Subaru BRZ: Slow to the Dealer, Fast Off the Lot

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2012, 01:03 AM
SRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru BRZ: Slow to the Dealer, Fast Off the Lot

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...t-off-the-lot/

The STI sold in Japan much better than the Subaru management had expected and now it's the same story with the BRZ.

In 2003 they had not only developed a 4 cylinder diesel boxer, but a 6 cylinder too.
Only problem was, there was no gearbox available that could stand the torque.

Instead of developing a new, stronger gearbox they canceled the project and introduced only the 4 cylinder.

Why not build a H6 2.4 liter; add two cylinders - they did it before with the EJ22, two extra cylinders and the SVX had its 3.3 - to the new 1.6 and they would have a new downsized 6 cylinder
that would be much better then the FB25. And not only for the Legacy/Outback, but too for the Forester and the Impreza.

But the Subaru Japanese seem to be a little gutless to even take the risk of having success.
The evidence is the BRZ; without Toyota there would not even be one, because Subaru was afraid to invest time and money in the developing of the model.

Maybe one day they will learn.
Old 21 June 2012, 02:37 AM
Ludford
Scooby Regular

No offence but I can't think why anyone would want a band new car that's slower than a Honda S2000 and gets less MPG than a V8 Mustang.
Old 21 June 2012, 07:26 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

I have to say i had great hopes with the BRZ but on many fronts it has failed. It's not special, it is under powered and the MPG is poor given the latest technology.

To me it looks like they have got caught between two cars, one being something that keeps up there performance heritage and the other being an economical MX5 type car. I don't unfortunately think they have achieved either.
Old 21 June 2012, 07:43 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Te BRZ is the future of subaru and will develop a cult following just like the Impreza
Check out the American ft86 following its Hugh

Is the same with the bug eye when it came our no one wanted it was slower then the classic and heavy too
Put a decent set of lights on it and it flew out of the showroom
The blobeye was a success a couple of years late as many classic drivers could not wait any longer for a new car and had the 3year itch
The hawkeyes sold ok but now lots of people are snapping them up at bargain prices as residuals are at an all time low

I remember 4years ago when the hatch came out it was condemned constantly with only a few brave people getting them although the price of 20k for a wrx and 26k for an STi was good value
The wrx disappeared after a couple of years and the wrxd struggled mainly because of availability and 21-23 k price and the STi went up to 33-34k with the yen exchange rate
Again purists weren't keen as they were still set in their own ways and scared to change

BRZ is different a 2 Door rwd with 200 BHP so again a reapeat of the last ten years negativity and fear

Gave it a year or two and everyone will want them once a Hugh rear wing ,front lip which are already getting developed and I'm sure the engines will be tweaked

I have only seen one negative road test EVO but check out lots of other magazine reviews
They all rate it one of the best sports cars to come out of Japan and at a bargain price of 25-27 k
Delivery is a long 6 months as they are now fetching well over list in the rest of the world as Subaru struggle to keep up demand as Americans are a bit more positive then the uk

BRZ will be great well balanced ,excellent handling and a great price too
It's just not many people are brave enough to say its great and I want one ..yet

NBO 15 they will be every ware and well admired and modified and also a new group of owners ex s2000,Mazda ,Toyota ,and even porsche owners who have slimmed down the purchase price to buy
Old 21 June 2012, 07:45 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

When a car is as good looking as this you don't need to go fast
Yet I'm sure faster STi versions are coming soon

Old 21 June 2012, 07:54 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Not sure i can agree on this one John. It's not special enough, it doesn't offer anything new over lots of similar cars from years gone by. We need something radical to kick start Subaru over here.

This isn't it IMO
Old 21 June 2012, 11:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree.

It will fail as the Hatch has done over here.

Radical styling?
Plenty of cues from the RX8 there.........
Old 21 June 2012, 12:13 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say the styling is radical either, looks like a 10 year old Hyundai coupe thingy....
Old 21 June 2012, 12:46 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yep I was thinking RX8 Hyundai Mongrel

Last edited by P1Fanatic; 21 June 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: RX8 not RX&
Old 21 June 2012, 01:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Subaru designers were all sacked after they got the bug so wrong, LOL.
Now they design using photoshop.......IMHO, and allegedly

Or they outshop it to the Blunkett design academy, LOL
Old 21 June 2012, 01:51 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
I wouldn't say the styling is radical either, looks like a 10 year old Hyundai coupe thingy....
i agree looks like my bothers old coupe
Old 21 June 2012, 02:32 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

if you think it looks bad now,wait ten years until a tool sticks wrc graphics on it because
"subarus are rally cars innit".
Old 21 June 2012, 10:34 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

As in previous models I don't see where Subaru are going with this. £25K for the performance & mpg it delivers? Wouldn't be my cash. It doesn't offer enough originality and it's style is pretty mundane. It was too long coming to showroom and for the many guises that were offered as what it was going to be, it a real disappointment.

The Peugeot coupe (with the bubbled roof) is a stunning looking car, The Audi TT is proven and is a big seller. The Nissan 370Z is more expensive but out performs the BRZ.

I can't see a long que forming down at the local Subaru dealer for them. I live 10 miles from a dealer and I can say I have seen about 2 STi saloons locally on the road and I can't remember when I saw 61 or 12 plate STi hatch.
Old 21 June 2012, 11:03 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

i agree it looks like hyundai coupe version 2 and those wheels look like ripspeeds finest they could at least put sti turbo engine in it or even a tuned version of the twin turbo legacy lump to make it more of a gtr contender
Old 22 June 2012, 06:59 AM
KrisBuc
Scooby Regular

I'm another one who thinks its a poor attempt at a sporty coupe to slow to expensive and just looks cheap
Old 24 June 2012, 03:17 PM
Mangopussycat
Scooby Newbie

Smile BRZ-In showroom

Afternoon all, anyone who would like a trip to Cheshire will be able to see the BRZ in the flesh. All are welcome !! Mangoletsi