Sponsored by:

Trolley jack recommendation and advice please

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2013, 03:44 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trolley jack recommendation and advice please

I set out to change the gearbox and rear diff oil on my 05 sti, I purchased this kit from http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255207

However the trolley jack is terrible, it doesnt lift high enough, also at first I tried to lift the car from from the sub frame support bracket type thing (dont know what its called) at the back of the engine, the jack wouldnt reach, and even if it did, the handle is far too small to do anything.

Then tried the passenger side jacking point and it bent the sill . Lifted the car from a nut under a plastic cover on the subframe, is this an ok place to lift?

Ive been searching the internet for hours now on safe jacking point on our car's, and my head is about to explode.

Guys could you please recommend a decent trolley jack that will lift to a decent height, and also some safe jacking points?

Also, Ive read conflicting opinions on getting under a car thats supported on 4 axel stands, I cant get the top nut on diff do move, and planned on buying a breaker bar, but have now read people saying its dangerous as the sideways force may make the car unstable. Is this true?

Thanks
Old 22 May 2013, 05:35 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A little trick I use is a couple of paving slabs and blocks of wood and sit the jack on them but only to support the gear box, I used a similar method with the standard jack and blocks of wood to get it up high enough on axel stands to take the gearbox out, but I do have some big *** axel stands, It's a bit of a ball ache but I get there in the end.

When I'm working under a car like that I always put 2 wheels on top of each other under the sills where the jacking points are as a fail safe should the worst happen, I don't leave anything to fate, jacks or axel stands when working under a car, sooner wreck the wheels than cave my chest in.
Old 22 May 2013, 05:54 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Always put wheels under I had a classic ranger over land on my legs and that was supported by 8 3 tone axle stands! Trust me it f@cking hurts! As for the jack I use a sealey jack 89+vat fr a local factors high lift and quick lift it an excellent bit of kit
Old 22 May 2013, 06:04 PM
Adma-RA
Scooby Regular

I'm about to buy one of these after seeing some good reviews about SGS's kit -

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydra...s-trolley-jack

Have been warned off the Sealey jacks due to the sudden failures reported in a 2 page thread on BRF - more than just a few isolated incidents.
Old 22 May 2013, 06:05 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear is easy, just use the diff. Even a jack like yours can reach that.

Fronts I use the pinch welds as my jack also won't reach the centre-point. My Jack (Clarke one from Machine Mart) has a rubber puck insert for the plate so it stops the pinchwelds from getting too knackered.
Old 22 May 2013, 07:20 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I had that jack and its a heap of pooooo ... Soon enough the wheel will start to turn in and u will poo u panties every time u get under u motor incase it collapses "even though u have axle stands " best bet bin it and buy somthing that's decent !!!!! That's what I done
Old 22 May 2013, 07:38 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

The Arcan low profile aluminium jacks that costco sell are the dogs danglies IMO. One of the best 100 quids I've ever spent on car bits.
Old 22 May 2013, 11:34 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Surely of all things this is not a place to buy cheap!? If it is supporting the weight of your car whilst underneath it, I don't think cruddy jacks are the way to go! Buy a decent one to last and be up to the job!
Old 22 May 2013, 11:38 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
The Arcan low profile aluminium jacks that costco sell are the dogs danglies IMO. One of the best 100 quids I've ever spent on car bits.
+1