ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Dealer Denial?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2012, 05:23 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Denial?

I went to the local dealership to pick up some supplies from their agricultural store. Whilst I was there I thought it would be rude not to check out the showroom.

Now into double figures for scoob ownership - a mix of WRX (JDM and UK), UK Turbo's and STi's (JDM and UK) - I currently have the only 2.5l which I have owned (Spec D). Needless to say, it is the only one that has had mechanical failure...namely blown HG. The car is a totally standard PPP version. Even after the engine rebuild, it still drinks oil like there is no tomorrow.

Anyway, I asked the dealer if they had fixed the problem with the 2.5l engine on the new STi. I was quite taken back when he quite aggressively said ' what problem - there has never been a problem as far as Subaru are concerned'. Now I know this is probably party line, etc, but after 10 scoobs I expected a little bit more of a civilised answer...after all I am desperate to replace the Spec D with another Subuaru. I also can't believe that they haven't 'fixed' the issues with this lump?

Looks like the Dark Side beckons - and that really pains me to say that...

Sorry - I don't really want to start another debate on the reliability of the 2.5l or an Evo v Scoob war...I just wanted to post because, to be honest, I feel a little bit sad
Old 10 December 2012, 05:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But surely you don't actually expect honesty from a car dealer, ESPECIALLY a Scoob dealer now?
Old 10 December 2012, 05:54 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Totally agree mate.Ive had a classic and now have a blob,and would love to upgrade to a hawk or hatch in the not so distant future but there is no chance of this,all because of that bloody 2.5 lump of ****e!
Old 10 December 2012, 06:38 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by poolio74
Totally agree mate.Ive had a classic and now have a blob,and would love to upgrade to a hawk or hatch in the not so distant future but there is no chance of this,all because of that bloody 2.5 lump of ****e!
What about a JDM 2.0 twin scroll Hatch S-GT, never had a moments trouble with mine, & all the JDM good bits also.
Old 10 December 2012, 07:07 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

twin scroll would be my choice also.............
Old 10 December 2012, 07:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The issues with the 2.5 isn't fixable. Well, not without a complete new engine block design.

The thickness of the cylinder wall is cut away so much to make clearance for the cylinder head bolts that there is insufficient area to have a gasket clamp down AND remain pressure tight for the life of the engine.

Put simply...the bores are too big for the block.

The added issue is when running high BHP the cylinders move around.

Thats not to say its unreliable, but its a weak spot, that will fail should there be any anomoly with the cooling system or engine tune. Be it a air lock caused by a leak elsewhere or a cylinder running a bit lean/hot, or manky (acidic) coolant, these problems will manifest by causing a failure at that weakest point.

Yes it can be improved by using studs, higher torque settings and different gaskets but in the end of the day the design flaw is still there. Maybe a closed deck would cure it and thats what some tuners try and do to stop the cylinder moving, but if closed deck is the answer, why did Subaru go from closed to deck to open deck?

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 December 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10 December 2012, 07:14 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
ESPECIALLY a Scoob dealer now?
I might be misinterpreting this entirely, but does this allude to the top-level meeting of all the UK Subaru dealerships that was mentioned on here last week? What was the result of that meeting?
Old 10 December 2012, 07:21 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX Blues
I went to the local dealership to pick up some supplies from their agricultural store. Whilst I was there I thought it would be rude not to check out the showroom.

Now into double figures for scoob ownership - a mix of WRX (JDM and UK), UK Turbo's and STi's (JDM and UK) - I currently have the only 2.5l which I have owned (Spec D). Needless to say, it is the only one that has had mechanical failure...namely blown HG. The car is a totally standard PPP version. Even after the engine rebuild, it still drinks oil like there is no tomorrow.

Anyway, I asked the dealer if they had fixed the problem with the 2.5l engine on the new STi. I was quite taken back when he quite aggressively said ' what problem - there has never been a problem as far as Subaru are concerned'. Now I know this is probably party line, etc, but after 10 scoobs I expected a little bit more of a civilised answer...after all I am desperate to replace the Spec D with another Subuaru. I also can't believe that they haven't 'fixed' the issues with this lump?

Looks like the Dark Side beckons - and that really pains me to say that...

Sorry - I don't really want to start another debate on the reliability of the 2.5l or an Evo v Scoob war...I just wanted to post because, to be honest, I feel a little bit sad

I've just gone to the dark side for reasons I won't go into but nothing a quick search wouldn't give you the answers to I've had it since Friday and I love it. I don't know why I didn't just buy one in the first place
Old 10 December 2012, 07:27 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The issues with the 2.5 isn't fixable. Well, not without a complete new engine block design.

The thickness of the cylinder wall is cut away so much to make clearance for the cylinder head bolts that there is insufficient area to have a gasket clamp down AND remain pressure tight for the life of the engine.

Put simply...the bores are too big for the block.

The added issue is when running high BHP the cylinders move around.

Thats not to say its unreliable, but its a weak spot, that will fail should there be any anomoly with the cooling system or engine tune. Be it a air lock caused by a leak elsewhere or a cylinder running a bit lean/hot, or manky (acidic) coolant, these problems will manifest by causing a failure at that weakest point.

Yes it can be improved by using studs, higher torque settings and different gaskets but in the end of the day the design flaw is still there. Maybe a closed deck would cure it and thats what some tuners try and do to stop the cylinder moving, but if closed deck is the answer, why did Subaru go from closed to deck to open deck?
Closed Decks can and are being done in the aftermarket with a good success and particuarly when combined with hi-torque or larger studs they do what they should.......

if i could only just recall where i have seen it...........LOL

alyn
Old 10 December 2012, 07:34 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have seen these modified blocks also Alyn, for the life of me i can't think where !
Old 10 December 2012, 07:38 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a CNC closed deck EJ257 block from AS Performance?

www.asperformance.com

Easily 600bhp capable. And very inexpensive.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Last edited by frayz; 10 December 2012 at 07:44 PM.