Sponsored by:

Tunning ideas please

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2012, 01:28 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunning ideas please

Hi, Love my 99 uk impreza the short time i have had it. I was thinking of instead of saving for a newer newage i would rather spend on my classic instead, has i love it that much plus its a lot lighter then the newage.
The car is standard apart from a dump valve, newage 17 inch wheels,and different back box and middle catless pipe. I am not after chasing power figures or more top end power or speed, but i would like more bottom end power.
Would i be better off keeping the smaller td04 turbo for better low down power or would something like the vf 28 be better. I have brought a de cat s/steel down pipe which is going to be fitted tomorrow, plus i have a 255 fuel pump and a induction air filter to put on. I also have a mapped ecu which was mapped with this items plus a vf 28 turbo, and produced 290 hp
Just would like to no your views or maybe some has done some mods to there classic which gave good bottom end power. I intend fitting bc coilovers and uprated discs and pads too. All your views most welcome.
Old 28 October 2012, 04:29 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

Tunning
Old 28 October 2012, 04:52 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Sorry not too good with these touch phones.
Old 28 October 2012, 05:18 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

We touched on this in your other thread.

Exhaust system with de-cat,
Panel filter (forget the induction kit)
Walbro 255 of other similar pump,
Have your current ecu mapped via ecutek (or fit the other one if it already has a license and have that mapped to suit your car)

Will see in the region of 280bhp with a punchy little TD04 turbo and will be a massive improvement to the drivability.

You can't just fit the other ecu and expect it to run sweet even if you fit a VF28. You need to have YOUR car mapped.
Old 28 October 2012, 05:23 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^
That...
Old 28 October 2012, 05:33 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jesus every thread i read on here lately people keep fitting stuff without remaps...........

is this the way imprezas are going now??

Last edited by tubbytommy; 28 October 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 28 October 2012, 05:35 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

When i get my de cat down pipe fitted tomorrow, my exhaust system will be a full de cat system. I then intend fitting the 255 fuel pump, i have a induction kit to put on too would this not help.
My ecu is a e3 and the remapped one is a y7, but sure i have read on this forum that they are a stright swop. There is no licence on the ecu, it was done at scooby clinc and i have the bill and dyno chart..
How much would it cost to remap the ecu, any ideas who is good in the nottingham, lincoln area. Would you say keep the standard td04 turbo for best low down power, any other mods needed. Many thanks

Last edited by bikesforme; 28 October 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 28 October 2012, 05:36 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikesforme
When i get my de cat down pipe fitted tomorrow, my exhaust system will be a full de cat system. I then intend fitting the 255 fuel pump, i have a induction kit to put on too would this not help.
My
REMAP.......................
Old 28 October 2012, 05:55 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

My ecu is a e3 and the remapped one is a y7, but sure i have read on this forum that they are a stright swop. There is no licence on the ecu, it was done at scooby clinc and i have the bill and dyno chart..
How much would it cost to remap the ecu, any ideas who is good in the nottingham, lincoln area. Would you say keep the standard td04 turbo for best low down power, any other mods needed. Many thanks
-The other ECU will have a license on it if it was mapped via ECUTEK.
-Not sure if the two are a direct swap though.
-Yes, keep the TD04, nice little punchy turbo.
-No need for induction kit, it will bring more problems and a panel filter is a better option at your level.
-running your car with modifications is a big no no, get all the parts ready and fit a few days before mapping.
-jolly green monster (Simon) is mobile and can come to you to map it
Old 28 October 2012, 06:00 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

I understand it will need a remap, but
need some advice on my best package to go for. Do i change turbo , i have a induction air filter, do i put it on . Like i said i am only interested in more low down power
Old 28 October 2012, 06:08 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Ok, I'll try again.

-Keep the TD04, it's a punchy little turbo which spools very early. Will make 280+bhp and will make for a good road car. If you want more power then a different turbo is required and by going bigger you will sacrifice some of that early spool.
-you don't need the induction kit, the 99 cars have weak'ish MAF'S as it is and a induction kit won't help it. The standard air box only needs replacing when going with a front mount intercooler, until then keep it as it is but add a decent panel filter.
Old 28 October 2012, 06:16 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Many thanks matty i will sell the induction kit and get a panel filter,still lost on my mapped ecu there is no sticker ect on it saying its mapped. What will a remap cost, will changing up pipe, manifold help at my level. Thanks
Old 28 October 2012, 06:22 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Many thanks matty i will sell the induction kit and get a panel filter,still lost on my mapped ecu there is no sticker ect on it saying its mapped. What will a remap cost, will changing up pipe, manifold help at my level. Thanks
There won't be a sticker on the ECU buddy, you'll never know its been mapped without a pro plugging it in.
If you decide to have your current ecu mapped then expect to pay in the region of £500. I know this may seem expensive but trust me its worth every penny. Some of that cost is for the license which you can avoid if your other ecu already has it.
Regard to manifold and up pipe, yes great idea. Speak to a chap on here called Harvey, he does a ported manifold and up pipe package which dramatically helps spool and power. Think he does it on exchange basis too which is good.
Old 28 October 2012, 06:51 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Any ideas what it would cost to have a remap if i use the ecu thats been remapped. Also would it be ok to drive the car to get it mapped with this ecu, bearing in mind it was mapped with these mods plus a vf 28 turbo.
Any ideas what the harvey manifold and up pipe cost, does he have a web site. Thanks
Old 28 October 2012, 07:01 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

-search Harvey on here and you'll find him, I'm not sure what he charges.
-mapping the other ECU if it already has a license will be circa £300
-you 'could' drive it but would need to drive like a grandad, no boost whatsoever. If you have someone like Simon (JGM) map it then he can come to you.
Old 28 October 2012, 07:12 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

many thanks