Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To sell or not sell? Fuel costs.

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2010, 08:50 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To sell or not sell? Fuel costs.

Im the proud owner of 2001 bug WRX, stunning looking car, blue with the gold wheels etc, loud exhaust and i love it......... except........ i can only drive it about 1 day a week!

I do 30 miles commute 5 days a week and a drive around on weekends usually means im doing about £60 a week in fuel, as im only on 15K a year it means that by the time i get to work and back, im probably getting less than minimum wage! If i remember rightly, when i was using it all the time it was 260miles for £60

Ive got a 1.1 saxo just to get me to work and back which is giving me 450miles to £60 but this means that my baby is just sitting in the garage depreciating. I paid £4200 last year and reckon i would struggle to get that now.....?

I know it had an ecutek remap, upgraded turbo uppipe and decat before i had it and was pushing 280bhp at some time as theres a RR printout in the paperwork.

What i need to know is, would i ever get any sort of economy out of this car? If i got a standard map put back on maybe? Just seems wrong to go down the motorway in a wobbly saxo revving its **** off at 70 when the scooby could roll along at 70 at 3000 revs and get me there in style.

It's a dilemma, i dont want to sell it.... but.... is there anything else i can do?
Old 24 September 2010, 08:58 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

ive just sold my sti purely because of fuel costs.
i was doing 60miles a day and it was costing me a fortune.
TBH there is really nothing that can be done to up the MPG to any level that you would need.

your ecutek map is probably more economical than the standard map anyhow.

I thought about getting mine mapped on 95 ron fuel but that would only save 3-4quid max per tank.
it would have taken months just to get the cost of the map back!.

I bought a bmw 325i not the most economical of cars but a hell of alot better than the scoob on fuel.

Last edited by mrmarc; 08 May 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 24 September 2010, 08:59 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Part time job?

No two ways about it mate, they arent good on petroleum
Old 24 September 2010, 09:08 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Im not sure if mine has an issue anyway because the emmissions were miles off on MOT, tho perhaps thats because of de-cat? Ive even considered LPG but i dont trust it on a beast like that.

Ive now ended up with the scooby, the s reg saxo and a p reg corsa (plus a part built kit car) but thinking about selling them all (except kit car) and getting a zetec s TDCI fiesta or similar. A big step down in performance though. But i could have the kit car as a toy i guess.

What sort of money do bug wrx fetch now? Y reg, 89k new mot 5m tax, recent service and timing belt (self done but with pics and receipt). I might blast it around locally when wales rally GB is on, see if anyone fancies one!
Old 24 September 2010, 09:11 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

get yourself a scrapper for the week and the scoob for playtime...
Old 24 September 2010, 09:28 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Got 2 of them scatty, crap cars depress me tho lol
Old 24 September 2010, 09:51 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

i got a bug wrx thats only used at the weekends was in two minds to sell it but just couldnt bring myself to do it so going track car route. At the moment its off the road so the money i spend on insurance an fuel ect is going on mods ready for tracking next year and now i cycle to work gone from 280bhp to 1bmp lucky works not that far away for me
Old 24 September 2010, 10:18 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

if i worked nearer i would keep it, definately. Probably better off leaving the IT job 15miles away and get a job sweeping hair in the barbers around the corner, less travel and more take-home

Could also start a business selling pubic wigs!!!
Old 24 September 2010, 11:47 PM
Mogsmex
Scooby Regular

I used to have a plie of crap for getting to work in but when you work out the tax/mot/going wrong of driving another car you may as well just put the extra 15 squid a week in the impreza and have fun

a lot depends on your driving style as well, I meant to take a pic yesterday when I filled up as it was my record 354 miles when I bottled it and put fuel in, mines an 01 WRX as well with PPP part of that tank was playing with a DB7 on some fast A roads through norfolk Tuesday last night, but If I'm not playing I stay off boost, makes a differance and you can still make good progress
Old 24 September 2010, 11:55 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

You should've taken a photo! if i could get that i would keep it! Even when i try to be careful i can hear the turbo whirring away if im going over 30/40mph! Havent got a boost gauge tho so i dont know exactly what its doing and when.

Its payday monday so might just try putting £20 in and driving it as lightly as i possibly can and see what it gives me compared to the 150miles on the saxo.

How did you do with the DB7 by the way?
Old 25 September 2010, 12:00 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

2001 bug with re-map is going to see 28 MPG as the original map was pretty conservative.

I would have thought that MPG would be dwarfed by insurance, service and other costs.

Shaun
Old 25 September 2010, 12:07 AM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

i dont find all that so bad, £630 fully comp for insurance, £150 for parts on last service and timing belt change as i did it all myself. Must admit that my arsehole was doing 50p/20p/50p/20p on the first turn of the key after the timing belt tho! Apart from that its only cost me 2 tyres and a set of discs and pads in the 9 months ive had it. Cant complain! (Except for the fuel lol)
Old 25 September 2010, 12:10 AM
doormatty
Scooby Regular

Funny enough have just sold my scoob for this reason also replaced it with a Alfa GT JTD Cloverlief

But its not the same but i am getting 50+ mpg
which was needed

But now tempted to just buy a classic for a weekend blast
Old 25 September 2010, 12:11 AM
doormatty
Scooby Regular

Funny enough have just sold my scoob for this reason also replaced it with a Alfa GT JTD Cloverlief

But its not the same but i am getting 50+ mpg
which was needed

But now tempted to just buy a classic for a weekend blast
Old 25 September 2010, 12:21 AM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

This is another issue, where do you go from a scooby? as far as performance for price is concerned, i cant see me ever being within reach of such a fun car for the money.

Anything else is going to be a compromise.

Cant keep it forever thought i guess. Maybe i'll just give it one last chance for a month or so and maybe through the winter so i can play in the snow.
Old 25 September 2010, 01:56 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Ive had a few scoobs always run them as a second car would never consider one for a daily drive.
Old 25 September 2010, 02:44 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily drivin just over 12k last yr and just over 3k in fuel aloan, worked out at an average of 21mpg. But on a weekly basis I get from 17-24mpg, if your that botherd about fuel just sell it mate. It's only a car at the end of the day, and fuel is only going to go up.
So wait till your init job pays more or sell on, you can always by again when you have more funds to be able to aford such a car.
Old 25 September 2010, 07:45 AM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

I use my car every day for work and I was doing £50 odd quid for 175 miles, I decided to LPG my car a couple of months ago and I wish I'd done it sooner!

At max power the LPG can't cope and it switches back to petrol but 99% of the time it's fine and you can't really tell the difference.

The conversion cost me £1600 but I'm now doing 175 miles for less than £25, depending on mileage I will break even in less than 12 months.

There's loads of filling stations around and I haven't ran out yet but it's not a problem if I do as it'll run on petrol so it's not like I'll ever get stranded anywhere.
Old 25 September 2010, 07:51 AM
stuartaw11
Scooby Regular

I have used £80 of fuel this week commuting in my classic and have done around 350 miles, I try to keep it sensible on the motorway bits and save the fuel for a blast on the twisty bits! Buying a banger just for work wouldn't be an option bearing mind the initial cost of buying, insurance etc
Old 25 September 2010, 10:36 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

i run a Fiat Panda 100hp daily, and that see's me an average of 43mpg. Tho it does have a small tank, so it feels like your filling it up often, but at £30 a time, its not so bad!

I just use my JDM STi on the odd weekend and track day. Yes its a bit of a waste have such a car, insurance, taxed and with ££££ of mods on it sitting idle for most of the year, but it makes the times i do drive it that extra bit special!!
Old 25 September 2010, 10:39 AM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I run a 1999 1.0L Micra through the week. 46 miles each day, £20 a week. Use my type R on a week end and sunny days.