Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2010, 06:01 PM
stonk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie

hello all just joined site. ive recently became the owner of a 1999 2000 awd wagon . i said when i was 45 i would have one after having bikes since a kid i have the need for speed. but im way in the dark with subarus. firstly i need to service her it came with full history but now due im prity good with spanners etc but could do with the dos and donts. im doing full service including cam belt ???????????? i belive its the ej205 model if that makes sense, then comes the mods what can i do theres so much out there but again im lost so any info in that field would be great .idont want to go the full wack just a little bit quicker smoother etc. the car is standard with a forged dump valve
Old 16 October 2010, 06:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Well where to start, I feel like you have just opened a can of worms
oil changes, lots of info on this, I would look at getting the oil pump changed for an uprated item tbh, they get tired and have a tendancy to jam, that causes engine failures then there is the oil change procedure (my garage always uses it ) where you dry crank the engine after filling/fitting the oil filter, but there is plenty on that if you search for oil change procedure
The EJ205 is the phase 2 (not sure it was on the phase 1.5 engines) block designation for a UK/Aus engine, the JDM cars of the same year have an EJ207.
Your re circ (well it should be a re circ) valve wont be a forge item, just a standard one which does the job pretty well tbh with you
You need to watch out for oiled panel filters and induction kits on these cars, the maf sensors are a little suseptable to vibration/contamination and that kills them its probably worth changing it if its been in there 10 years, when they fail its normally terminal

Tony
Old 16 October 2010, 07:19 PM
stonk
Scooby Regular

Default thanks

thanks for the info the dump vavle thats on there is diffrent to a standard one. after looking at one . but there is a hose which i think might have been conected to the standaed one this has been taped up dont like that there are a few niggels firstly when cold it revs high you dont really have to use much throttle to drive it. when its warm its ok ?? also on warm up there is a squeak which only lasts a few seconds, the revs go up then it stops. i had a quick look and it seemed to be coming from inside timming cover right hand side standing in front of car.ive heard about a turbo boost controler any good . i would be greatful on best maff sensor /oilpumps to replace
Old 16 October 2010, 07:47 PM
deano27
Scooby Regular

welcome to the site mate
Old 16 October 2010, 07:58 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the site, I'm also new here and new to owning an Impreza but have previously had a Forester with a similar kind of turbocharged lump in it. My advice would be to focus on the absolute basics of the car, get the manual and find the bodges/worn/incorrect parts do the stuff mentioned above and see where your'e at. The blow off valve combined with the recycling hose being bodged might not be helping the engine idle correctly.

Most of all have a stack of fun even when it all goes wrong lol

all the best

Tim
Old 16 October 2010, 08:24 PM
stonk
Scooby Regular

cheers any ideas what can be done with that hose what normaly happens with it should i change the valve dont no what the one fitted is
Old 16 October 2010, 09:17 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming when you say forged it's possibly a forge atmospheric blow off valve that's an after market mod. The original valve would have a output which the hose normally clamps to, so the discharge is sent quietly packing back into the system. You would do well to purchase another valve that has the recirculating output, they have them on most sites that sell the atmospheric dump versions, an original spec one if you can find one at a breakers or second hand parts distributor.

regards

Tim
Old 17 October 2010, 11:10 AM
stonk
Scooby Regular

cheers theres so much out there for these cars i want to do what i can just to up the performance a bit .its a bit slugish up until about 3 thousand revs then it goes , but not nowing much about them im a bit stuck so ill do service cam belt new leads and take it from there i think, but one things for sure im very impressed with what ive got thay live up to what i wanted
Old 17 October 2010, 11:16 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with the car, I found it very useful reading as much from the service manual to learn about the spec and all the info that's available about the car's performance as my last Subaru was set up totally different to my current one and pulled from a lot lower down the rev range, but now I know the characteristics of my latest car I don't find my self expecting fireworks when there clearly shouldn't be any, so just a case of knowing how to get the best from the engine through experience.

all the best

Tim
Old 17 October 2010, 12:29 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

welcome and hope u have many hours of happy motoring,lots of nice and helpfull people on here.
Old 17 October 2010, 01:33 PM
stonk
Scooby Regular

yep i suppose thats right trial and error but not to much error ive looked into this dump vavle, and its a bailys with no re- circ so ive found one on ebay new with the outlet for the re-circ hose looks better . one thing im having trouble finding is a manual i.e haynes . theres loads more ineed to find out but ill do one thing at at time thanks for all the info first class site c heers stonk
Old 17 October 2010, 01:36 PM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

welcome aboard mate I'm new myself
Old 17 October 2010, 02:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RCM do an uprated oil pump and the low down hesitation will probably need looking at by a speciallist/dealer, it could be a number of things, the maf is one of them, but to be sure its off to the above.

Tony