

but where can I go for a 'proper' test drive ?

I've always wanted a classic impreza and now I'm in a position to have one as a second car/toy (well I will be in 6weeks when I get my next year of NCB) I've never actually driven one on the road tho - I've had a go of a modified one on track a good 10years ago and a few passenger rides. I'd hate to spend £4k and not like it.

I'd also always wrote off an import due to excess premiums, repair costs and the horror stories but insurance is actually not all that bad, repair costs are negligible since it's a toy and repairs/upgrades can be done as and when I can afford it to be done properly.

I really need to get behind the wheel of a few uk cars and a few imports so I can compare them but where ? I don't like the idea of tyre kicking a private sale in the name of 'research' but is a dealer going to let a potential customer give the car a good going over ?
Old 01 February 2014, 02:05 PM
JBUK
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by draper
but where can I go for a 'proper' test drive ?

I've always wanted a classic impreza and now I'm in a position to have one as a second car/toy (well I will be in 6weeks when I get my next year of NCB) I've never actually driven one on the road tho - I've had a go of a modified one on track a good 10years ago and a few passenger rides. I'd hate to spend £4k and not like it.

I'd also always wrote off an import due to excess premiums, repair costs and the horror stories but insurance is actually not all that bad, repair costs are negligible since it's a toy and repairs/upgrades can be done as and when I can afford it to be done properly.

I really need to get behind the wheel of a few uk cars and a few imports so I can compare them but where ? I don't like the idea of tyre kicking a private sale in the name of 'research' but is a dealer going to let a potential customer give the car a good going over ?
I've never been refused a test drive and usually get encouraged to drive it fast, my last 2 cars were from main dealers!

You do know that you can't use your NCB on 2 cars don't you? I.e. Your second car will need a brand new policy with your NCB starting from scratch.
Old 01 February 2014, 02:08 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Hi mate. Firstly fair play for not tyre kicking just to drive one, but unfortunatly unless someone local to you lets you take a drive in their car there's no other real way. If the car is a weekend toy etc and the insurance is ok then get an import or a very well specced uk car.
Old 01 February 2014, 02:09 PM
draper
Scooby Newbie

Yes I know, my no claims will be used on the scooby and I have a years NCD on my current 2nd policy that will be used on my daily
Old 01 February 2014, 02:11 PM
draper
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by imprezaworks
Hi mate. Firstly fair play for not tyre kicking just to drive one, but unfortunatly unless someone local to you lets you take a drive in their car there's no other real way. If the car is a weekend toy etc and the insurance is ok then get an import or a very well specced uk car.
Cheers buddy, just doesn't seem fair and I'd be severely pissed off if someone did it to me, there's a few uk turbos at dealers localish so I'll try them first

Yeah I think it's going to be an import unless an extremely good uk car came up f/s
Old 01 February 2014, 02:34 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

It may be worth trying to attend a 'meet' if one comes up by you, have a proper chat with a few owners and get a feel for what would be best for you. My only piece of advice is get the best for your budget wether it be a uk or import. These cars with being how old they are can be a money pit . The fact you wont be using it much is a bonus imo as if i had to use mine more than i do (circa 7k a year) i couldnt financialy justify the running costs etc.
Old 01 February 2014, 03:05 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by imprezaworks
It may be worth trying to attend a 'meet' if one comes up by you, have a proper chat with a few owners and get a feel for what would be best for you. My only piece of advice is get the best for your budget wether it be a uk or import. These cars with being how old they are can be a money pit . The fact you wont be using it much is a bonus imo as if i had to use mine more than i do (circa 7k a year) i couldnt financialy justify the running costs etc.
+1 Good advice.SJ.
Old 02 February 2014, 12:38 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

I was looking into an Impreza as a 3rd car and while enquiring I found some insurance companies will mirror your NCB if you have 2 policies with them. For instance I had 9yrs NCB on my Vectra, Admiral said if I went with them for the Vectra they would also give me 9NCB on another policy for the Scoob if they were both in my name. I know a few others this has worked for too.