Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know this car - ST10UDV (Dundee are)

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2013, 01:39 PM
richardwilson777
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know this car - ST10UDV (Dundee are)

Hi

Having owned a few Classic impreza's before I've nearly decided to buy another one.

ST10 UDV is the reg (red) its an STI with PPP. I've found out that the Subaru Dealership in Dundee has put a new Short Engine in it even though it had only done 13000 miles.

So a couple of questions. Does anyone know ST10 UDV?

If the Subaru Dealership fitted a Short Engine 2800 miles ago is that a guarantee that the normal 2.5 engine worries are fixed or do Subaru just put the same old stuff back in?

Have put a deposit down on the car but would like to be sure about the Short Engine before going further???
Old 05 August 2013, 01:47 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually it is same old tosh put back in unless the dealer or owner specify (and usually foot the bill for) something above and beyond standard.

The car will be under warranty from a main dealer and you may wish to seek further assurances from them about it.

Three choices really

1. Ask for a refund and state your beef with the known unreliability of the engines

2. Go for it safe in the knowledge that any failure will be sorted

3. Go for it and foot the bill for forging it at a later date; the 2.5 is a brilliant unit when not made from chocolate
Old 05 August 2013, 03:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short engine = same old crap put back in.

Warranty = useless, Subaru have basically had it in the UK, their warranties may as well be printed on toilet paper as it has more use.

2.5ltr engine = avoid unless you have money to throw at it and get it forged with decent internal parts.

Basically this 2.5ltr was never a good engine, no matter what anyone says, its flawed (badly), you can pin it and liner it and its still not going to be perfect, a close deck conversion will strengthen it but we will never see the latest 2.5ltr engine over here in an STI because they dont import them any more, Subaru (or to be more precise) I.M. have basically had it in the UK
When you see what dealers are having to do or having to try to do for warranty work, you will be shocked, parts are now stupidly expensive (and its not the exchange rate either, its pure greed on IM's part) and the fact they dont hold ANY stock really inspires confidence in buying a car from them....

On the above advice you have 2 options, buy a JDM car where you know you wont have a warranty but it will be more reliable or buy a 2.5 and throw some money at it yourself knowing you have to make it more reliable, just dont rely on the dealer network that much, its sad but true, the joys of the early-mid 2000's are no more

Tony
Old 05 August 2013, 06:19 PM
mrjelly
Scooby Regular

Is it really fair to completely slate the 2.5 engine. Is it not the same in the hawk as the hatch, but they changed things to mapping etc.
As far as I know its only after 2008 that there are issues I have had 4 hawks (3 of them stis) and havent really come across any issue, until maybe my newest sti (which I think is maybe cos she is prodrived) My wrx (admitedly only 288horse) has fantastic pull and doesnt show any signs of worries.
So why not just change the ecu or map?
Old 05 August 2013, 06:41 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

I don't agree with what Tony has written there, with respect. The 2.0 JDM twinscroll is a nice unit but it's not for all of us, I for one don't think it's as brilliant as it is made out to be.

The standard 2.5 would appear to have quite a poor reliability record with head gasket failures and piston failures being the most prominent issues. It is very difficult to put a rate or figure to the number of failures. It would appear that Subaru have tried to sweep the issue under the carpet rather than fixing it.

However, three of the most highly respected engine tuners on here advocate that forged pistons and uprated head gaskets bolted down with uprated studs are a permanent fix. Cosworth seem to think so too! There are other options that can be chosen also but provided you want to run your car at a sensible power with guaranteed reliability that is one hell of an engine and excellent for road use.
Old 06 August 2013, 01:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mrjelly
Is it really fair to completely slate the 2.5 engine. Is it not the same in the hawk as the hatch, but they changed things to mapping etc.
As far as I know its only after 2008 that there are issues I have had 4 hawks (3 of them stis) and havent really come across any issue, until maybe my newest sti (which I think is maybe cos she is prodrived) My wrx (admitedly only 288horse) has fantastic pull and doesnt show any signs of worries.
So why not just change the ecu or map?
Yes it is fair to slate that horrid 2.5ltr unit, it was never designed to run the power it runs in the Impreza STI, in Japan the same engine is used in the Impreza but restricted to 265ps and has an auto box, the STI Forrester is only 265ps with the same engine, it has "more" torque than the old 2ltr single scroll but not as much as the 2ltr twin scroll which is a far better unit.

The block has inherent weaknesses in it, it has tendencies to crack between the bores, no HG upgrade or stronger bolts will fix that problem, it needs to be linered for that, dont get me wrong, you can do quite a bit with the engine if you strip it down and re build it, but most people dont want that, they want a car with a reliable engine out of the factory and not having to throw 2.5-3k at a car to make it reliable

The Hawk and Hatch share the same engine, some "minor" changes but its basically the same block and internals, Subaru Japan released a "totally new" 2.5ltr engine around the MY12 release, built from the bottom up with a new block, we will never see it though as the Impreza is no more over here, so what you are buying is that same flawed 2.5 that has some serious reliabilty issues unless you throw your hard earned cash at it.
Your best bet is to find a nice car and have some cash left over to get a decent engine builder to uprate it for you, without linering the block you are good for around 400bhp, thats the cheapest option but if you are going to do something, you may as well do it right in the first place or buy a JDM, the twin scroll is an excellent unit, having driven a 2.5 and a twin scroll, the twin scroll beats it on the road in standard form, even tuned the twin scroll is damned good, the 2.5 is a lazier engine and you feel the lag more (though its better than the 2ltr single scroll unit for this), but look around, plenty have had forged rebuilds so would be good looking at these

Tony
Old 06 August 2013, 01:10 PM
richardwilson777
Scooby Newbie

Ok, after reading the above and the first main post about all the engine problems I have told the garage I didn't want it.

Might go and find a GB270 - they seem to be a much better car
Old 06 August 2013, 01:14 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

GB270 has the same 2.5 lump
Old 06 August 2013, 10:46 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jdm
Old 06 August 2013, 11:55 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richardwilson777
Ok, after reading the above and the first main post about all the engine problems I have told the garage I didn't want it.

Might go and find a GB270 - they seem to be a much better car
I've read at least two recent posts about 2.5 WRXs blowing up too.

It appears to be a less likely problem on the WRX but it still happens...

Unless you want to risk it or buy one and forge it you'd be better off looking at something that has already been forged or as suggested, a 2.0 either older car or JDM.
Old 08 August 2013, 10:35 AM
richardwilson777
Scooby Newbie

Well I've decided to look for something else. Having owned 7 Classic's and had no real problems I don't want to end up having to sort an engine.

No idea what to get next
Old 08 August 2013, 10:46 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for a wide track blob sti. Last of the two litre cars.