Sponsored by:

battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2012, 11:45 PM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery issues

Guys, after some information, just wondering if you don't drive your car for about a week does your starts first time, or struggles to start, i've been told that the battery can be crap on the car, and drive with the lights on, does anyone else have similar issues or are ok?

regards

VJ
Old 26 October 2012, 12:20 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I have this problem on my Blobeye STi. I believe the issue is not the battery but with the following:

- The STI has the RAC Trackstar and the battery on the trackstar pulls power from the main battey on standing because it doesnt switch off properly

- The Alternator on the blobeye is a special type of intelligent alternator which only charges the battery once a drop in charge is detected, thus to keep the battery charged properly you need to drive with either the side lights or even just the heater fan on so that a constant charge is made.

This is always a pain for me as I have been through many batteries through the 8 years of ownership, and find when I can I have to use an inteligent battery charger connected to the battery when its near to or in the Garage.
Once I left the car on the driveway for just over 1 week and the alarm started to chirp on and off, I only just managed to open the car with the remote fob whilst the central locking was clicking on and off, it was a nightmare to try and get the car to open up, then I only just managed to get the car to turn over. This is with a 64 AH battery which has 4ah over the 60 ah battery the car usually has.

If you do a search on here you will see through out the years of this being discussed many a time.

Dont think you have to worry if you only have the Blob WRX model.
Old 26 October 2012, 12:25 AM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

Nah I've got an STI, I had a feeling it was to do with the tracker so, about a 6months ago I got a mate to fit a solar panel in the car, its helped abit but not much, luckily though I drive every other day, but a couple of weeks ago i didn't drive it for 8 days and it struggled to start, even with the solar panel fitted, so was wondering if it was anything else causing it! But it's the tracker thats draining it!

Last edited by BAD BOY V; 26 October 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 26 October 2012, 08:53 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Think yourself lucky, if mines left for anymore than two days its dead. Probably down to the fact my battery is the same size as a *** packet though.....lol....

If you keep the car indoors then an optimizer is a great idea. I purchased this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281008263259?redirect=mobile

Just keeps the battery ticking over when not being used.
Old 26 October 2012, 11:07 AM
Frylite
Scooby Regular

Same if mine is left for 5-6 days it will be flat and it is a brand new heavy duty battery. Some one said it is common for the bugeyes to have a alarm problem that drains it. but as a every day drive it has not been a issue.
Old 26 October 2012, 01:05 PM
zenith
Scooby Regular

This happens to me if I leave it. It normally takes about a week to drain it then you get the aggro of the alarm going off without being able to turn it off!!
Old 26 October 2012, 03:48 PM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

Ok cool, its not just mine then lol, I've looking up it is quite common with these cars!
Old 26 October 2012, 07:15 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD BOY V
Nah I've got an STI, I had a feeling it was to do with the tracker so, about a 6months ago I got a mate to fit a solar panel in the car, its helped abit but not much, luckily though I drive every other day, but a couple of weeks ago i didn't drive it for 8 days and it struggled to start, even with the solar panel fitted, so was wondering if it was anything else causing it! But it's the tracker thats draining it!

So you wouldn't recommend a solar powered battery trickle-charger then?
I was considering getting one that just plugs straight into the cig lighter.
Old 26 October 2012, 07:22 PM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

To be honest with you Mike, its hit and miss I use it, and it helps at times I mean I left it for 10 days it struggled to start but it started, I think had i not had the solar panel, the alarm would have chirped. So if you get one, it plug straight into the ciggerette lighter, but that will have to be wired that it has constant power going through so it will work when the car is switched off and parked up! Also when you drive the car, drive with the side lights on that charges battery aswell!

Last edited by BAD BOY V; 26 October 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 26 October 2012, 07:36 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

To be honest with you Mike, its hit and miss I use it, and it helps at times I mean I left it for 10 days it struggled to start but it started, I think had i not had the solar panel, the alarm would have chirped. So if you get one, it plug straight into the ciggerette lighter, but that will have to be wired that it has constant power going through so it will work when the car is switched off and parked up! Also when you drive the car, drive with the side lights on that charges battery aswell!
Thanks, yeah I do now always drive with the sidelights on since I learned of the problems with the ironicallly named ''smart-charge'' system. (Doesn't seem like a very 'smart' system to me!!

As I only use the car as a weekender I'm just after something to hopefully keep the battery topped up in the winter months, I'll have to check if the cig lighter works with no ignition to see if one of these chargers is suitable.
Old 26 October 2012, 07:49 PM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike this is the one i use, my mates got the same one on his mk2 Supra

http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=98358

Regards

VJ
Old 26 October 2012, 08:17 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike this is the one i use, my mates got the same one on his mk2 Supra

http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=98358

Regards

VJ
Cheers for that VJ, think I'll pay a visit to Maplin in the morning... if tonights frost hasn't already killed my battery!
Old 26 October 2012, 08:45 PM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

Lol, No problem Mike!