Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whos sucessfully sold thier car to someone abroad?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2010, 12:47 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos sucessfully sold thier car to someone abroad?

I am fully aware of the scams that are around (at least I think I am)

There is this guy that has appeared on here from Poland who wants to buy my car.

Seems genuine enough but I cannot help thinking it could well be dodgy!

I would be less concerned if he had been here a while, but has only just joined from what I can see and has a total of 1 post.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Chris
Old 28 July 2010, 12:56 PM
newman90
Scooby Regular

what terms is he looking at for buying your car? payment up front etc
Old 28 July 2010, 01:01 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

He is planning to electronically transfer the money to my account. This alone is cause for concern since I will have to divulge my bank details. He is currently in Poland and states he will arrange top have the car picked up and delivered to him.

Supposing the money comes through, is there any way it can be reversed at his end after I have released the car. There must be some time limits to this even if it is possible?
Old 28 July 2010, 01:02 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I have sold two valuable cars abroad, without any issues. Not yet to Poland, but there is a strong demand for particularly JDM cars there.

One of the interested Parties for my 22B was a gentleman off 22b.com who goes by the username on there of "Antoni". Although I sold the car elsewhere, another British 22b.com member vouched for him as he too had sold a car to the same guy without any problems. He just came over with a trailer, paid and left. Try and do a bit of digging on who he is and what he does. There are quite a few Polish importers out there: if your car is UK (i.e. EU) registered then it is easier for them to register it in Poland, now that they are an EU member state, rather than bringing in from Japan and trying to getting a non-homologated car registered themselves.

NB: both sales were cash only!!!!
Old 28 July 2010, 01:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Too much trouble IMHO - would you give your bank details to a stranger in the street? Why doesn't he just buy a Polish car? Is he offering you the full purchase price + a bit extra to pay for delivery Just wait for a UK buyer.

TX.
Old 28 July 2010, 01:57 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Sold two the last one to a guy from the Netherlands. Originaly he wanted to do the same but on the day he was here, after a week or two of emailing I explained if he wanted the car he either came with cash or no deal

If he wants it he will bring cash

I also explained that due to the age we live in and all the scammers around that if he decided to take the car, we would drive to the bank and cash the money, once all funds were secure and taken by the bank I would then sign the logbook over and not a moment before.

Asked him to put the shoe on the other foot, if he had a complete stranger turn up wanting to buy his car, would he risk the chance of him driving off in his 10k and with 10k cash in his pocket.

He acepted and appreciated my point. Guy came with cash the cash the following weekend, top bloke, genuine and still speak to him and his mate.

So not all are scammers you just have to be extra wise and careful
Old 28 July 2010, 02:51 PM
Evo Bizz
Scooby Regular

You are only giving the guy your sort code and account number. They are both on every cheque you have ever written.
Old 28 July 2010, 03:11 PM
newman90
Scooby Regular

Open a seperate account, have the money paid into this account. then transfer it to your Main account, once its in your main account he can pick the car up. and atleast then if its a seperate account with no funds nothing can be lost.
Old 29 July 2010, 08:18 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Still not happy about giving bank details out, even though as you state Evo Bizz, the details are on every cheque. I have 'heard' that this is all some scammers need to empty your bank account.

I've messaged him asking for the person that he was arranging to collect the car to bring me the cash.... not heard anything back from him yet
Old 30 July 2010, 08:21 AM
HRT
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to balance the budget as running two Scoobies

I was actually a purchaser from Cyprus. I flew to the UK, inspected the car, went for a drive and then at the sellers home transferred the money from my Cypriot bank account. and I waited until he confirmed cleared funds two days later and then the car was released. Once the money is in your account it cannot be withdrawn unless you agree or it can be proven that it was a mistake to be credited to your account. In this case as you will have a signed agreement with the purchaser stating that he has purchased your vehicle you will be fine and he would not be able to get funds back.

I flew to the UK despite the seller and vehicle in question being well known on Scoobynet. Do not sell to anyone unless they actually come and see it. Would you buy a vehicle without seeing it?
Old 30 July 2010, 08:28 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

if he really wants the car he should have no problem in coming over and waiting until the cash is in your account and cleared, like stevie1982 said.............
Old 30 July 2010, 12:57 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I helped my friend import / export one to Sweden.

Make sure you read up on what part of th V5 you need to keep, and which one you give away, because it's almost exactly opposite to what happens if you sell a car to a UK based person.

As said above, it's a lot easier to register a car that's already registered in the EU in e.g. Scandinavia and maybe Poland too, and they don't get all the JDM stuff come over to them for that reason, hence looking for cars in the UK instead.

Edit: oh and we paid cash on collection - easiest for everyone involved.
Old 30 July 2010, 01:26 PM
Ricerocket0_1
Scooby Regular

If the potential purchaser is not viewing the car or sending a middle man to do so.......don't trust it!
If the money is coming from dodgy sources, the bank's can still take it back from you weeks later.
Old 30 July 2010, 01:27 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Evo Bizz
You are only giving the guy your sort code and account number. They are both on every cheque you have ever written.
Potential purchaser will have the OPs name & address too if collecting the car (?), perhaps even car reg nr if needed for HPI check ... I'd certainly not pay many £1000s for a car without knowing where it was located!

TX.
Old 30 July 2010, 01:31 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

What about fradulent funds? In theory a fradulent cheque can be paid in to AN Others account only for them to pay it to you once "cleared" to them ie you've got money obtained illegally. In the UK our banks now take this risk on the 2-4-6 principle (2 days to show in account, 4 days until you can draw on it, 6 days until fully cleared & can't be taken back). Not the same in Europe / rest of the world (think ) ...

TX.

Originally Posted by HRT
Once the money is in your account it cannot be withdrawn unless you agree or it can be proven that it was a mistake to be credited to your account.
Old 30 July 2010, 02:40 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

When i bought my P1 i didn't view it first either, i just went by the sellers word and all the pics i was sent. The good thing was that most of the P1WOC users knew the car was absolutely mint which made things easier. The seller drove over from the UK too here for me, i paid for all of his expenditures though, as well as cash for the car. As far as i know you cannot register a RHD car in Poland.
Old 30 July 2010, 05:51 PM
gino
Scooby Regular

As I already posted on a different thread, I live in Sicily and just bought a 2003 wrx from Wrights Motors. I sent them a 200 quid deposit using paypal and took the rest cash on inspection and pick-up in the UK.ONLY take cash, if they're that interested, like I was, they will come and pick it up personally, like I did.I flew to the UK paid picked up my wrx and drove to Genoa then on a ship to Palermo. Only RHD scooby in Sicily. Upholding the honour!

Good luck
Old 30 July 2010, 06:14 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my old Classic to a guy from Sweden! I had an ad on PH and we arranged to meet in Hamburg (I was based in Germany at the time). He flew into Hamburg airport and I picked him up, he inspected the car, handed over the cash, signed a 'sold as seen' agreement and we went our separate ways! I then went straight to put the deposit down on my current Scoob that was 4 and a half years ago!!

Last edited by mervil; 30 July 2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: iPhone changing my words!!