Sponsored by:

My STI sounds like a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2012, 03:03 PM
darkmagic
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My STI sounds like a diesel

Guys had my car back a couple of weeks ago after new crank, race bearings, rod, sparks, oil pump, belt, heads etc... but now the car sounds like a diesel on idle. Even when warmed up still sounds like a diesel! got a 2006 hawkeye sti running approx 330 bhp. Basically it appears to be two sounds. A loudish ticking and something else which I just can't work out. I don't think I'm being paranoid as mates who have been in the car said it sounded different to before and I didn't even ask them to listen out for the noise. Car runs fins, idles fine, noise goes away when the revs pick up. I know the weather is a lot colder but had the car for two winters and there is definitely something different. Also noticed the car takes ages to warm up properly. Can drive 5 miles before the temp gauge gets to normal. Any thoughts please!!!
Old 17 December 2012, 03:14 PM
StevieL81
Scooby Regular

Take it back to where done the rebuild if it's not right!
Old 17 December 2012, 03:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

get it back to who ever built it, ring them straight away and get them to trailor it back.

long warm up times are not suprising though, also that's water temp, oil temp will prob take double that.
Old 17 December 2012, 05:40 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My STI water temp reads warm after about a mile or so.
Oil more like 3 miles.
Old 17 December 2012, 05:53 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Would this not be piston slap?, common with some forged pistons, although they weren't listed as being changed.
Old 17 December 2012, 06:19 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Most sti's have some sort of noise when running. As you say a ticking noise, I think most will say they have this also???

To the OP, If you do a search on here for "noisy engine" or "ticking noise" there are quite a few threads related to your issue. Not having a go here at all, but they might help put your mind at rest, or otherwise confirm your worry. Also do some YouTube checks and have a listen to the sound of other engines
I just changed my oil this month and noticed a new sound in the engine, but I put this down to changing the oil to 5w40 for the winter months.

Having said all that I would still ring the place that carried out the work and make them aware at the very least.
Old 17 December 2012, 06:42 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

OP, here is my thread.

I can't say it's got any worse / better. Mine pulls like a train, so I'm not concerned.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ing-noise.html
Old 17 December 2012, 07:12 PM
craigwrx277
Scooby Regular

Not just piston slap? Mine scares the poop out me everytime I hear it
Old 18 December 2012, 08:56 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Me too, mine is a slapper, every time I start the car on a cold morning I have visions of £3-4k rebuilds!
Old 18 December 2012, 09:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by darkmagic
Guys had my car back a couple of weeks ago after new crank, race bearings, rod, sparks, oil pump, belt, heads etc... but now the car sounds like a diesel on idle. Even when warmed up still sounds like a diesel! got a 2006 hawkeye sti running approx 330 bhp. Basically it appears to be two sounds. A loudish ticking and something else which I just can't work out. I don't think I'm being paranoid as mates who have been in the car said it sounded different to before and I didn't even ask them to listen out for the noise. Car runs fins, idles fine, noise goes away when the revs pick up. I know the weather is a lot colder but had the car for two winters and there is definitely something different. Also noticed the car takes ages to warm up properly. Can drive 5 miles before the temp gauge gets to normal. Any thoughts please!!!
Yes,

They've transplanted you a diesel engine, you should be thankful nearly everybody else on here had to go out and buy a whole new car

Last edited by dpb; 18 December 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 18 December 2012, 04:42 PM
darkmagic
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the reponses. Very long story about where I had the work done to the car. Basically cant go back there. The guy that did the work did me a massive favour. The reason why that car went into the garage in the first place was HG failure then after that was done the big end went. The car seems perfect now, 300 miles and not missed a beat. Idling circa 700 - 750 revs. Not thrashed the car in any way yet and want to get a few more miles under its belt then swap out the oil and filter. Its just this noise that's bugging me. Listening to it again it sounds like the ticking is coming from the drivers side near the air box. Been on to all the youtube clips and searched this topic in most of the forums. Just hoping it is something very minor, but it is definitely not how the engine should sound.
Old 18 December 2012, 05:20 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Record a vid on your phone and post it
Old 18 December 2012, 09:10 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the spark plugs are tight -make's one hell of a noise when they are loose.

Mick
Old 18 December 2012, 09:28 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

If you hold the revs at 2500RPM when stationary does it sound better or worse, & is it the same hot or cold? Also do you have tubular or standard headers?
Old 19 December 2012, 02:39 PM
darkmagic
Scooby Newbie

its the same hot and cold and when at 2500 revs sounds goes away a little. difficult to really tell.
Old 19 December 2012, 02:40 PM
darkmagic
Scooby Newbie

regarding the headers I'm assuming standard as was not changed
Old 19 December 2012, 03:03 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just my 2p worth

I had the a similar scare a while thinking my engine was on its last legs!!

Took it to FB Tuning for a check and full compression test, all which were more then fine! (phew!)

So while the car was running we hoisted it in the air and then Rich just held the Header heat shield and the noise went instantly!
Couldn't believe it was just that causing all that noise.

So may be worth just check its not them as i found out now they are a very common issue. Reminds me i still need to get that done.

Mel
Old 19 December 2012, 05:18 PM
darkmagic
Scooby Newbie

dont really know my way round the engine bay and this is a little emberassing but where is the header heat shield?
Old 19 December 2012, 05:51 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They are the heat shield around your exhaust manifold (Known as the headers)

They basically come loose and start rattling making your engine sound like it about to let go!

Without removing the under tray under the engine you wont be able to check, although its not a difficult job. Sure if you search here then you'll find a how-to remove them.

Or get your friend to check it out if he can? I'm sure he will understand what i mean by my previous post.

Mel