ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY2010 JDM STi Spec-C Hatch...any exist in the UK? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/991447-my2010-jdm-sti-spec-c-hatch-any-exist-in-the-uk.html)

ALi-B 01 December 2013 06:35 PM

MY2010 JDM STi Spec-C Hatch...any exist in the UK?

I've been having a nosey for new cars...that's on my list. Well it would be if there were any.

Not even Litchfields have any in stock (and I ain't paying £30K for one either).

Are they really that rare?

Seems that I'm looking for cars that don't exist again: Like the 135M X-drive, and the RS3 3 door manual. :rolleyes:

thenewgalaxy 01 December 2013 06:43 PM

Contact Prodrive they'll put you in touch with someone who has one.

There are a handful over here, nice cars they are too.

IanK Spec C 01 December 2013 07:14 PM

Not quite what you're after: https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...leage-fsh.html

But a cracking car (I'm slightly biased though!) My neighbour had a hatch but is now back in a 2012 Saloon Sti Pro R. He prefers the saloon.

daviee 01 December 2013 07:16 PM

The actual one was on this video was for sale few months back £23,000 was tempted but it was used as a press car that put me off it.

rickya 01 December 2013 08:13 PM

Contact Brave Auto International, they can bring one over from Japan for you at quite competitive prices. Or Jurgen at Jm imorts.

thenewgalaxy 01 December 2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11281181)
Like the 135M X-drive, and the RS3 3 door manual. :rolleyes:

If you want something with RS3 performance and a manual box you should look at the Cosworth. But it'll come with a similar price tag!

blackvenom 01 December 2013 10:10 PM

I drive a m135i for work and I love it, tho the rear tyres don't seem to last since I found the launch control setting, we have a 120d xdrive and that's brilliant, wasn't aware they did the 135i xdrive in England, I'm waiting for the 435i xdrive,

LUCKO 01 December 2013 10:20 PM

didnt Juggers import some brand new late registered twin scroll sti hatches a couple of years back

not a spec c but great/rare car all the same

thenewgalaxy 01 December 2013 10:39 PM

Yeah he got hold of a white Spec C and imported an R205, he still has that and has put it up for sale a couple of times, could be tempted to part with it for Cosworth money maybe?

ALi-B 01 December 2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by blackvenom (Post 11281419)
wasn't aware they did the 135i xdrive in England, I'm waiting for the 435i xdrive,

No they don't, but they do in the rest of Europe and the US! :mad: I'm pretty narked about it as I want a AWD hatchback with a true manual gearbox.

Ian: Once you go hatch you don't go back. :D Well thats now the case for me as I've sold my estate car and still need something that'll cart around mowers in the boot, as well as the odd v8 engine block and Jaguar IRS subframe. :lol1: OK, maybe I shouldn't be using a Spec C as a van, but I already do that with a R32...and the leather is wipe-clean so it cleans up ok (rubber boot liner helps :) ).

Cheers for the importers Rickya, its been a long time since I've last looked so forgot most of their names :o....currently I'm having a long search on goo-net.com and trying fathom how much it cost to get one on the road back in the UK.

juggers 02 December 2013 02:59 PM

I sold a couple, I can contact the owners and see if they are selling up can you pm your budget Ai :)

juggers 02 December 2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy (Post 11281452)
Yeah he got hold of a white Spec C and imported an R205, he still has that and has put it up for sale a couple of times, could be tempted to part with it for Cosworth money maybe?

I am thinking of 2.3 stroker kit for the R205 if it don't sell. Pricing up some bits and need to find a ej22 block hehe ;)

Immy

scoobyboy1 02 December 2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 11281884)
I am thinking of 2.3 stroker kit for the R205 if it don't sell. Pricing up some bits and need to find a ej22 block hehe ;)

Immy

:notworthy

ALi-B 03 December 2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 11281879)
I sold a couple, I can contact the owners and see if they are selling up can you pm your budget Ai :)

I was thinking of about £17K, but to be honest seeing there are so few about on UK soil, I haven't clue if thats a sensible figure :wonder:.

thenewgalaxy 03 December 2013 01:22 PM

I enquired with Prodrive in September 2012 and was put in touch with a seller at £22k with 3k on the clock.

juggers 03 December 2013 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11282765)
I was thinking of about £17K, but to be honest seeing there are so few about on UK soil, I haven't clue if thats a sensible figure :wonder:.

Think you'll struggle at that money tbh honest Ali perhaps 21-23k.
Why not got go for a UK hatch and throw some money at it?

ALi-B 04 December 2013 12:11 AM

Well that was the original idea, then I thought why not buy something that's already got the right engine and turbo fitted as standard (amongst the other JDM bits...rear LSD, seats etc).

I think I may have re-do my sums :wonder:

tony de wonderful 04 December 2013 12:48 AM

20k is a lot of coin for an Impreza.

thenewgalaxy 04 December 2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11283300)
20k is a lot of coin for an Impreza.

It's also what people are paying for Pug 208 GTis.

Makes the JDM Impreza look a bargain to me :thumb:

kennyc 10 December 2013 11:14 PM

Would love a hatch spec c. Very rare must be only about 5 in the UK

Shaun 11 December 2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 11281884)

Immy

Immy - You're mad if you do that on that car imo.

Not ONCE have I thought in over 3yrs (since buying the current car) "You know what, I need to rip this engine out and go for 500+bhp at a cost of £10k+". Been there and done it....... it seriously isn't worth it mate for a road car (I'm assuming it's still remaining a road car).

fpan 11 December 2013 03:29 PM

+1 what Shaun has said Immy, anything more than filter/exhaust/remap would be madness (see sin) in a R205!

Especially if you want to sell it I'd leave it standard as it appeals to more people.

juggers 12 December 2013 04:28 AM

Trust you guys to bring me back down to earth....I have had a brand-new set of Ohlins set there for the best part of a year.......was thinking of throwing them on and perhaps going for the Chevron TMIC and going for a slightly bigger turbo....or is that a no no to?

mickp 12 December 2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 11290375)
Trust you guys to bring me back down to earth....I have had a brand-new set of Ohlins set there for the best part of a year.......was thinking of throwing them on and perhaps going for the Chevron TMIC and going for a slightly bigger turbo....or is that a no no to?

It's a big Noooooo Immy. You have a special one off car there. Keep it as it is, enjoy it and you know the residuals will be strong for the future in standard form.

If you want to play and go for big power there are loads of more sensible starting points.

Consider yourself told :nono:;):lol1:

thenewgalaxy 12 December 2013 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mickp (Post 11290397)
It's a big Noooooo Immy. You have a special one off car there. Keep it as it is, enjoy it and you know the residuals will be strong for the future in standard form.

If you want to play and go for big power there are loads of more sensible starting points.

Consider yourself told :nono:;):lol1:

Disagree.

A sensible mod for any car is a custom remap, especially a blueprinted one with a forged engine.

Bolt on parts such as turbos and intercoolers can be reversed in a couple of hours with a spanner.

Provided you have all the original bits in a box I don't see what the problem is.

(from someone who has a modified limited edition with all the OEM bits in a box).

fpan 12 December 2013 09:57 AM

Guys, listen to the advice of others (e.g. Shaun, Cannon_Fodder etc.) who've been there and done that.

The chase for more power doesn't lead anywhere and only burns your pocket.

For a road car you want mid-range torque, afterall the fun is on the bends not on absolute bhp numbers unless it is a dragster.

I'll get my coat now.

Immy, you need to drive the car more and leave it as it is :thumb:

>thenewgalaxy: the problem with that is that if you exceed a certain limit you risk the reliability of the car and for such a rare and great car out of the box I don't see the point in upgrading the turbo/intercooler etc.

As others have said, if you want big power get a standard STi and mod that instead.

Your car is different as it came like that out of the box, the modifications you have done are subtle and welcome.

Changing turbos, intercoolers etc. goes far beyond and may ruin the character of the car IMHO.

thenewgalaxy 12 December 2013 12:15 PM

I don't disagree with much of what's written above, I especially agree that a 2.35 would be a waste of a blueprinted engine unless it was replaced with a new unit.

But that R205 could run 450bhp+ all day long at high boost, bumping the power up won't have much effect on the long term reliability.

In a day and age where the German saloons pumping out 400bhp are two a penny, the average Impreza driver is getting left behind.

I understand the argument about enjoying the bends and all that but bumping up the power with some bolt on mods and a remap is not going to destroy the character of the car unless done badly. If anything adding a better turbo and remapping can improve the character with a wider spread of torque and power through the range. And also give it the edge against an ever improving field.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples' views and even that of some of the tuners with this.

Edit - my feeling is that a Spec C hatch or even a boggo UK hatch would be a better place to start if going for a mega power build, but it'd be one hell of a money pit.

Shaun 12 December 2013 12:50 PM

Immy,
Everything needs to be put in to context imo.

FWIW:

* Leave the suspension standard (as is) unless it needs replacing (mechanical breakdown). I still have the OEM suspension on mine.... it's great. I will never move to coilovers again unless I really have to.

* Engine wise - leave as is for road use.

* Turbo - I don't know enough about your turbo to know if it has any more left in it (it should do!).

* Cooling - If you have a shedload of cash, go for something like the Chevron unit, or go for a FMIC - if this element of your set-up is causing tuning restrictions, this should give you the possibility of achieving around 450bhp on VPower.

* Injectors - Don't know what you have currently.

* Remap - to suit the above, but because of your ECU I would look at utilising all three map spaces. 1) VPower low boost (for track use - remember this is a standard engine!), 2) VPower high boost (450bhp say) & 3) 20% Meth (490bhp say).

Based on what you already have, I would personally go the FMIC route and see how you get on with a remap on your current turbo. Re-assess afterwards.

I do not regret one single element (I couldn't say the same for what happened to the SPEC C!) of what I have done to my JDM Hawkeye. It drives great and is more than quick enough. The only thing that has broken in over 3.5yrs (10k miles) has been one droplink!

It don't smoke, doesn't consume any oil and purrs like a kitten! Remember this car is at 490bhp on Methanol!

Most importantly, the only thing I have to check (although once you've owned a built engine, you always tend to check your oil regardless of what engine you have now lol) is I have enough fuel! Don't EVER take that for granted. ;)

ALi-B 12 December 2013 01:56 PM

So say if I upped the budget to £20K what kind of Spec C (hatch ;) )would that get me..i.e age, mileage, condition etc. ?

And say if I picked up a UK WRX hatch for say, £12K, what would I be looked at to spend to get it to Spec-C levels - turbo, diff, engine mods. Suspension, brakes etc.

Have to say I have my heart set on something with a twin scroll that spools up at nice and low rpm - and Recaro buckets :D

fpan 12 December 2013 02:28 PM

I don't think Spec C hatchbacks come with Recaro buckets (have never seen one with them) unless it is an optional extra.

Modifying a UK WRX hatch to Spec C levels would be money thrown down the drain IMHO as the car wouldn't hold its value.

You may be spending more for a SPec C in the first place but the rarity of them would hopefully mean they hold their value better.