ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hawk Wings

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2010, 07:47 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk Wings

I'm toying with the idea of an alternative rear wing for my Hawkeye, but not sure if I'd do better investing that cash under the bonnet, now I have the car breathing as well I am likely to want to utilise by way of further tuning.

Yes, some of the wings I've seen here on earlier models look great on those cars, I can't quite get my head around how a big rear wing might look on my car as I like the reasonably clutter free understated look, which I plan enhancing with some darker coloured 18" wheels ready for when the weather is sensible again. Just wondering what others think about big rear wings on the Hawkeye?

Old 12 October 2010, 08:01 PM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

I think the STI wing looks good but they aren't for me, I prefer something more understated. Thats why I've stuck with the original low level one like yours.
Old 12 October 2010, 08:12 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Is that harwich mate ?
Old 12 October 2010, 08:19 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Cheers, I'll take a look at the STI wing, and see how it might look on my car.

Yep, that's Harwich with Felixstowe in the background.
Old 12 October 2010, 08:36 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I have a carbon fibre Kakumei S204 spoiler on my Spec C, not as high level as an STi spoiler and not too many about. I prefer it as it is not so 'in your face', would look good on a Hawkeye as well.

Below is a link to the Members Gallery thread

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ew-wheels.html
Old 12 October 2010, 08:55 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

From harwich myself, now live in Portsmouth ;-)

Regards
Neil 06 2.5 WRX PPP
Old 12 October 2010, 09:11 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Good to meet you Neil, the place hasn't changed a great deal lol.

Regards, Tim

Cannon Fodder, that spoiler looks great on your car, I just had a quick look around and they're asking for, just shy of £400 for a glass version, which makes me think that the carbon version if I could find one, will be megga-bucks which might provide me with a bigger smile if I tucked it neatly into the engine bay. I recently put the carbon splitter on the front of mine so would be fairly receptive to the idea of some additional carbon parts on my car. However I think it would need to be a second hand one if I went for the wing as I reckon £600+ as a guestimate, for a complete wing. I've just seen carbon risers for the existing wing which might be worth exploring.

I also noticed that identical styling products vary tremendously in price, as if some retailers have a hat full of prices which are picked at random for the items on sale lol. I'm getting to know which companies are having laugh and which are genuine.

many thanks

Tim
Old 12 October 2010, 09:19 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I think I paid just $450 plus shipping for the S204 spoiler, I think that all-in inc taxes it was £400. I got it from eBay they also do a fibre glass version but I think the carbon fibre version is best.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem...poiler&emvcc=0
Old 12 October 2010, 09:21 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

few photos of my WRX on this thread with a prodrive wing. have you thought of some foglight covers to clean the look up

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...rcm-style.html
Old 12 October 2010, 09:49 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks Cannon, the link came up as item not available, but I did another search and found another carbon wing which I apparently need to go to China to get lol, just discussing it with the wife lol. I can import it for about £100 on top of the price, looks like a nice piece of carbon. Much to ponder, many thanks.

F1, great looking car, yes I've thought about the fog light covers, elusive little chappies they are, but can be found eventually. I'm still on the hunt for a decent place that's fairly local for getting such items sprayed and lacquered so currently deferring anything that involves the blue stuff, unless already colour coded. I don't think my marriage would sustain the amount of engine work you've had done on your car, but I have time on my hands lol, and what's under the bonnet tends to slip by unnoticed lol.

Many thanks for the replies

all the best

Tim
Old 12 October 2010, 10:10 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

This looks interesting
Old 12 October 2010, 10:15 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Sorry try this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...Q5fAccessories
Old 12 October 2010, 10:19 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, got the page now, any issues with buying from overseas? You certainly set me in the right direction, just need to ponder and maybe get some shots of the car at the right angles so I can photoshop the wings on lol
Old 12 October 2010, 10:38 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

None whatsoever, I got sent a tracking number and it arrived within a week (faster than some UK suppliers), Kakumei make good quality products and the finish is excellent.

I have checked it against a genuine S204 spoiler and they are exactly the same, I would not be surprised if they Kakumei manufactured them for Subaru.
Old 12 October 2010, 10:41 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Cheers, that's a great help, I need to have a good think and arrive at a decision. I'll sleep on it lol

all the best

Tim
Old 12 October 2010, 11:01 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Nice Tim! I prefer the present understated look. "Less is more" Will it change the handling? If not, spend your money on something that will; although dark alloys might change my mind, as they look fantasic.
Cheers, Caleb
Old 12 October 2010, 11:16 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

the cover come from subaru as a pair at around £80 and they come colour coded. i can hunt down the parts number if needed i like spending other peoples money

I would be very care full of carbon products from china, its a long way to go back if the carbon is S*** quality.

Originally Posted by awdx4
Thanks Cannon, the link came up as item not available, but I did another search and found another carbon wing which I apparently need to go to China to get lol, just discussing it with the wife lol. I can import it for about £100 on top of the price, looks like a nice piece of carbon. Much to ponder, many thanks.

F1, great looking car, yes I've thought about the fog light covers, elusive little chappies they are, but can be found eventually. I'm still on the hunt for a decent place that's fairly local for getting such items sprayed and lacquered so currently deferring anything that involves the blue stuff, unless already colour coded. I don't think my marriage would sustain the amount of engine work you've had done on your car, but I have time on my hands lol, and what's under the bonnet tends to slip by unnoticed lol.

Many thanks for the replies

all the best

Tim
Old 12 October 2010, 11:18 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Sorry didn’t read that post, sounds like they are a safe bet

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
None whatsoever, I got sent a tracking number and it arrived within a week (faster than some UK suppliers), Kakumei make good quality products and the finish is excellent.

I have checked it against a genuine S204 spoiler and they are exactly the same, I would not be surprised if they Kakumei manufactured them for Subaru.
Old 13 October 2010, 01:42 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Either the S204 or the A-Line spoiler are the best for Hawkeyes IMHO.

If you want a huuuge spoiler, consider the prodrive wing as used on the GB270.
Old 13 October 2010, 09:22 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Carbon lifters?
Old 16 October 2010, 10:33 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys, much appreciated BTW Blackhawk your car looks fantastic, and maybe the risers will be where I head. I've come to the conclusion that it's very subjective when dealing with exterior appearance mods. Personally I want to keep the car neat and low key, but don't mind going OTT with how it drives as that's where I'd like the element of intrigue to radiate from when I boot it lol. The covers are a good idea and do look neater on my car than the fogs, so I'll get a set in due course to replace the ones I photoshopped on for the sake of seeing how it will look. I also agree with comments about having darker wheels, and that's a whole other can of worms that's likely to take considerable deliberation. If I stick with 17's I'll get the existing ones stripped and go for gun metal or anthacite for the refurbishment of them. My only qualm with going for 18's is the fact that I use a lumpy track to access the lake where I go fishing and feel a little concerned that the reduced amount of rubber between the ground and rims could be an issue if I drive like a numpty when all excited about going fishing. I also need to be a little disciplined with the cash as it's way too easy to carried away and I think the funds I currently have, with the benefit of discussing it here and pondering will be best spent on getting the car's engine performance raised as far as is sensible with the factory engine. I got the stickers off (right pain on a cold day, wife's hair-dryer prevailed) and think once I have covers like in the picture, it'll look reasonable, and the wheels will finish it off until my next whim.

Many thanks

Tim

Old 16 October 2010, 11:04 AM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

Sorry to take this slightly off topic but where did you get the pink accents in the front grill from Tim?

I wonder if they do them in white
Old 16 October 2010, 12:39 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

No worries mate, I stripped the grills and painted the inner black portions which butt up against the mesh, the trims all come apart, each one is comprised of four or five parts once off the car. I can walk you through it if you fancy having a go with them.
So in respect of colour, anything you like lol.

regards

Tim
Old 16 October 2010, 06:24 PM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

Nice one cheers mate, I might have a go at it myself. I assume rub down and paint is all it needs
Old 16 October 2010, 06:51 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

It's pretty easy, once you've pulled out the visible push in clips along the top of the grilles it's easiest to to remove the side ones before tackling the centre grill assy. I found that by using a well positioned medium, long shafted flat blade driver I could carefully manipulate the captive clips that secure the grille housings from behind and pop the two side ones away without too much fuss. The centre one is a little more stubborn and takes careful alignment to pop it back in, as it has to slide onto another moulding on the front bumper assy when reassembling. Once they are off it's a combination of clips and screws to get them apart. Painting is easy, it's already a matt surface so I used isopropyl alcohol, petrol or similar would be fine to degrease before painting. The only other advice I'd offer is keep paint as much as possible to the area which will be visible, you wont be able to see any bits that go over once it's back together, but I figured that maybe any excess paint might fuse the various parts together and make it a sod to get apart if one had a change of heart or wants to change colour.

For mine I used high temp engine paint for its resistance to chemicals, which was brush on from a tin, then heated it a couple of times as it was drying with a hair-dryer to aid the curing of the paint. I applied it quite heavily as that kind of paint has to be fairly liberally applied to prevent it making the brush stick and causing the finish to be awful. I got mine pretty good, more by luck than judgement and as the paint was thick there was plenty of coverage to enable me to cut the final coat to a mirror finish with a good polish before heating a couple more times to cure it properly.
The barb like captive clips that keep all the bits together are coated in a soft bitumen like material to prevent them vibrating apart, so a little care and protection of the car finish surfaces is essential, and mind that the centre one doesn't come away when least expected and end up going airborne lol. (I caught mine whilst having severe palpitations)

All the best

Tim
Old 16 October 2010, 07:49 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it looks good as it is. Invest in some black flaps, Prodrive springs and some meatier wheels and enjoy.

Low level spoilers FTW

Old 16 October 2010, 08:00 PM
vince-sti02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by awdx4

This looks interesting
I have one of these but an original one from subaru if you are interested...?
Old 16 October 2010, 08:02 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Cheers 53, nicely understated look to your car, but business like when one looks at the visible details. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Tim
Old 16 October 2010, 08:09 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Vince, I was just on my way off the pc, my 4 four year old daughter requires bed time stories, but I much appreciate you replying and mentioning the spoiler. I will need to discuss with you in more detail and will do so in the very near future.

Thanks, spk soon

Tim
Old 16 October 2010, 08:10 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Grilles look good I debadged mine last year

Quick Reply: Hawk Wings