I need a Subaru in my life

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2014, 05:51 PM
Koose
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a Subaru in my life

Hi guys

Im so sorry if this is in the wrong section, i dont use forums as much as i used to.

Ive always admired the Impreza over the years and having had most Jap Exotica like Evo 3rs (670hp) Evo 6, R32 GTR, MR2 Turbo, RX7 anyway i wont bore you. Im just smitten with a classic shape Type R or P1.

Any info on what to look out for, and which version is best, my budget is 9k for the car and 5 k for initial modifications.

A good friend of mine said this forum was full of highly knowledgable folks who'd be abkle to point an old man like me in the right direction. Maybe the Type R isnt the right one for me? Im after something that scares the bejesus out of me whenever it beckons me inside its door, has scope for modification. Number of doors doesnt matter.

Many thanks for having me,

Mark
Old 31 January 2014, 06:49 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark and welcome, that's an impressive former car list you have there!!

Given your past cars your clearly a performance man and with that in mind I'd forget the P1, they're great cars out the box for UK roads, but ultimately it's just a less hardcore type R with less toys. On top of this type R's are generally cheaper which is a bonus really.

Your budget is very healthy for a type R and will get you in an version you desire. In regards to which version is best, I'm sure type R owners can help more here, but ultimately your best to buy on condition, a good type R is a serious car whether it's V3 or V6.

For your final question, yep you wan't a type R lol, it's the most rear biased of the Impreza's in terms of drive (and of course has DCCD), and they're known to be somewhat on the scary side if you don't show them respect.

Things to look out for, Type R's were imports only, and therefore designed to run on their higher octane fuel, cars which were not remapped for UK fuel combined with them being a car most buy to drive hard means a lot will have had rebuilds by now, which is no bad thing but it's worth knowing what parts to look out for and making sure you carefully check any receipts to ensure everything matches up.

Other than that and the usual checks for rust and making sure the DCCD works correctly I understand they're a pretty robust car, but again I'm sure some type R owners will be able to give a better view on this.

As for future tuning, there's enough available on these cars for only the completely insane to get bored, the skys the limit really, power wise a 6 speed box and either a forged 2.5 or built 2.1 will give the means to chase 500-600bhp no problem.

And lastly, here's a car for you, being sold by a scoobynet member, a nice state of tune already, under budget, and only in Colchester so not too far :-)

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...onic-blue.html
Old 31 January 2014, 07:01 PM
Koose
Scooby Newbie

Hi there,

Thank you ever so much for the kind words(I also had the fastest FWD car in the UK at one point, a 570hp ....Rover of all things), and especially for all the helpful advice!! The car you pointed out looks just my sort of thing, so lets see what happens, still any more advice would be great!

If i do swap to a 6 speed, do i still have DCCD ?

Mark
Old 31 January 2014, 07:01 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...onic-blue.html[/QUOTE]

Get it bought, sharpish.
Old 31 January 2014, 07:43 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Koose
Hi there,

Thank you ever so much for the kind words(I also had the fastest FWD car in the UK at one point, a 570hp ....Rover of all things), and especially for all the helpful advice!! The car you pointed out looks just my sort of thing, so lets see what happens, still any more advice would be great!

If i do swap to a 6 speed, do i still have DCCD ?

Mark
yep you can get 6 speeds in DCCD or not and certain versions have different ratio's so you can pick a box to match your needs, though some can be a little hard to find!

The cross over point from 5-6 speed is probably around 350-400bhp, 5 speeds don't seem to last long above this and some go at a lot less, but it seems the torque is the killer rather than the outright power.

570bhp rover sounds interesting!! Feel free to stick a post up in the members gallery with pics of your previous motors if you have them/have time, you'll find a lot of us are just fans of cars in general so I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see some pics!
Old 31 January 2014, 10:09 PM
Koose
Scooby Newbie

OK, just posted a thread for you to have a look at, hopefully it wont offend anyone!

Oh , the Rover was a typo, it was 470 plus gas. Not 570

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...l#post11340433

Many thanks again

Mark
Old 31 January 2014, 11:20 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

excellent I'll have a look, and I'm sure it wont!

Here's another good Type R, this is basically the sort of ad you want to see, ticks all the boxes for me, the seller obviously knows these cars, the mods are all good quality parts as are the fluids he's been using etc. Could be a bargain also...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Subar...item4d17a163b9
Old 02 February 2014, 03:10 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

Mate, if you go with DCCD which I highly recommend, you can look into a good aftermarket controller. Check out my post:
https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...-question.html
I went with dccdpro universal and it is great so far. I wanted to pm you but thought others might benefit from this post.