Impreza Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2011, 09:53 AM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza Dilemma

Morning guys,

Well, I'm in a bit of a pickle with what to do with my car really, it is a JDM 98 Impreza STi. As some of you might have read, I blew my original engine up a couple of months back, and since have spent over £3000 on buying a replacement stronger, lower mileage engine, RCM400 turbo, RCM fuel pump, Apexi PFC and mapping session with Bob Rawle, along with lots of other goodies etc and now the car is an absolute dream to drive!

The problem is, I have spent so much money on it now, I have left myself a little short, and I am moving to Canada mid next year, and I am slightly regretting ploughing all my money into the car. I say slightly because although I know I shouldn't have, I love the car so much and I really wanted it back better than ever.

The dilemma I have is this, I know Impreza's aren't selling well at all these days. I don't really want to get rid of it at all, as I have just got it back perfect, and I absolutely love the car. I also know that if I was to sell the car, chances are, I wouldn't get much more than what I have just ploughed into it. But, with that said, I know I really should start considering my options with my move coming up, and just wanted a few opinions on what to do.

Do I break it, or try and sell it as a whole?

I really don't want to break it, as it really is a great example, and is a real gem, but I will have to work out what will be more financially viable. Also, don't really have space to break the car, so that's a nightmare too.

I am so gutted to be even writing this, but just wanted to see what you guys recommend. Is the market really that dry for these beauties right now?

Cheers guys,

David
Old 08 November 2011, 10:04 AM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

Breaking a car is good option providing you have space and time, the main parts will sell pretty quickly but certain things will be hanging around for a while.

If I was you, I'd take the car to Canada with me!!
Old 08 November 2011, 10:08 AM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan@Indigo-GT
Breaking a car is good option providing you have space and time, the main parts will sell pretty quickly but certain things will be hanging around for a while.

If I was you, I'd take the car to Canada with me!!
I would love to take it mate, but I'm going out there on a Student Visa for a year, with pretty limited funds, with the hope I can find a job out there and get sponsored for the rest of my stay. Obviously that's the long term plan anyway, think it will be bar work for the short term
Old 08 November 2011, 11:20 AM
scatty
Scooby Regular

id try selling first, it would be a shame after the work you have put in to break it...there may be someone out there waiting for this car....worth a try, wont cost you owt on pistonheads.....
Old 08 November 2011, 11:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

TRY to sell it, but don't expect to get back even a part of what you have put into it.

Could you mothball it when you go, then, if you DO get to stay, get a trusted friend to do the breaking for some of the dosh?

That would mean that YOU still have the car if you dont stay in Canada.
Old 08 November 2011, 12:11 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

I couldn't afford to keep the car and go over there unfortunately, as the sale of the car will be funding the majority of my initial travel capital.

I bought the car for £4000 and have since spent ~£3200 = £7200.

If I was to sell, I'd probably ask somewhere ~£4200 ovno. Opinions on the price?

Spec as follows:

98 JDM Import Impreza STi Version 4
Metalic Black (will get real paint code / name if I do chose to sell it)
Bodywork in immaculate condition with no rust etc
Shell clocks read 120,000 Kilometers, new engine has covered 60k miles.

A little message about the current engine from the previous owner on here:

Engine work was done about 18 months ago and the car's done 7000 miles since, but for the whole time the engine has been running on a good map done by Simon Roe aka jollygreenmonster, so hasn't been subjected to any knock. I also had a phormula knock meter fitted, so I'm absolutely definate that there was no knock

The engine wasn't stripped due to damage, but to inspect it before upgrading the turbo etc to make sure all was well internally, and upgrade the headgasket and bolts to ensure it could be reliably run at 1.4 bar of boost with no fear of headgasket faliure.

The engine was totally stripped, and inspected thoroughly. The bottom end bearings were perfect and were reused. This was because Sti bearings are matched perfectly to the engine, and even fitting ACL race bearings will not be as good as the originals, unless the originals are worn. Quite a few of the top tuners will tell you this also.

Rings were inspected and gapped, and also found to be perfect, and the bottom end was built back up using all genuine Subaru gaskets.

The heads were also stripped and inspected, given a very light skim to ensure flatness, the valves were lapped in, and re-shimmed using genuine Subaru shims, and were fitted back to the block using Uprated Cometic 1.6mm metal headgaskets and uprated ARP Studs were used to replace the head bolts.

All new Genuine Subaru rocker gaskets etc were fitted, including every gasket on the rockers and heads, these will often leak on Subarus, and can actually drip on the exhaust headers and start a fire. Obviously these are not leaking, and will last for a good few years yet.

Genuine Subaru cambelt and tensioners were fitted, so won't need replacing for some time.

The exhaust headers were ported to match the exhaust ports of the heads, and fitted with genuine subaru gaskets. also the bottom of the up-pipe was matched to the headers, and fitted with a genuine gasket also. This helps the turbo spool up much quicker

New plugs were fitted of the next grade to standard, to cope with running higher boost with a mapped engine.

As I said, it has been mapped ever since it was built, and I've had no problems with it whatsoever, and it hasn't been using any oil.

It's had an oil change at 3250 miles, and again at 6500, and has done a further 500 miles since, so won't beneeding an oil change for some time. It has a genuine subaru filter and silkolene pro r oil.

Engine is now running on an Apexi Power FC mapped by Bob Rawle.

Engine was fitted by Darren @ DLM Motors (Recommended by and works with Harvey Smith)

Mods:
ARP Head Studs
1.6mm Cometic Head Gaskets
All gaskets and washers replaced with genuine Subaru items
Fuelab fuel pressure regulare + gauge
Apexi Power FC + Commander mapped by Bob Rawle
Parallel fuel line modification
RCM400 Turbo (covered ~5000 miles)
RCM fuel pump
GFB Bovus Maximus Blowoff valve
Top mount intercooler splitter
3" japspeed downpipe + Ninja downpipe back exhaust (All decatted)
Headers and up-pipe ported by previous engine owner who is a progessional a mechanical engineer.
Generic induction kit
Boost, Oil pressure and Oil temp gauges
Greddy turbo timer
Earthing Kit
Nardi suede steering wheel
Tinted windows all round
Midnight roof lining (black felt roof lining)
Standard STi suspension and front strut brace
Rear aftermarket strut brace
18" Inovit ST6 Alloy wheels (Volk TE37 replica)

Sure there are a few things I've missed out, but fairly sure I've covered the important stuff.

So, going by the spec, does the price seem fair? Just don't want to put it up at an unrealistic price.

Cheers
Old 08 November 2011, 12:37 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

Not really too much of a dilemma from what I can see? Dependant on time scales on your move to Canada, give it a few months up for sale and if no joy and absolutely need to then break her.

Is the move to Canada a must or is it a want?
Old 08 November 2011, 12:59 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

If yr leaving family back in the UK why don't you SORN the car. A lot of my mates did that when we moved to study. If u love the car and have put so much effort in it then its a no brainer. But choose breaking as your last resort.
Old 08 November 2011, 01:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nossy: he's wanting to sell the car to fund his travels.

In that case, sell, but don't expect to recoup any of your investment in upgrades.

TBH, this looks like another carefully hidden "For Sale" thread
Old 08 November 2011, 01:48 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

That was my thought as well .....
Old 08 November 2011, 01:48 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

I must have miss read or something. Didn't realise.
Old 08 November 2011, 02:25 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Nossy: he's wanting to sell the car to fund his travels.

In that case, sell, but don't expect to recoup any of your investment in upgrades.

TBH, this looks like another carefully hidden "For Sale" thread
Why would I do that? I'm a paid member of the site and could have put it up for sale in the for sale section if I wanted? I was asking for opinions on the best way to go about a sale, and recommendation on price given the condition and spec. Come on mate, we're not all bad you know.
Old 08 November 2011, 02:40 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fragmau5
Why would I do that? I'm a paid member of the site and could have put it up for sale in the for sale section if I wanted?
Thats what I thought. I'd understand if it was a complete n00b with no access.

As regards to the car, I'd find every possible way to keep it. Because the way things are going, there aren't many classic's making over 3k, barring Type R's/P1's.
So breaking would be your best best for maximum money back, as mentioned, give it a try for sale 1st.
Old 08 November 2011, 02:46 PM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

Ha ha, think the mods could be moving this one.
Old 08 November 2011, 02:53 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monkfish2
Ha ha, think the mods could be moving this one.
Old 08 November 2011, 03:13 PM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you are so poor I don't think it was a wise move spending all that money on an engine just to sell the car. If you were going to keep it for a couple of years that would be different. Stick it on pistonheads and bite the hand off the first person to off £3.5k.
Old 08 November 2011, 07:16 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would of thought 2000-2500 price range it's 13 years old
Prices are all £1500-£2500 for classics now

Better off getting a cheap bank loan for your time abroad and keeping the scooby sworn