ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which Impreza for Motorways

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2012, 12:57 PM
simonraper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Impreza for Motorways

Been thinking about this for a while – Myself I do a lot of motorway Mileage – and Occassional I see the odd impreza on the M1 but the usual norm is to have the BMW’s, Audi’s ect – But I’ll stick with my trusty Subaru for now until I get old and boring.
However, which would be better?
I’m not too interested in the MPG but which is better for the vehicle itself.
For example, the sport has no turbo – therefore if you’re constantly driving at 70mph then you’re around 3500 rpm and just keeping the engine at a smooth pace in 5th gear
The Impreza STi’s however do have the 6 gears – I know it’s a shorter shift and the 6th gear isn’t there for going up and down the country with but it’s handy to have, no?
Then you have the WRXs with the 5 gears and again – I would imagine driving at 70mph at 3200rpm – the turbo is wanting to kick in constantly and ready to go – however surely this can’t be good for the turbo especially if you’re doing 200plus miles in one journey – And would this be the same for the STi’s with the Turbo wanting to kick in – or would that 6th gear help in any way?
Just got me thinking thats all - Might be writing complete nonsense - but If I didn't ask I wouldn't find out.

So which is better for those motorway journeys.

I do however oftern see the EVO in the inside lane travelling at around 50mph - either he doesn't want the turbo to blow up or he's running out of petrol!

Cheers
SImon
Old 02 April 2012, 01:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

my advice, get a bmw. much more comfortable, economical and suitable. My e39 cost me 3k 2 years ago and i love it for cruising around in.
Old 02 April 2012, 03:03 PM
wrxolly
Scooby Regular

i had a bugeye gx non turbo 2002, 240 home and back again plus when i was home i did a few miles, about 500 every weekend,it would use a whole tank home and another back to work and that was in 2010 fuel was abit cheaper, a turbo i wouldnt like to think
Old 02 April 2012, 03:26 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simonraper
the turbo is wanting to kick in constantly and ready to go – however surely this can’t be good for the turbo especially if you’re doing 200plus miles in one journey – And would this be the same for the STi’s with the Turbo wanting to kick in – or would that 6th gear help in any way?
Just got me thinking thats all - Might be writing complete nonsense - but If I didn't ask I wouldn't find out.
Sitting on the motorway all day isnt going to harm a turbo, it will be sat spinning quite happily. The turbo "kick in" or boost only happens when the throttle is opened and as you know, cruising on the motorway is done a quite low throttle.

If you can stand the amount of fuel used then a turbo ( either WRX or STI ) is a good car to drive on the motorway, nice load of torque for overtaking etc.
Old 02 April 2012, 03:53 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

my 2.5 6 speed hawk is great on motorways. has instant power everywhere in the rev range in top gear.
Old 02 April 2012, 04:32 PM
simonraper
Scooby Regular

So doing a lot of miles on these types of vehicles with the turbos does not do any lasting damage to the vehicles / turbos - Just a curious qquestion thats all - so is the STI's better than the WRXs? for the motorways then??

Cheers again.
Old 02 April 2012, 04:59 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

My old GB270 wagon was great for motorway cruising
Smooth, silent and over 30mpg
Old 02 April 2012, 05:01 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go for the newer wrx diesel, budget permitting, unless you fancy spending half your life filling up, remember you will only get 300 per fill and thats taking it VERY easy ALL THE TIME, as soon as you give it a squirt that goes down significantly.

A high spec diesel mondeo is not a bad place to be on the motorway, but i'd opt for a bmw 3 or 5 as you will get a large part of the purchase price back even if you clock the miles up on it, but the value of the scoob will fall through the floor..

But hey it's your money, not mine.
Old 02 April 2012, 05:05 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Later hawkeye's have the longer 6th gear so revs are at there lowest .
Old 02 April 2012, 07:17 PM
simonraper
Scooby Regular

Nah I do have a subaru - However it is a sport - Hence why I was wondering which is a better car for the motorways - with both the WRX & STIs have the turbos does it do them any good just ticking over.

And was the STI a better car for having the 6th gear.

i will end up getting a Turbo - Im aiming for this October - however just wondering which would be the better car - or just run the sport into the ground?

I did look at the diesels imprezas 50mpg is good however - very expensive to buy in the first place and because quite limited in manufacturing - will these cars hold thier value?
Old 02 April 2012, 09:28 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simonraper
Been thinking about this for a while – Myself I do a lot of motorway Mileage – and Occassional I see the odd impreza on the M1 but the usual norm is to have the BMW’s, Audi’s ect – But I’ll stick with my trusty Subaru for now until I get old and boring.
However, which would be better?
I’m not too interested in the MPG but which is better for the vehicle itself.
For example, the sport has no turbo – therefore if you’re constantly driving at 70mph then you’re around 3500 rpm and just keeping the engine at a smooth pace in 5th gear
The Impreza STi’s however do have the 6 gears – I know it’s a shorter shift and the 6th gear isn’t there for going up and down the country with but it’s handy to have, no?
Then you have the WRXs with the 5 gears and again – I would imagine driving at 70mph at 3200rpm – the turbo is wanting to kick in constantly and ready to go – however surely this can’t be good for the turbo especially if you’re doing 200plus miles in one journey – And would this be the same for the STi’s with the Turbo wanting to kick in – or would that 6th gear help in any way?

So which is better for those motorway journeys.

I do however oftern see the EVO in the inside lane travelling at around 50mph - either he doesn't want the turbo to blow up or he's running out of petrol!

Cheers
SImon

my classic runs at 80 mph at around 3000 rpm
now its has a 6 speed box fitted and 80 is around 3100 or so !!
Old 02 April 2012, 10:50 PM
struan80
Scooby Newbie

Having tried a wide variety of cars over the years I would say that an Impreza, of any description, is not ideal for the motorway. I would definately choose something else if a I had to do motorways each day.

But thankfully I live in Aberdeenshire, so my wrx does me just fine.

I would therefore recommend that you keep a Subaru and get a new job in the country, travelling to work can become fun then perhaps

Last edited by struan80; 02 April 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02 April 2012, 11:12 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Id be tempted to look at the Legacy for Motorway miles
Old 02 April 2012, 11:18 PM
...seamus...
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a wrx with PPP - picking it up tomorrow - I do a mix of motorway, a406, a1 driving and really toyed with the idea of a 120d - the idea of a remap to 7s 0-60 and 50mpg sounded really tempting - but then they upped my mileage allowance at work to 35ppm and hopefully they are going to reduce my area as i'm covering SW London from NE London/Essex

I know i'm going to eating pretty much all of that 35ppm every time I drive to a customer with the wrx but, damn, you only live once and although i'm nearly 40 I cant throw in the towel yet

besides when it snows I can still get to work so that makes it a practical car imo lol

as for it not being a motorway car ... well, you cant drive on the motorway all the time and if I really like it after 6 months and decide to keep her then i'll consider an LPG conversion ;O)
Old 03 April 2012, 04:09 PM
lee67
Scooby Regular

imo i reckon the scoobys are good motorway munchers...ive seen 32mpg with mine on long runs...comfy and plenty o power if needed...simon in the current climate and with the mileage u do id be inclined to keep the sport m8
Old 03 April 2012, 04:33 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

plus 1 for the mk IV diesel Legacy; and great with a Litchfield remap.
Old 03 April 2012, 05:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Hawk STis are great for motorway work in terms of their gearing and powerbands, but the std suspension is awful...contantly bobbing front end and very bouncy! Replace that with decent coilovers and the problem is solved.

Really though there are much better cars for motorway work than a scoob!
Old 03 April 2012, 09:37 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

i checked my hawkeye sti on the way home today, at 75mph its doing 2600rpm, i average 25-26 running around town, id expect around 30ish on motorways all day. ive had a few different cars over the years since i had my last scoob 4 years ago, you will never beat a scooby for smiles
Old 03 April 2012, 10:26 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hawk STis are great for motorway work in terms of their gearing and powerbands, but the std suspension is awful...contantly bobbing front end and very bouncy! Replace that with decent coilovers and the problem is solved.

Really though there are much better cars for motorway work than a scoob!
Cant speak for standard sti suspension but the RB320 rides beautifully.
Old 03 April 2012, 10:58 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by chopperman
That'll be the bespoke Prodrive Dampers and Springs, mate.

Trust me, the std car is shocking (bouncy and crashy and the front end bobbing drives you to distraction). The prodrive springs by themselves don't sort it, although are a definite improvement.
Old 04 April 2012, 07:41 AM
simonraper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
I would love the RB - however I thinking more WR1 now... Just trying to find one with decent mileage.

Its making an interesting topic .

Thanks for all the positive comments.
Old 04 April 2012, 07:51 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Buying a limited addition and adding serious mileage to it wont do you any favour for re-sale.

For examples Ive seen recently:
2006 Spec D with low-mid mileage = <£10k
2006 Spec D with high miles and even with engine rebuild = 5.5k>

Same for WR1's that I have seen.

Rob
Old 04 April 2012, 10:56 AM
simonraper
Scooby Regular

who knows then Rob - but it was a worth while topic to ask -.
Old 04 April 2012, 12:50 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

I agree with Tidgy, if you want a cruiser for motorway miles then you are looking in the wrong place with Subaru's. Something German is what you want.
Old 04 April 2012, 02:27 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

for whats its worth i do 140 a day in mine 2011 saloon and its fine, get 300 to the tank easy enough to drive, and has that fun factor when you leave motorway.

But that beign said id love a new 525d auto as im a lazy git

As for gearbox not that much init really, I did have the WRX-S 5 speed and alwasy wondered if that 6th gear made much diff,

It doesnt LOL revs nearly the same, and i,ll never get to 160 MPH, the WRX maxed at 129 due to gears.