what damage would this do to a motor

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2012, 05:21 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what damage would this do to a motor

Sold this block to a chap has had it fitted by a garage down his way
Was fitted about 2 weeks ago now its knocking and had no boost he only got about 4 says driving
Am 100 percent the engine was fine and no knock.
As the pics show bottom of the inlet pipe was never on
This is the tricky part who's responsible I want to help the chap out as much as I can but don't think I should be held responsible for a dodgy fit if this is the cause of knocking out a good engine

Last edited by SLAB; 27 October 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 27 October 2012, 05:52 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

presuming thats the inlet hose (poor pics but get the gist) it will allow un-metered air to enter the turbo and cause the car to run lean - potentially causing piston/ringland meltdown & failure...........

alyn
Old 27 October 2012, 08:19 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

As above if that is on the turbo inlet after the MAF, it's very possible it will go lean and get hot which could cause bearing failure.
Old 27 October 2012, 09:16 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As allready said, Un metered air entering the engine causing a lean running condition. kaboom. Not your fault at all mate his hard luck for incorrectly fitting the hose.
Old 27 October 2012, 09:21 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not siding with anyone here but if a 'good' motor run for 4 days with a little bit of un-metered air[especially if standard] then I would find it hard to believe it would cause a bearing failure.
That said of course as Alyn etc have said it most certainly isn't a good thing to be doing and can have severe side affects.

All IMO
Old 27 October 2012, 09:31 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmm unmetered air would certainly cause lean running & detonation which could potentially knock out the big ends. However very hard to prove either way, but if the car was driven hard I'd favour this explanation.
Old 27 October 2012, 09:32 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

4 days of running very poorly think he got about 60 miles out of it running ok without any boost just a bit of tappet rattle then parked it up. When the car was delivered to me it was running very ill wouldn't tick over and deffo had the death rattle

Last edited by SLAB; 28 October 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 28 October 2012, 08:00 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bearing failure happens in a couple of mins, my first one happened in less than a mile of going up to 5000 rpm, everything was fine at the begining of the dual carrigeway and by the end of a 2 mile stretch it was knocking like a good un, no sign what so ever before it went.

My second time with forged internals and acl bearings was pretty much the same but being driven slightly harder, but was not giving it death changing gear around 5800 rpm, and there was only 2/3 mins of that and it was fubared.

If correct procedures are not followed when installing an engine, and by the looks of the pics they were not, then it's not your fault SLAB.

Sounds to me like the lad is looking for a scape goat, as would anyone, but who ever fitted it is at fault and is obviously trying to pass the buck, which is to be expected in this day and age.

If it wasn't knocking when fitted then it's obvious it wasn't gone before, because it's not something that happens slowly over time, in my experience, it's more of a one min your good the next get your money out.

Hard lesson for the lad, but not just any bloke with the tools and a workshop can fit a subaru engine, you need to have plenty of back ground subaru knowledge, and to fit a hose incorrectly like that shows me that he's not the best of spanner monkeys.
Old 28 October 2012, 09:12 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a buisness level and a personal level I've had to correct that many previous bodged jobs
I couldn't even begin to list em
Unless I've fitted a part I would never start giving money back
I wouldn't even be suprised if Somone said they forgot to put oil in it
( even a garage )
and scoobys more than any generally get a hard life , because one of the first thing some folk do when they fit summat new is go straight out and see how good it is , meaning they go out and give it plenty of revs = boost = bang if summats not right
As for a s/h scooby engine and not fitted by Somone you no and trust , there's not a cat in hells chance I would even contemplate sorting it
May sound harsh but folk have tried it on many times