Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY2010 JDM STi Spec-C Hatch...any exist in the UK?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2013, 06:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default MY2010 JDM STi Spec-C Hatch...any exist in the UK?

I've been having a nosey for new cars...that's on my list. Well it would be if there were any.

Not even Litchfields have any in stock (and I ain't paying £30K for one either).

Are they really that rare?

Seems that I'm looking for cars that don't exist again: Like the 135M X-drive, and the RS3 3 door manual.
Old 01 December 2013, 06:43 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact Prodrive they'll put you in touch with someone who has one.

There are a handful over here, nice cars they are too.
Old 01 December 2013, 07:14 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not quite what you're after: https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...leage-fsh.html

But a cracking car (I'm slightly biased though!) My neighbour had a hatch but is now back in a 2012 Saloon Sti Pro R. He prefers the saloon.
Old 01 December 2013, 07:16 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

The actual one was on this video was for sale few months back £23,000 was tempted but it was used as a press car that put me off it.
Old 01 December 2013, 08:13 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Brave Auto International, they can bring one over from Japan for you at quite competitive prices. Or Jurgen at Jm imorts.
Old 01 December 2013, 08:33 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Like the 135M X-drive, and the RS3 3 door manual.
If you want something with RS3 performance and a manual box you should look at the Cosworth. But it'll come with a similar price tag!
Old 01 December 2013, 10:10 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I drive a m135i for work and I love it, tho the rear tyres don't seem to last since I found the launch control setting, we have a 120d xdrive and that's brilliant, wasn't aware they did the 135i xdrive in England, I'm waiting for the 435i xdrive,
Old 01 December 2013, 10:20 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

didnt Juggers import some brand new late registered twin scroll sti hatches a couple of years back

not a spec c but great/rare car all the same
Old 01 December 2013, 10:39 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Yeah he got hold of a white Spec C and imported an R205, he still has that and has put it up for sale a couple of times, could be tempted to part with it for Cosworth money maybe?
Old 01 December 2013, 11:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by blackvenom
wasn't aware they did the 135i xdrive in England, I'm waiting for the 435i xdrive,
No they don't, but they do in the rest of Europe and the US! I'm pretty narked about it as I want a AWD hatchback with a true manual gearbox.

Ian: Once you go hatch you don't go back. Well thats now the case for me as I've sold my estate car and still need something that'll cart around mowers in the boot, as well as the odd v8 engine block and Jaguar IRS subframe. OK, maybe I shouldn't be using a Spec C as a van, but I already do that with a R32...and the leather is wipe-clean so it cleans up ok (rubber boot liner helps ).

Cheers for the importers Rickya, its been a long time since I've last looked so forgot most of their names ....currently I'm having a long search on goo-net.com and trying fathom how much it cost to get one on the road back in the UK.
Old 02 December 2013, 02:59 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold a couple, I can contact the owners and see if they are selling up can you pm your budget Ai
Old 02 December 2013, 03:01 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Yeah he got hold of a white Spec C and imported an R205, he still has that and has put it up for sale a couple of times, could be tempted to part with it for Cosworth money maybe?
I am thinking of 2.3 stroker kit for the R205 if it don't sell. Pricing up some bits and need to find a ej22 block hehe

Immy
Old 02 December 2013, 08:43 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
I am thinking of 2.3 stroker kit for the R205 if it don't sell. Pricing up some bits and need to find a ej22 block hehe

Immy
Old 03 December 2013, 01:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I sold a couple, I can contact the owners and see if they are selling up can you pm your budget Ai

I was thinking of about £17K, but to be honest seeing there are so few about on UK soil, I haven't clue if thats a sensible figure .
Old 03 December 2013, 01:22 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

I enquired with Prodrive in September 2012 and was put in touch with a seller at £22k with 3k on the clock.
Old 03 December 2013, 06:19 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I was thinking of about £17K, but to be honest seeing there are so few about on UK soil, I haven't clue if thats a sensible figure .
Think you'll struggle at that money tbh honest Ali perhaps 21-23k.
Why not got go for a UK hatch and throw some money at it?
Old 04 December 2013, 12:11 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well that was the original idea, then I thought why not buy something that's already got the right engine and turbo fitted as standard (amongst the other JDM bits...rear LSD, seats etc).

I think I may have re-do my sums

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 December 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04 December 2013, 12:48 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

20k is a lot of coin for an Impreza.
Old 04 December 2013, 02:01 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
20k is a lot of coin for an Impreza.
It's also what people are paying for Pug 208 GTis.

Makes the JDM Impreza look a bargain to me
Old 10 December 2013, 11:14 PM
kennyc
Scooby Regular

Would love a hatch spec c. Very rare must be only about 5 in the UK
Old 11 December 2013, 02:55 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Immy
Immy - You're mad if you do that on that car imo.

Not ONCE have I thought in over 3yrs (since buying the current car) "You know what, I need to rip this engine out and go for 500+bhp at a cost of £10k+". Been there and done it....... it seriously isn't worth it mate for a road car (I'm assuming it's still remaining a road car).
Old 11 December 2013, 03:29 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

+1 what Shaun has said Immy, anything more than filter/exhaust/remap would be madness (see sin) in a R205!

Especially if you want to sell it I'd leave it standard as it appeals to more people.
Old 12 December 2013, 04:28 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Trust you guys to bring me back down to earth....I have had a brand-new set of Ohlins set there for the best part of a year.......was thinking of throwing them on and perhaps going for the Chevron TMIC and going for a slightly bigger turbo....or is that a no no to?
Old 12 December 2013, 07:34 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Trust you guys to bring me back down to earth....I have had a brand-new set of Ohlins set there for the best part of a year.......was thinking of throwing them on and perhaps going for the Chevron TMIC and going for a slightly bigger turbo....or is that a no no to?
It's a big Noooooo Immy. You have a special one off car there. Keep it as it is, enjoy it and you know the residuals will be strong for the future in standard form.

If you want to play and go for big power there are loads of more sensible starting points.

Consider yourself told
Old 12 December 2013, 09:23 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickp
It's a big Noooooo Immy. You have a special one off car there. Keep it as it is, enjoy it and you know the residuals will be strong for the future in standard form.

If you want to play and go for big power there are loads of more sensible starting points.

Consider yourself told
Disagree.

A sensible mod for any car is a custom remap, especially a blueprinted one with a forged engine.

Bolt on parts such as turbos and intercoolers can be reversed in a couple of hours with a spanner.

Provided you have all the original bits in a box I don't see what the problem is.

(from someone who has a modified limited edition with all the OEM bits in a box).
Old 12 December 2013, 09:57 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Guys, listen to the advice of others (e.g. Shaun, Cannon_Fodder etc.) who've been there and done that.

The chase for more power doesn't lead anywhere and only burns your pocket.

For a road car you want mid-range torque, afterall the fun is on the bends not on absolute bhp numbers unless it is a dragster.

I'll get my coat now.

Immy, you need to drive the car more and leave it as it is

>thenewgalaxy: the problem with that is that if you exceed a certain limit you risk the reliability of the car and for such a rare and great car out of the box I don't see the point in upgrading the turbo/intercooler etc.

As others have said, if you want big power get a standard STi and mod that instead.

Your car is different as it came like that out of the box, the modifications you have done are subtle and welcome.

Changing turbos, intercoolers etc. goes far beyond and may ruin the character of the car IMHO.

Last edited by fpan; 12 December 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12 December 2013, 12:15 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

I don't disagree with much of what's written above, I especially agree that a 2.35 would be a waste of a blueprinted engine unless it was replaced with a new unit.

But that R205 could run 450bhp+ all day long at high boost, bumping the power up won't have much effect on the long term reliability.

In a day and age where the German saloons pumping out 400bhp are two a penny, the average Impreza driver is getting left behind.

I understand the argument about enjoying the bends and all that but bumping up the power with some bolt on mods and a remap is not going to destroy the character of the car unless done badly. If anything adding a better turbo and remapping can improve the character with a wider spread of torque and power through the range. And also give it the edge against an ever improving field.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples' views and even that of some of the tuners with this.

Edit - my feeling is that a Spec C hatch or even a boggo UK hatch would be a better place to start if going for a mega power build, but it'd be one hell of a money pit.

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 12 December 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12 December 2013, 12:50 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Immy,
Everything needs to be put in to context imo.

FWIW:

* Leave the suspension standard (as is) unless it needs replacing (mechanical breakdown). I still have the OEM suspension on mine.... it's great. I will never move to coilovers again unless I really have to.

* Engine wise - leave as is for road use.

* Turbo - I don't know enough about your turbo to know if it has any more left in it (it should do!).

* Cooling - If you have a shedload of cash, go for something like the Chevron unit, or go for a FMIC - if this element of your set-up is causing tuning restrictions, this should give you the possibility of achieving around 450bhp on VPower.

* Injectors - Don't know what you have currently.

* Remap - to suit the above, but because of your ECU I would look at utilising all three map spaces. 1) VPower low boost (for track use - remember this is a standard engine!), 2) VPower high boost (450bhp say) & 3) 20% Meth (490bhp say).

Based on what you already have, I would personally go the FMIC route and see how you get on with a remap on your current turbo. Re-assess afterwards.

I do not regret one single element (I couldn't say the same for what happened to the SPEC C!) of what I have done to my JDM Hawkeye. It drives great and is more than quick enough. The only thing that has broken in over 3.5yrs (10k miles) has been one droplink!

It don't smoke, doesn't consume any oil and purrs like a kitten! Remember this car is at 490bhp on Methanol!

Most importantly, the only thing I have to check (although once you've owned a built engine, you always tend to check your oil regardless of what engine you have now lol) is I have enough fuel! Don't EVER take that for granted.
Old 12 December 2013, 01:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

So say if I upped the budget to £20K what kind of Spec C (hatch )would that get me..i.e age, mileage, condition etc. ?

And say if I picked up a UK WRX hatch for say, £12K, what would I be looked at to spend to get it to Spec-C levels - turbo, diff, engine mods. Suspension, brakes etc.

Have to say I have my heart set on something with a twin scroll that spools up at nice and low rpm - and Recaro buckets
Old 12 December 2013, 02:28 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

I don't think Spec C hatchbacks come with Recaro buckets (have never seen one with them) unless it is an optional extra.

Modifying a UK WRX hatch to Spec C levels would be money thrown down the drain IMHO as the car wouldn't hold its value.

You may be spending more for a SPec C in the first place but the rarity of them would hopefully mean they hold their value better.

Last edited by fpan; 12 December 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: MY2010 JDM STi Spec-C Hatch...any exist in the UK?