Sponsored by:

best place to start? tuning tips

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2010, 02:59 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best place to start? tuning tips

Hi fellow scooby fans, Just thought i would pick you're brains & get some opinions from those in the know. I have a 96' sti wrx classic import, engine wise its pretty standard, putting out roughly 251bhp, 205lbs/ft torque on the RR at Torque of the devil. This is a car that i only use for trackdays & trips to Nurburgring.
I have since fitted a large front mount IC as the standard item developed a hole. Along with a Japspeed alloy rad when mine gave up.
My aim is to modify the engine over the winter to improve power output - Im aiming for roughly 300-350bhp which i feel will be perfect for my use. No i have looked into this over time, using the search function etc but still not 100% sure which is the best route, any ideas?

Which turbo is best?
I have a 3'' decat system & uppipe but still standard headers, are these worth changing?
Also been told that my ecu is not mappable so what are the best options regarding ecu choice?
Fuel pump upgrade? - Would injectors be ok or would they need upgrading?
I need to keep this to a budget of some description too

What are you're thoughts?
Old 20 November 2010, 05:40 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Done some more research, the shopping list that i have come up with so far is....

Bigger turbo...TD05 16G from what i can make of it??
Larger injectors
Fuel pressure regulator
Uprated fuel pump
Simtek ecu... seems to be the most common

And after all thats fitted, re-map by JGM i reckon?

One more question, would it be worth doing the fuel rail mod along with this work?

Cheers in advance.
Old 20 November 2010, 06:07 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My thoughts are - with out knowing too much about your car.

Turbo TD05 16G
550 injectors
Fuel pressure regulator - Fuelabs
Uprated fuel pump - Walbor 255
Simtek ecu - Seriously Consider Syvecs as well.
3 port boost solinoid
Exhaust manifold at that power - Get Harvey to port it.

MY96 - Consider that you have TY752 box in it? so perhaps aim for 300hp. which you could do on 440injectors and a VF28/24.

On a budget - I would see what box and clutch you have in it - work out what they can realisticaly take and still be relaible and then modify the engine to suit.

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 20 November 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 20 November 2010, 06:51 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Good info there, cheers. I still have standard gearbox in it as far as im aware - Where will the plate be to say what it is?
I do have an invoice somewhere for an uprated clutch that was fitted a few months before i bought the car nearly two years ago.
Just looking on JGM website, do we get any sort of discount being members on here?
Old 20 November 2010, 07:26 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by super_ted
Good info there, cheers. I still have standard gearbox in it as far as im aware - Where will the plate be to say what it is?
I do have an invoice somewhere for an uprated clutch that was fitted a few months before i bought the car nearly two years ago.
Just looking on JGM website, do we get any sort of discount being members on here?
Best thing to do is email Simon and find out what he would charge you.
The plate is on the front strut towner at the back on the engine bay, it is the same one as with the engine number. Offside I think from memory. The code should start TY752.
Any paperwork to suggest a new gearbox? If not I suppose you need to assume it is the origonal one.

Have you got four pot brakes on the front?
Old 20 November 2010, 07:35 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Getting an increase in power is good, but sorting the handling will be equally as good. Being able to hold the speed through the corners will be more productive than being able to accelerate quicker on the straights only having to brake hard prior to the corner. My first thing to do would be change all the suspension bushes for Powerflex or equivalent to tighten up the suspension and keep the geometry as set. An improved suspension setup would then be my next step followed by a brake upgrade prior to a power increase.
With my bugeye STi I thought like you power first, but once tuned to 360 bhp I found the handling was the let down as I could get to speed on the straights but could not carry it. I then worked my way through the suspension doing bushes then fitting Tein Coilovers after this due to my turbo dying I then took the power route, I now push out 416 bhp with a car that can handle the power.
Hope this gives you a insight into another opinion. Steve
Old 21 November 2010, 11:28 AM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve, handling wise was all sorted by previous owner who has spent alot of time & money on that side of things. I have also spent a lot of time this year getting it set up right, so no worries there.
Car is fully stripped & caged also. I have four pots on the front, two pots on the back, Hel braided lines, just removed abs(as its never worked properly anyway) & fitted willwood bias valve.
Im going to send an email over to simon this afternoon.
Old 29 November 2010, 12:11 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard turbo is a td05 16g, this will do 340bhp... and so I wouldn't worry about changing it at this point.

If you went 550cc injectors then a fuel pressure reg is only a nice to have, not essential.

Walbro pump deffo worth it.

imho to get most from it you may want to consider tubular headers but depends on your budget, these will drop the torque a little but improve power.

Ported ones do also work well but horsepower gain is lower but usually response and torque can be improved.

Will reply to your pm now

Simon