Sponsored by:

8 seater MPV woes....

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2012, 05:59 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 8 seater MPV woes....

I'm looking to purchase an 8 seater MPV so when we all go out as a family we don't need to take two cars.

Trouble is all 8 seat MPVs are **** or WAYYYYYYY too expensive. I thought about converting a van instead. I'd shortlisted two vans, a Transit Connect and a Merc Vito. Both easily converted and can be made to look half decent (Idea was to have a people carrier that doesn't really look like one.

Vans are relatively cheap as are the parts to convert. Also DVLA, VOSA and DfT are sorted. Now I've hit another hurdle, insurance. As soon as they hear the word 'converted' they hike the the fookin price up and I mean more than it costs me to insure my modded Impreza Turbo!!!! I flaming give in......

Rant over
Old 14 May 2012, 06:32 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there were some 8 seat versions of Toyota Previa
Old 14 May 2012, 06:54 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Have you looked at the Mazda Bongo (Ford Freda) they are both the same vehicle. They are 8 seater. Came with petrol or diesel engines and as they were Jap only have a massive spec and some really good ones floating around for sale atm. An old friend used to have one for towing the jetski and he went all over Europe in his on family holidays.

Cheap to insure too.
Old 14 May 2012, 06:55 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Default 8 seats

We just bought this, luv it, we have had quite a few different 8 seater vehicles now, any advice needed just ask.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6279.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	8637  
Old 14 May 2012, 07:06 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

don't but a citroen c8. they are sh1te
Old 14 May 2012, 07:23 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go for the toyota, i had a mazda bongo, and although it never broke down i never trusted it as they have head gasket issues and get very hot going up hill, so you need to fit an aftermarket water temp gauge and keep a close eye on it,and flush the cooling system to make sure there are no air air locks, which is a time consuming and laborious process, otherwise it can end in tears, was also quite slow and thirsty.
Old 14 May 2012, 07:36 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Gotta a gree with Bigsinky.......C8 are pretty dire. My advice would be to buy one for peanuts and treat it like a dustbin for as long as you need it then throw it away

Shaun
Old 14 May 2012, 07:59 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Lucidas and estimas are very good, 2.2 diesels have been knwn to have heads issues so watch out. Later petrol ones are good. My Elgrand is the most luxurious but we had a Toyota hi ace regius before and that was brilliant, only problem was some blind woman drove stright into us and wrote my 3 week old mpv off. Go japanese and you wont go far wrong, avoid french or italian.
Old 14 May 2012, 08:28 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Gotta a gree with Bigsinky.......C8 are pretty dire. My advice would be to buy one for peanuts and treat it like a dustbin for as long as you need it then throw it away

Shaun
Thats what the missus wants me to do.
TBH being a bit of a car nut and because the car will be my daily I'd like something nice, something that doesn't shout PEOPLE CARRIER! I want something that is a bit different, can look fairly 'cool' and will last a long time, otherwise its just not worth the effort!

Can't stand all those Toyota, Mazda things. I won't be buying anything thats got a whiff of PSA about it. Been there done that!

I'd love a diesel converted type 2 camper converted to 8 seats but they're way to expensive.........