ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

05 WRX Query

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2011, 08:57 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 WRX Query

About to pick one up this weekend, anything I should be aware of? Any recommended subtle mods don't want to do too much as it's going to be my second / winter car? Do the cars look better with 18 inch wheels or are the standard ones OK?
Old 05 January 2011, 09:14 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

imo 18" fill the arches better. Imprezas are very reliable cars, so not much to look out for apart from the usual on any car, i.e. odd noises or smoke, odd tyre wear, accident damage etc. Modified cars will obviously be under more mechanical stress than standard. Good luck with your new motor. Assuming it is standard, I would go for a mild tune i.e. exhaust, fuel pump, filter & remap to around 280ish and some brake improvements i.e. better pads. anything more and it will need proper attention to the brakes and handling.
Old 05 January 2011, 09:18 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

When I had mine I fitted sti sideskirts and winglets then sti wheels and front brembo calipers and discs. Also i then fitted ppp backbox,centrecat delete,intercooler hose and ecu, overall I had improved looks performance and stopping and the car was totally transformed. I then added rear tints which I also liked. But everyone has there own taste with mods
Old 05 January 2011, 09:52 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I've had my 55 WRX PPP for 4 years. Knocking rear shocks at 10k, rust on Prodrive back box about it I think.Now running Milltek 3" decat, including up pipe, VF35, STI pinks, Walbro fuel pump. Eibach springs, 24mm rear ARB with solid droplinks 18" wheels, DBA discs with DS2500 pads, braided hoses. Front splitter,lower grille, debadged, black mudflaps. Still love it... If you fit 18" wheels,you will need to lower it, otherwise it looks as though its on stilts.
Old 05 January 2011, 09:53 PM
mmcd87
Scooby Regular

Assuming it is a facelift car (facelift dash, auto aircon, red calipers) watch for the dreaded knocking rear shocks.

Check the oil in it - the dipstick can give a good idea of how it's been looked after. Is it low/overfilled? If on the high side you might need to clean the MAF, boost solenoid etc...

Check up behind the rear arches (maybe take a small mirror) as it's amazing how much dirt gets up there but there should be no issues.

Check the foglamps aren't cracked and work ok.

Ask the owner to take you out to get an idea of how he drives it - you don't want him thrashing it from cold and switching it off straight after a hard run. Ask what fuel he uses.

Tell him you want the engine stone cold for when you arrive. Remember when you switch it off to wait 30secs or so and attempt to restart to check hot starting.

Try and get one with lots of service history - check when the timing belt was last done and last major service. Take a flathead screwdriver so you can pop open the airbox and get a peek at the filter.

I struggled to find any meaningful buyers guides for the newage cars so can't help you there.
Old 05 January 2011, 10:10 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Car is at Subaru dealership but only offering 3 months warranty which seemed odd though would come with 12 months maybe because of the age? She has done less than 24k miles and has already had the cambelt done presumably due to age rather than mileage. Apparently has a prodrive exhaust fitted as an upgrade - does this improve performance on its own? What 18 inch wheels look good? Don't mind the stilts if it means higher ground cleareance as that is all part of the winter use - where we live the snow stays as snow for weeks as no one clears it so car needs to at least be high enough which is one of the reasons I went for the car.
Old 05 January 2011, 10:35 PM
mmcd87
Scooby Regular

I think the standard wheels look pretty good, and if its a winter car you might be better sticking with them rather than 18" which will run a lower profile. You will get a better choice of winter tyres too probably.

Prodrive exhaust won't give much on its own if it's just the backbox, maybe a few hp with the decat you get on the PPP pack. They sound nice though, and not too loud on the inside.
Old 05 January 2011, 11:20 PM
CHOLTON
Scooby Regular

I got 6 months warranty from Subaru dealership in Derby on my Blob STI , that was in september but i guess the offers may change from dealer to dealer . Worth a mention maybe ???